Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Perhaps, and maybe that is where we are heading,... for everyone. As pilots, we often talk about how inadequate the driving tests are, when you see the crazy drivers on the road. And most of the worst are not old either. I think the insurance companies do a pretty good job, too, of recognizing risks, which is why new drivers, and those with a bad driving records pay more. But we can do better, I'm sure. Although it would take some major, major political will to make really meaningful changes.
I don't disagree. Here, it's easy for a very young person to get a license to drive a car and very hard to take it away from a very old person.

Perhaps the lobbyists for older people are earning their keep. Not sure that's good for society, though.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,016 Posts
I don't disagree. Here, it's easy for a very young person to get a license to drive a car and very hard to take it away from a very old person.

Perhaps the lobbyists for older people are earning their keep. Not sure that's good for society, though.
Don't know about lobbyists, but I do know that politicians are wary about taking away any freedoms (incl harmful ones) from any people, young or old. I do have to applaud BC, and some other Canadian provinces from moving forward with the cognitive testing, though. But it should be applied to people of all ages...

In CA, are motorcyclists still allowed to ride without helmets?

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
In CA, are motorcyclists still allowed to ride without helmets?
I don't think so, and I read recently that a proponent was killed riding without a helmet. Perhaps not his fault (except for the part about riding a powerful motorcycle at speed with no protection). Darwin Award?

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
2,016 Posts
I used to ride on the streets in my younger days, and after a couple close calls (by crazy drivers), decided not worth the risk. Even a helmet won't save you if you are run over by a car or truck on the freeway. Having said that, we have a couple of dirt bikes at the cabin, and enjoy routing around the old logging roads up there. Certainly a lot safer than in the city.

But I most enjoy mountain biking, again at our cabin. Besides great exercise, it is also very enjoyable with the scenery (views) and fresh air. It does have its risk, too, though, and I have had a couple bad crashes. I do wear a helmet of course, but also full armour (body pads) now. A few years ago, I got a bit careless going too fast around a downhill corner. Ended up flying a** over tea kettle bashing my head (helmet) against some rocks. I had a huge welt and scrape where the edges of the helmet dug into my head. But the scary part was what my helmet looked like with the gouges and scrapes it got. So yeah, I am a big advocate of helmets, whether on a motor bike or mountain bike. I think people are crazy not to wear them.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
When I was a teenage driver there were seatbelts but no seatbelt laws so, of course, no one wore them. No airbags then, either. In countries like the UK and Canada there's a good argument for nanny state type policies (seatbelts, helmets, soda/alcohol/tobacco taxes, etc.) because the taxpayers are picking up the tab for the healthcare.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts