Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
BicycleMad, Do your rear struts seem very harsh when going over bump stops a low speed?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Awesome news, thanks for posting! Do you know if they are going to be crimp-top or not? If not, then they can be disassembled & re-valved for stiffer springs.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've been impatiently waiting for Bilstein struts to be made... I'm going to call them to let them know I am very eagerly awaiting their release!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just traded emails with the Bilstein America and they indicated they are developing struts for the Crosstrek. They make a fantastic high pressure Shock/Strut.

Merry Christmas to all.

Bicyclemad
I was wondering if anyone could comment on how R&D in the industry works between conceptualization, design and product distribution. That is, when do you think Bilstein might come out with the product? I'm asking because my '15 Crosstrek has finally developed that infamous "clunk" on the driver's side suspension. I can live with it now because it doesn't clunk unless I go rather fast over a dip or sewage drain channel. If I slow my car over these aspects of the road it won't sound at all, so 99% of the time I can avoid making it have the sound.

The weird thing is I tried duplicating it with the engine off by jumping on the driver's side door sill to get it to clunk and it won't do it for the life of me and I weigh 155lbs. I sure hope it isn't the axle that's clunking 'cuz that was replaced under warranty last year.

If I do need to replace the front struts, I don't plan on going back to OEM. Thus, I'm willing to wait about a year for the Bilsteins. Thanks!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm ashamed to say, I've driven over 40,000 miles past the time I figured out my shocks were not sufficiently working well.

I ended up emailing Bilstein's USA branch... I have yet to get a response. Maybe I should have just given them a phone call first.

·
Registered
295 Posts
When I get back from Bilstein I will also contact Bilstein to get more info; I mean, if they already have a set in the JDM market, there shouldn't be a delay for its release elsewhere. Peace y'all.

·
Registered
943 Posts
There is a guy in NYC @flat4x4ish who has them on his crosstrek. In a comment he said he "got them from the Japan Market"
He paid over a $1,000 for them also!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Relative to the speed you go over the bumps at not too bad. I think an eventual strut upgrade will help a lot.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For sure Bilsteins aren't cheap.....they far outperform anything else out there though. They are extremely durable as well.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I got the Japanese market Bilstein shocks... I paid about $2000 for the parts themselves and shipping.

So far I do notice a big improvement over severe bumps and tiny jumps. But I have not fully tested them yet...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bilstein offers B6 for the front shocks, and B4 for front and rear shocks. When I spoke with the Bilstein rep and emailed them, they couldn't definitively say that B6 shocks are in development for the rear, but it seems like something that should be coming down the pipeline.

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Just seen this on Tire Rack. Bilstein's front and rear for my Crosstrek. Prices are reasonable for Bilstein's.

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Crosstrek&autoYear=2017&autoModClar=2.0i+Limited
Wow...

This is news to me. I guess being impatient and buying the Japanese-market Bilstein B6 shocks was a terrible idea. I lost about $2000 on importing the Japanese Bilstein B6 shocks.

Thank you so much, for posting this! :happy:

EDIT: part numbers to be posted below:

Front Left (upgrade over OEM, Bilstein B6)
22-278371

Front Right (upgrade over OEM, Bilstein B6)
22-278388

Front Left (OE grade, Bilstein B4)
22-278340

Front Right (OE grade, Bilstein B4)
22-278357

Rear (OE grade, Bilstein B4) [quantity 2 required]
19-278360

So this means the North American market finally gets the upgraded Bilstein B6 front shock absorbers. However, we do NOT get the upgraded rear shock absorbers that the Japanese market gets. For the full Bilstein B6 shock absorber upgrade, one must purchase the Japanese-market Bilstein B6 rear shock absorbers, part number listed below:

Rear (upgrade over OEM, Bilstein B6) [quantity 2 required, Japanese domestic market only, requires importing]
BE5-3296J

1 - 20 of 35 Posts