Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently upgraded my phone to a Google pixel 6a. When I set up the Bluetooth connection with my 2015 Crosstrek, I found that the audio would work to the extent that I can play a podcast or music on Spotify, however, the steering wheel controls do not work for pause/play and skip forward and back. Similarly, I can receive a phone call through my speakers but the answer call and hang up control buttons on the steering wheel do not work. This results in me needing to handle my phone to answer calls or pause a podcast, eliminating the benefit of hands-free features. All of the steering wheel control buttons worked fine when my previous phone was paired, which was a Pixel 2.
Also, the audio screen in my Crosstrek does not display the info of what I am listening to or the time elapsed (instead it reads "No audio device connected. Connect a Bluetooth device from the settings menu."). This is not as much of a concern to me as the ability to use the steering wheel controls, but I suspect may be caused by the same issue.
I have tried re-pairing the new phone a few times, as well as restarting the phone, to no success. Does anybody have any tips?

·
Registered
2019 Limited - Suba
605 Posts
I also upgraded to a Pixel 6a last week (from a 3a). I plug in and use Android Auto to play music from Tidal. I also removed the old phone and paired the new one to Bluetooth. I have received and responded (vocally) text messages but have not yet had a phone call while driving. When I have the opportunity I'll investigate and see if I can reproduce your problem. It won't be an exact comparison because I've got a 2019 Limited (without nav).

·
Registered
122 Posts
I recently upgraded my phone to a Google pixel 6a. When I set up the Bluetooth connection with my 2015 Crosstrek, I found that the audio would work to the extent that I can play a podcast or music on Spotify, however, the steering wheel controls do not work for pause/play and skip forward and back. Similarly, I can receive a phone call through my speakers but the answer call and hang up control buttons on the steering wheel do not work. This results in me needing to handle my phone to answer calls or pause a podcast, eliminating the benefit of hands-free features. All of the steering wheel control buttons worked fine when my previous phone was paired, which was a Pixel 2.
Also, the audio screen in my Crosstrek does not display the info of what I am listening to or the time elapsed (instead it reads "No audio device connected. Connect a Bluetooth device from the settings menu."). This is not as much of a concern to me as the ability to use the steering wheel controls, but I suspect may be caused by the same issue.
I have tried re-pairing the new phone a few times, as well as restarting the phone, to no success. Does anybody have any tips?
Is your firmware up to date? You may have to go to the dealer to get it done depending on the model radio. Being in the IT field for 30+ years I can tell you this would be my first question and a possible fix. Your new phone has the same BT version 5 as the 2 did so it should work from that aspect. Could be an incompatibility issue that a firmware update may or may not help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is your firmware up to date? You may have to go to the dealer to get it done depending on the model radio. Being in the IT field for 30+ years I can tell you this would be my first question and a possible fix. Your new phone has the same BT version 5 as the 2 did so it should work from that aspect. Could be an incompatibility issue that a firmware update may or may not help.
As far as I know, the firmware has never been updated, so thanks for this suggestion. My next step was checking with the dealer so I'll see if they can help me with this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts