Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently was driving home and threw a connecting rod, and it blew a hole clean in the motor. Needless to say, I'm going to replace it myself as it is far out of my warranty.

It's a 2014 Premium, CVT, with just shy of 146k miles. There's a local scrapper who tests and pulls motors, and they have one for sale but it's from a 2014 with a manual tranny. Does anyone know if the engine will still match up to that? I've never dealt with boxer engines before this subaru, and my knowledge of swapping motors is relatively limited to Fords.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,721 Posts
Do you have a pic of the hole in your motor?

·
Registered
67 Posts
So I recently was driving home and threw a connecting rod, and it blew a hole clean in the motor. Needless to say, I'm going to replace it myself as it is far out of my warranty.

It's a 2014 limited, CVT, with just shy of 146k miles. There's a local scrapper who tests and pulls motors, and they have one for sale but it's from a 2014 with a manual tranny. Does anyone know if the engine will still match up to that? I've never dealt with boxer engines before this subaru, and my knowledge of swapping motors is relatively limited to Fords.

Sorry to hear about your engine. It should be straight swap over after you transfer all the accessories.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear about your engine. It should be straight swap over after you transfer all the accessories.
Thanks, that's what I'm thinking too. I just wasn't sure if there's anything different about where the engine and transmissions meet.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,721 Posts
not that I think I have to point it out...but yeah towards the top.
Wow, never heard of that with a stock Subaru.

·
Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
827 Posts
Will the OEM wiring harness work on this exchange? Will the donor engine be able to connect to the auto on the broken Crosstrek? Good luck on this and take your time. Bring beer.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
584 Posts
This is awful. I’m surprised because I haven’t heard anyone complain about their FB series engine blowing up.

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek Premium, Sunshine Orange
264 Posts
One way to find out would be to check parts lists to see if the part number for the engine with MT is different from part number with CVT.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks, that's what I'm thinking too. I just wasn't sure if there's anything different about where the engine and transmissions meet.
I can't imagine Subaru wasting money to make a completely different casting to accommodate different bellhousing patterns for the CVT and manual transmission.

With all the various auto to manual conversions that I have done in my life there has never been any difference between bellhousing bolt patterns as long as the engine is in the same family.

Good luck.

·
Registered
431 Posts

It's a 2014 Premium, CVT, with just shy of 146k miles. There's a local scrapper who tests and pulls motors, and they have one for sale but it's from a 2014 with a manual tranny. Does anyone know if the engine will still match up to that? I've never dealt with boxer engines before this subaru, and my knowledge of swapping motors is relatively limited to Fords.

When my '14 blew up at slightly less miles, I took it to a local so called Subaru expert to repair since I didn't want to deal with it. He collects a lot of wrecks so has easy access to engines. Big mistake. Cost me even more money due to his incompetence. After seeing how easily these engines can be changed out, I would not hesitate to change one out if you have the time and the tools. Pretty straight forward, easier than any domestic. You don't even have to remove the hood. There is a second position for the prop rod that lets the hood stand straight up out of the way. The exhaust header to the engine is 6 bolts. Separate the block from the transmission and it comes out relatively easily.

How many miles are on the new engine? When I was pricing, seems like they were from about $1100 to $1500 or so. If I had to do again, I'd get one of the JDMs for the $1500 since they are all low miles and basically look like new.

While you have it down, change out your CVT fluid or that will be the next thing to go.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Part #'s are different on the MT engine vs the one for the CVT. My guess is the flange at the crankshaft is different at a minimum. You should be able to source one for your car fairly easily, one that is plug & play.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Could be. Many years ago when working on a domestic, the difference between a manual to an auto was that the crank was bored to fit the pilot bearing. Could go from manual to auto but not the reverse. Not sure with Subaru. If it comes with the flywheel installed, that could be whats also different.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wow! What causes this to happen? Are there any extra preventative measures to help prevent this?

·
Registered
105 Posts
It doesn't seem as a smart business move to make 2 different engines just because of the trans. Not that it hasn't been done. I would think that running characteristics would be handled by the ecm and that the harness & controls would be the same. Did a swap on a '88 acura that had a 5 pin harness & the engine had 6. Much research before I found #6 was a redundant ground. I don't think you'll have that problem here. You'll need to swap the flywheel for the flex plate of course.
What, I think, most of would like to know is why & how the engine blew.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It doesn't seem as a smart business move to make 2 different engines just because of the trans. Not that it hasn't been done. I would think that running characteristics would be handled by the ecm and that the harness & controls would be the same. Did a swap on a '88 acura that had a 5 pin harness & the engine had 6. Much research before I found #6 was a redundant ground. I don't think you'll have that problem here. You'll need to swap the flywheel for the flex plate of course.
What, I think, most of would like to know is why & how the engine blew.
Nobody ever has or ever will make an engine to fit a specific transmission unless that is the the only transmission that you can get in that vehicle.Like the Bugatti Veyron for instance.In models with a manual or auto trans option,the two transmissions will be made to fit the engine that vehicle comes with.Common sense says that they already spent money on designing a second transmission.The engine costs much more to design and build than the transmission.Why spend even more money to design and build a second engine to fit that second transmission when you can simply make both transmissions fit the same engine?

And no,you will not need to swap the flywheel for a flex plate.Unlike a flywheel,a flex plate has no teeth to mesh with the starter so you wouldn't be able to start the engine.The manual flywheel is thicker with the flat surface that contacts the clutch disk.The auto flywheel is thinner with holes to bolt it to the torque converter.Because you are only swapping the engine,all you need to do is keep your auto trans flywheel and of course,the torque converter,from the auto trans and bolt those to the new engine.If you were swapping the CVT for a manual then you would need the flywheel,clutch and pressure plate from the manual trans car.

Aside from running out of oil,I can only think of one thing that would cause it to throw a rod.Perhaps he was accelerating hard,the revs were high and he wanted to up shift to lower those revs.Instead of pulling the right paddle,he pulled the left which over revved engine.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The paddles will not respond if the revs would be too high in a downshift condition. Have seen several that threw a rod. Mine was close, only going 25mph at the time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts