Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
XV Crosstrek 2014 Premium 2.0i 6MT
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the first things I did when I got my car was to upgrade the stereo system. At the time, a lot of reading led me to believe that it could be beneficial to do a grounding mod on my car, usually called ''The big 3''. While the claims of benefits varied in both number and credibility depending on the source, improved sound quality and sharper throttle response were the 2 most common.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a link: DIY Additional Grounding

So what I did:

I used 4gauge wire protected in a meshed sleeve, sanded and used diaelectric grease on the grounding points and connected the following paths:
-Alternator positive to breaker to battery positive (In addition to the original positive wire);
-Battery negative to chassis;
-Throttle body to TB/transmission grounding point;
-Battery negative to alternator bracket to passenger side grounding point to TB/transmission grounding point.

Later on, I found out that the 2 grounding wires that go from my heads (under the engine, vis-à-vis AVCS sprockets) to chassis were so corroded I was scared to touch them. So I rewired those too. Its a good thing I did because a couple of months later the OEM grounding wires I had left there had broken off completely.
Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Gas Tool

I wasn't expecting to notice any difference from this mod but I actually did feel that the throttle response had become instantly much sharper. Unfortunately, that is not an observation that I can measure so believe me or not IDC.

Anyways, I am curious to hear what other people of this forum think about this mod now. In the last 10 years, the amount of electronics in cars exploded, increasing the electrical needs and complexity of the system. I am wondering if this had a positive effect on circuit management (beter grounding, more stable current, etc.) on recent vehicles or if it left even more room for improvement?

·
Registered
XV Crosstrek 2014 Premium 2.0i 6MT
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh man, grounding wire mods bring me all the way back to the early 2000s! I don't remember ever seeing any actual measured data over the years.
Me neither, it seems that a good electrical system is more important than ever but since this mod isn't discussed much anymore, I am wondering if it's because:
a) It never made any difference and people got tired of trying it.
b) More recent cars have such good electrical systems that it's not relevant anymore.
c) People forgot this is a thing.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think generally speaking, as you mentioned in your first post, having a good ground to places that are supposed to be grounded is always a good idea. Kinda crazy to see the OEM grounding strap was just unshielded braid.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I think nowadays car have much better electrical system, this grounding effect is unnoticeable. Even when you install massive sound system, you can tell your alternator struggling first before you find grounding issue.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is interesting. I never heard of grounding mods but I routinely check and spray WD40/Silicone etc on all the grounding straps I can find in the engine bay. Been doing that since new because I know the salt around here will eat up those flat braid straps as shown in the photo above.
Thanks for sharing this info, I will def do more research on the big 3.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts