Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
In my book the head gasket problem is just a myth.Along with my '16 Crosstrek,I still have my '02 Impreza OBS.It has 204k miles and has never had head gasket issues.Besides rusty control arms which were replaced under recall and a rusted subframe which was replaced with the control arms for the cost of the part,it has had no issues at all.If it were real then they would all have issues,which they clearly don't.A head gasket can fail on any engine,at any time,no matter the make,model or year.It's the luck of the draw.
Not a myth. Go to the Subaru Outback forum and read the thread where people report mileage when they lose a HG. https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/hg-failure-log-no-discussion-log-only.18583/. I had a HG go on our outback at just under 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Not a myth. Go to the Subaru Outback forum and read the thread where people report mileage when they lose a HG. https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/hg-failure-log-no-discussion-log-only.18583/. I had a HG go on our outback at just under 60,000 miles.
If it's not a myth then why has my '02 not blown a head gasket after nearly 4 times the mileage?If it wasn't a myth then they would all blow around the same time and that includes the 5 Subarus I have owned as well as at least 5 more that belonged to my friends and family.How do you explain those cars that didn't have any HG issues after 100s of 1000s of miles?Go to any auto forum and you will find someone who has blown a head gasket.Anything made by the hand of man can fail at any time.Once again,it's the luck of the draw.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,308 Posts
Yeah, none of my past Subarus (incl one 2.5 engine) had any HG failures, and all went to high mileage. But I do remember the older 2.5's were known to have some.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If it's not a myth then why has my '02 not blown a head gasket after nearly 4 times the mileage?If it wasn't a myth then they would all blow around the same time and that includes the 5 Subarus I have owned as well as at least 5 more that belonged to my friends and family.How do you explain those cars that didn't have any HG issues after 100s of 1000s of miles?Go to any auto forum and you will find someone who has blown a head gasket.Anything made by the hand of man can fail at any time.Once again,it's the luck of the draw.
So...you say it doesn’t happen...but does in some cases...? You can’t have your cake and eat it too. you are one of he lucky ones who have dodged the HG gasket...plain and simple

·
Registered
36 Posts
Definitely not a myth. It was endemic from the mid '90s into the early 2000's. My '99 Outback head gaskets failed. I didn't realize at first that the syrupy sweet exhaust smell was gasket failure, but it had continuous overheating problems and I finally googled "Subaru Overheating." What came up, among other things, was a blog post from the owner of Smart Service in Seattle, 1000 miles away. He told me on the phone that Subaru updated the head gasket part number 5 times during that period to try to find a fix. The late '90s gaskets leaked internally, but with the early 2000s models you would figure it out sooner because the failed gasket would spill coolant into your driveway. My Subie guy in North Hollywood fixed mine, but I was in line behind 8 other Outbacks and Foresters waiting in his yard with the same problem. I still loved that car!!!

Doesn't seem to be a thing anymore, but now IMO it's CV Axle issues...

·
Registered
417 Posts
If it's not a myth then why has my '02 not blown a head gasket after nearly 4 times the mileage?
Because you got lucky.

Everyone has heard of friend of a friend's grandpa who smoked three packs a day and made it to 95 years old without getting lung cancer, but that doesn't disprove all that stuff about smoking giving you cancer. He just beat the odds. So did you. That's all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would never put up with a vehicle that leaked oil from a head gasket or anywhere else, I my family has owned 4 camrys and two four runners and 2 Chevrolet Equinox, none have ever leaked or used 1 drop of oil, if they did they would be sold or repaired because of that issue, it’s an issue that should
Not be ignored, it would be the equivlant in my humble opinion of leaking a few drops of blood in your stool or urine, it’s an issue that should be corrected,best of luck to all
Tigerpawn
Gee thats a bit dramatic. Some minor oil leaks if minor make no sense to fix if they are hard to reach without major dismemberment. Its amazing how a slighly wet under carriage or a drop every week or so becomes less important in the face of a couple of thousand dollars to fix it and of course all the "while you have it apart" work. Depends on the use/purpose of the car I guess.

You would hate my 1960 Morris, it doesnt even have a rear main seal just a helical slinger that throws the oil back into the pan while running. Of course when you stop running the residual oil drips off and out leaving a couple of spots to mark its territory.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
453 Posts
Gee thats a bit dramatic. Some minor oil leaks if minor make no sense to fix if they are hard to reach without major dismemberment. Its amazing how a slighly wet under carriage or a drop every week or so becomes less important in the face of a couple of thousand dollars to fix it and of course all the "while you have it apart" work. Depends on the use/purpose of the car I guess.

You would hate my 1960 Morris, it doesnt even have a rear main seal just a helical slinger that throws the oil back into the pan while running. Of course when you stop running the residual oil drips off and out leaving a couple of spots to mark its territory.
The old Camry started leaking a bit from the rear seal at 200,000 miles and I was very proud of that car. A few drops of oil after driving most of the distance to the moon. Got no problem with that at all.
I'm hoping that the Subaru can hold up as well.
A new engine,on the other hand, shouldn't leak oil at all.

·
Registered
232 Posts
2004 Subaru Forester 2.5XS, head gasket driver's side went south at 137,000 miles. T'weren't cheap at all for the rebuild. 14,000 miles later, new noises coming from somewhere in the valves when it got cold outside. Traded it in the Spring for the '18 Crossey.

1979 Subaru GL Wagon dual-range 4WD, the tranny started hemorrhaging from the rear seal. Traded it in for a 1986 Subaru GL Wagon dual-range 4WD - that series had a whole host of problems: CVJ boots, timing belts (lost one close to home, good thing that the 1.8 liter was a non-interference valve setup or the engine would have been toast), wonky carburetor. But I drove the '86 for 168,000 miles, some of them pretty rocky miles, until the engine just got worn out.

Had a 2003 Impreza wagon with the 2.5 liter, but that got stolen at 86,000 miles, so before any serious issues revealed. Solid little wagon it was.

Shall see how the '18 Crossey fairs over the coming years, what with all the technogeewizardry built in. So far, very good. But she is young, still so young.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,501 Posts
Had a 2003 Impreza wagon with the 2.5 liter, but that got stolen at 86,000 miles, so before any serious issues revealed. Solid little wagon it was.
That's the solution - we should just park our Subarus in a shady part of town just before 100K... ?

·
Registered
232 Posts
That's the solution - we should just park our Subarus in a shady part of town just before 100K... ?
My '03 Subie was stolen from my carport the morning after Thanksgiving 2011 by my neighbor's meth-head, thieving son who was recently out of stir where he did 8 years for drug possession, assault, and robbery. He was later apprehended in 2012 for other crimes, to include multiple counts of grand theft auto, felony menacing, and attempted robbery, and is currently a resident in the Colorado State Prison where I hope he is kept until the End of Time.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My '03 Subie was stolen from my carport the morning after Thanksgiving 2011 by my neighbor's meth-head, thieving son who was recently out of stir where he did 8 years for drug possession, assault, and robbery. He was later apprehended in 2012 for other crimes, to include multiple counts of grand theft auto, felony menacing, and attempted robbery, and is currently a resident in the Colorado State Prison where I hope he is kept until the End of Time.
I feel like I've heard of this case. Did you get it back amateurishly repainted and contaminated with meth residue?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I feel like I've heard of this case. Did you get it back amaterishly repainted and contaminated with meth residue?
Why yes. How/why could/would you know this? Though I imagine this happens a lot so it's a common story across the land.

I got a call from the Police about a week after the theft indicating that my Subie was found and was at Impound. My insurance company processed my theft claim stunningly fast, within a week, and paid out. So technically, they already owned the Subie when I got the call.

I went to Impound to visit my Subie. I was told I had 15 minutes to get whatever was mine out of the car. Yeah, it had been painted over with flat black primer, The front grill was missing. The right rear custom wheel had been swapped out with the steeley spare: the custom was in the back and bent, along with a couple of computer printers (?). The interior was pretty much thrashed, bunch of crap scattered about, had a very strong bitter chemical smell. The ScanGauge II was gone, but the comm cable was still installed. I found six lighters in the car. A couple of personal items were left, so I gathered those up. The Subie would have needed a full sand and repaint, parts replacement (light clusters, trim), full wheel replacement, alignment, and who knows what else this creature and his punk boys jacked up. The chemical contamination alone was enough to total the car. But the Subie was no longer mine. And this wasn't this creature's first Subie theft.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Why yes. How/why could/would you know this? Though I imagine this happens a lot so it's a common story across the land.
I half-remembered reading about it before. Upon investigation I discovered you've mentioned it here before, in this thread. I had also participated in that thread, so I'm thinking that's where I saw it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
So, according to the heading of this thread, just how many head gaskets have blown on the 2.0l Crosstrek? This should be listed out, year, miles, transmission at time of blowout. Crosstreks only.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,501 Posts
I half-remembered reading about it before. Upon investigation I discovered you've mentioned it here before, in this thread. I had also participated in that thread, so I'm thinking that's where I saw it.
LOL, I was getting that deja vu feeling, too but, clearly, I wasn't using the correct search terms... ?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts