Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any suggestions on a better tire for the oem 18" wheels than the stock falkens?
I know the GEOLANDAR A/T G015 is a good AT alternative, but any others that people like?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I would recommend theNokian Entyre C/S because it has Nokian's latest technology tread compound and aramid fibers in the sidewalls to resist punctures. A durable all-season CUV tire perfect for our Crosstrek's. .

You can special order from Discount Tire / America's Tire. Here is a link to get an idea of price to match: https://simpletire.com/nokian-225-55r18-t430394-tires

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would recommend theNokian Entyre C/S because it has Nokian's latest technology tread compound and aramid fibers in the sidewalls to resist punctures. A durable all-season CUV tire perfect for our Crosstrek's. .

You can special order from Discount Tire / America's Tire. Here is a link to get an idea of price to match: https://simpletire.com/nokian-225-55r18-t430394-tires
Nokian is a good tire. Although the one recommended above is a run flat. Which increases the price of the tire and road noise. Budget aside the road noise on a run flat is annoying. This is a hard question to answer without more context. Are you in a climate that receives snow? Do you want summer tires? All season? All weather? Budget? Do you want tires for one season specifically or all year long? Are you wanting something strictly for one use like off-roading?

If you live in an area that gets snow and you want a tire that can perform well in all conditions throughout the year without having multiple tire sets for different seasons I'd recommend the nokian WR G3 SUV - https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-wr-g3-suv/user-opinions/ - it's a great all weather tire with a good warranty and 30-day swap guarantee.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Feelin your pain. If I would of known that finding AT options in an 18 would of have been such a hassle I may of reconsidered my model.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Consumer Reports rates;

Michelin Crossclimate and
General RT43

highly.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Nokian is a good tire. Although the one recommended above is a run flat. Which increases the price of the tire and road noise. Budget aside the road noise on a run flat is annoying. This is a hard question to answer without more context. Are you in a climate that receives snow? Do you want summer tires? All season? All weather? Budget? Do you want tires for one season specifically or all year long? Are you wanting something strictly for one use like off-roading?

If you live in an area that gets snow and you want a tire that can perform well in all conditions throughout the year without having multiple tire sets for different seasons I'd recommend the nokian WR G3 SUV - https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-wr-g3-suv/user-opinions/ - it's a great all weather tire with a good warranty and 30-day swap guarantee.

The Nokian Enyure C/S is not a run flat tire. Simple Tire mistakenly lists it as such, but it is not. Good catch on that! https://www.nokiantires.com/all-season-tires/nokian-entyre-c-s/

The General Altimax RT43 does get good ratings from CR, but it has a very soft and rather thin sidewall, so I would not recommend them for any off road driving. And since the OP mentioned Yokohama's AT tire, I am assuming he wants a durable tire, but not necessarily a heavy duty tire. The Nokian Entyre 2.0, Entyre C/S or WR-G3 would be excellent choices for OP's needs.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Trekaroo, thanks for the heads-up;

If I buy the General Altimax RT43s , I'll get them with the road hazard warranty from Walmart.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Anyone have any suggestions on a better tire for the oem 18" wheels than the stock falkens?
I know the GEOLANDAR A/T G015 is a good AT alternative, but any others that people like?
IMHO...just about anything is better...I would be going the Michelin route...on all our cars in the last15 or so years

·
Registered
5 Posts
While I haven't used the General Alitimax RT43 on the Crosstrek, I have used them on both a 2007 RAV4 & a 2014 Forester. I chose them because they were all season tires that performed decently in the snow. They are rated 700 AA - so good traction, excellent tread ware & relatively well priced. So far, they look like the option I would go with on the Crosstrek - but I will use the stock tires until they are ready for replacement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does Yokohama produce the Geolandar A/T G015 in a 225/55R18? I cant find anybody that sells it.

·
Registered
722 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been pulling them up on the net, but anytime I call a shop locally they tell me no dice.. it's weird!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Go to tirerack.com com and research your tires there. Look up your size, narrow it down to the type of tire you want and go from there. They have in depth reviews and ratings for all of their tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This an e-mail I received this morning from Yokohama. Like I said, weird.

''Good day,
Thank you for contacting Yokohama Canada Inc.
Unfortunately, the Geolandar G015 is not available under the 225/55R18.
The 225/55R18 is not a popular tire size under the A/T application.
As a substitution, we could offer you the Geolandar G055. The tire size you are looking for is available under this tire model.
The Geolandar G055 has been specially designed for SUV vehicle.''

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here are my freshly mounted 18 " Blizzacks mounted on Focal wheels. Both found at tirerack. Not sure what model the wheel is though as the dealer bought them for me. It does bring up an issue when buying wheels. These lug nuts require a splined socket. I never cared for locking or special lug nuts..anyway I think they look nice. The blizzacks are surprisingly quiet.

newtires.jpg

·
Registered
2018 Premium w eyesight, Falken Wildpeak 225/60R16, Yakima SkyBox 16, etc.
8 Posts
Any thoughts on the NOKIAN TIRE WR G4 SUV?

·
Registered
140 Posts
If yu are not choosy and want to save some bucks you might keep an eye out for Subaru folks selling their street rims and tires for cheap to put on more capable off road equipment. Some have ditched nearly new rims and rubber for very reasonable prices with almost no miles on the tires. Often the tires and rims are sold in combination, but you might make someone else happy getting their nearly new OEM tires.

·
Registered
270 Posts
What is your reasoning for changing tires? Looking for more capability or aesthetics? What terrains do you find yourself on most often? Are you in a snowy area? If you're sure you want A/Ts and plan to stay in the car for a bit, it may make more sense to go ahead and size down to something in the 15"-17" range. The 18"s on the Ltd really limit your options and A/Ts in that particular size certainly exist but aren't always easy to find and can sometimes be a bit pricier.

As far as G015s in that size are you only looking for places that have them already in stock? You will likely need to special order that size. The 235/60/18 variant is probably a little too big but would be a great size with a lift. I have been very satisfied with my G015s as they are more than capable enough for this car off-road and have wonderful road manners for the other 95% of the time.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Consumer Reports rates these well.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts