Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I was curious what everyone's favorite all-terrain tires are? If you want to say why, even better!

Personally, I love the BFG's K02's: They have that classic/aggressive off-road look, they're widely available, they work in the snow well too, and they have excellent reviews/ratings.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Had at least 3 sets of BFG AT KO's on my Jeep. Thought they were the best, until I tried General Grabber AT2's on my Crosstrek. I did slash a BFG KO in the desert on a sharp rock that rendered it non usable. I've ventured in the same area many times, same trails in my Crosstrek with the General Grabbers without issue. Last weekend was 140 miles off road.
I'm on my 2nd set of Grabbers and love them. An Aussie off road mag rated the General Grabbers #1 out of several A/T tires in a test a few years ago and BFG A/T KO was last place. I linked to the test in this forum a few years ago under Tires and Wheels, I think in '13. Anyway the General Grabbers have carried me to a GPS verified 110 MPH and performed perfect without undue vibration
or bad highway manners. They have also done superb in torrential rain, mud, slushy snow at freeway speeds and an admirable job off road as stated before.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I will be looking into General Grabber AT/X. They just came out and seem to be better than AT2.

Here is what i posted in another thread: (http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/wheels-tires/161666-general-grabber-at2-discontinued.html#post1885162)

From the website:

""The best of both worlds, the GRABBER ATX was born from the GRABBER X3s strong and stylish sidewall combined with the reliable and consistent tread elements of the GRABBER AT2. DuraGen Technology provides long, even wear with excellent cut and chip resistance and Traction Notches offer additional grip in dirt, snow and all loose surfaces.........This tire is perfect no matter the weather as it features the Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake mark and has a studdable design for those that desire added ice grip."

Reactions: black86

·
Registered
4 Posts
Being a city-dweller, I don't get much opportunity to off-road and haven't yet been able to justify the expense. But, man! I do like the look of AT tires on a Crosstrek!
This is how I feel. I just got my 18 Crosstrek and absolutely love the look of the more aggressive tires, but I also mostly drive in the city and longer trips on the interstate, and dont do much off roading, so Im not sure how to feel about throwing on tires like that for aesthetics.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is how I feel. I just got my 18 Crosstrek and absolutely love the look of the more aggressive tires, but I also mostly drive in the city and longer trips on the interstate, and dont do much off roading, so Im not sure how to feel about throwing on tires like that for aesthetics.
If I do get a set, I'd probably leave them stacked in the garage and just throw them on in the winter... or if I'm planning a camping trip or something. But that would mean I'd have to invest in a decent impact wrench for all those tire changes.... :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well damn, seems like everyone is a big fan of those General Grabbers. Thanks for all the input, will have to check them out! Those of you that have them (or similar tires): are they an acceptable daily driver (road noise, handling, ride quality, road noise etc) on the highway/in the city? If one were going camping/off-roading wit them weekly/bi-weekly, could they be left on year round or is it best to swap out as needed? And lastly, how do they preform in sand and mud?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I got Yoko 015's for my dad's Durango/4runner mainly bc he does less than 1k miles per set offroading on sets that have lasted over 50k miles. great onroad manners and mpg with enough off-road cred to not worry about another set of tires. I'm in the same boat with my Crosstrek... I'd love to try the new continental, but would rather not run the stock size and no 15" offered...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
Great Thread. This is something I plan to do later down the track also, but I want to put them on the stock 18" wheels the car came with. Does anyone know if the GG's come in this size or am I better off sourcing some specific off road wheels and tyres for these occasional events?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I picked up the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S tires for my set of Method Race wheels about two years ago and they are fantastic. I avoided the chunkier BFG and General Grabber options as I spend most of my time driving through city streets and wanted something a bit quieter on the highway. These perform great in the few off-road situations I've been in while still maintaining daily driver comfort.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Great Thread. This is something I plan to do later down the track also, but I want to put them on the stock 18" wheels the car came with. Does anyone know if the GG's come in this size or am I better off sourcing some specific off road wheels and tyres for these occasional events?
what's stock on the 18"... 225/55? I highly doubt.

did an a/t tirerack search for that size...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surv...8&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

good 'ol 015 more highway tire with enough all terrain features

·
Registered
203 Posts
what's stock on the 18"... 225/55? I highly doubt.

did an a/t tirerack search for that size...

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surv...8&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

good 'ol 015 more highway tire with enough all terrain features

Yeah thats the size. I knew they were limited options in that size. I did however see Cooper Tyres do a H/T tyre (90% highway and 10% off road) for the 18" wheel. I think Dunlop do a GrandTrek tyre for them also. But nothing of major A/T significance. I jus't dont want to bother about getting new wheels to get A/T tyres.

https://www.coopertires.com.au/our-range/suvcar-tyres/cs5-grand-touring/

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yeah thats the size. I knew they were limited options in that size. I did however see Cooper Tyres do a H/T tyre (90% highway and 10% off road) for the 18" wheel. I think Dunlop do a GrandTrek tyre for them also. But nothing of major A/T significance. I jus't dont want to bother about getting new wheels to get A/T tyres.

https://www.coopertires.com.au/our-range/suvcar-tyres/cs5-grand-touring/
I hear ya. didn't realize you were down under. gl hf!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.