Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere to get a new front bumper that offers a better attack angle and sump protection? I’ve already mashed up my front bumper pretty good and I’m also concerned with water and other road debris coming up into the engine bay or damaging the transmission or oil pan

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Yup, that is the limiting factor for off-road as I found out last week. Go to post #518 to read about my experience.
I haven't liked some of the other front bumper deletes/replacements I have seen so far. I would like to mostly retain the existing one, just maybe trim and replace the bottom with a sloping skid plate. Doesn't have to be a lot actually.A few inches more clearance there would do the trick.

In my case, the rear hitch was a problem, too. But I know there are other hitches where the lower receiver part can be removed.

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the more I look the more it appears that tubular bumpers are what everyone is heading towards. What about skid protection under the engine and transmission?

·
Registered
203 Posts
the more I look the more it appears that tubular bumpers are what everyone is heading towards. What about skid protection under the engine and transmission?
Most people run primitive skids. Pretty good product and affordable. Only down side is trashing your radiator mount if you’re using them often.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I would prefer one that is not so obtrusive. I only need a few more inches clearance on the front bumper with an upward sloping front skid plate there. I found the rest of my clearance underneath was just fine for my purposes. But I do need a better approach angle.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
It's the actually angle I need more of, just a few inches higher would do it for me.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Sounds like a really minimal bumper chop would be the answer
Yeah, if you could do it without substantially changing the look of the car. I haven't really looked at mine too closely to see what could be done. I usually don't push it to that extreme off-road. And even my Mt Cheam climb was doable once I learned to approach and exit the wash-outs at an angle. And in hindsight, wish I would have got the rear hitch with the removable receiver portion. I think Chicken has that one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah, if you could do it without substantially changing the look of the car. I haven't really looked at mine too closely to see what could be done. I usually don't push it to that extreme off-road. And even my Mt Cheam climb was doable once I learned to approach and exit the wash-outs at an angle. And in hindsight, wish I would have got the rear hitch with the removable receiver portion. I think Chicken has that one.
I have just the basic U-Haul hitch mount right now. It ended up working as a bumper protector on a big step down. That was probably not a good thing. I wish it was a removable mount, but I also wonder what it would've done to the bumper too.

I sometimes think bridging ladders might be just the thing I need.

·
Vendor
61 Posts
Below is the Relations Race Wheels bumper that we developed for this purpose exactly. It'll give you the maximum front end clearance, using a tubular design to save weight, and provide a clean looking design that won't just look like a bulky piece of metal on the front. It works well with the Primitive Racing skid plates, and provides mounting points for a winch, for those looking to recover themselves in sticky situations.

We've even got a second design, so you can choose between V1 designs or V2. The other one is almost finished with prototype production, but it's more Baja style than the current one.

Check them out here, you can use code 4x4subi for a $150 discount for each bumper, up to $300 off the bumper set. We've got the rear as well, if you want the car to match front and rear.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Below is the Relations Race Wheels bumper that we developed for this purpose exactly. It'll give you the maximum front end clearance, using a tubular design to save weight, and provide a clean looking design that won't just look like a bulky piece of metal on the front. It works well with the Primitive Racing skid plates, and provides mounting points for a winch, for those looking to recover themselves in sticky situations.

We've even got a second design, so you can choose between V1 designs or V2. The other one is almost finished with prototype production, but it's more Baja style than the current one.

Check them out here, you can use code 4x4subi for a $150 discount for each bumper, up to $300 off the bumper set. We've got the rear as well, if you want the car to match front and rear.

View attachment 297518
The front middle looks OK, but somehow the sides in front of the wheels don't look right to me. I am looking for a minimal change to the overall looks of the Crosstrek. I only need a few more inches of clearance in the front. This one almost makes it look like a lady bug... sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts