Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had a 2016 Crosstrek. Don't love it due to lack of horsepower. But I live on Long island, and want to know if this thing is beach ready. It has the stock tires. Probably will get KO2s for it but not right away. Anyone have some insight into this? Have taken it (2016 Crosstrek) off-road or beach?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
1,330 Posts
Beach ready as in driving on the sand? I've seen vehicles do this, but most are large SUV's or trucks. If you try this, lower your tires to 12 PSI or less or you will get stuck.

Disclaimer: I have never tried this with the Crosstrek and don't intend to.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Are you talking about the hard packed areas or actually playing near the water? I don't recommend the latter but as stated you can air down (keep a tire pump with you) and keep your momentum and you'll be fine. Mine on stock tires did fine in Oceano Dunes here in CA. Bring a tow strap and usual safety items in case of emergencies.

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,159 Posts
Are you talking about the hard packed areas or actually playing near the water? I don't recommend the latter but as stated you can air down (keep a tire pump with you) and keep your momentum and you'll be fine. Mine on stock tires did fine in Oceano Dunes here in CA. Bring a tow strap and usual safety items in case of emergencies.
On our last trip up the coast I proposed taking our Crosstrek to the Oceano Dunes. I got that "Hell No!" look and didn't mention it again, LOL!

·
Registered
21 Sport
1,934 Posts
So, I've had a 2016 Crosstrek. . But I live on Long island, and want to know if this thing is beach ready. It has the stock tires. Probably will get KO2s for it but not right away. Anyone have some insight into this? Have taken it (2016 Crosstrek) off-road or beach?

Thanks!!!
"Don't love it due to lack of horsepower"

and plans to get KO2s :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2020 Crosstrek Premium 6MT
307 Posts

[/QUOT

I was thinking same thing. KO2s are quite heavy and will impact power even more.

I wouldn't recommend taking it to the beach, especially if you haven't done beach driving before. Things can go wrong if you are not cognizant of the surroundings and you will have only until high tide to get out. More fun to sit back with a beer and watch others figure it out.

Living in California, I have seen the damage caused by salt from driving on beaches regularly. However, you might already have that from snow driving back east. We don't use salt on our roads here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, I've had a 2016 Crosstrek. Don't love it due to lack of horsepower. But I live on Long island, and want to know if this thing is beach ready. It has the stock tires. Probably will get KO2s for it but not right away. Anyone have some insight into this? Have taken it (2016 Crosstrek) off-road or beach?

Thanks!!!
Get some Wild Peak A/T’s on your stock rims, air down to 15lbs and you’ll be fine, I have a 2019 with WP A/T’s and have no issues. Most important do a lil research on driving on loose sand. I’ve been driving LI beaches for like 20yrs is various vehicles.
Make sure you have “all” the required stuff on the permit cause the park & state police do check and if you do get stuck & don’t have a permit and the proper stuff to get you unstuck, you’re screwed & most ppl who paid for there permit and have all the proper stuff will drive right past you! Get you new tires some gear and enjoy!!

·
Resident topic drifter
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
16,159 Posts
Get some Wild Peak A/T’s on your stock rims, air down to 15lbs and you’ll be fine, I have a 2019 with WP A/T’s and have no issues. Most important do a lil research on driving on loose sand. I’ve been driving LI beaches for like 20yrs is various vehicles.
Make sure you have “all” the required stuff on the permit cause the park & state police do check and if you do get stuck & don’t have a permit and the proper stuff to get you unstuck, you’re screwed & most ppl who paid for there permit and have all the proper stuff will drive right past you! Get you new tires some gear and enjoy!!
Maybe you're OK in LI. The nearest beach here with vehicle access is in Oxnard. Not sure it's worth messing up your Crosstrek and maybe getting stuck. There are some guys who've made a business out of pulling people out of the sand.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i 6MT
25 Posts
Maybe you're OK in LI. The nearest beach here with vehicle access is in Oxnard. Not sure it's worth messing up your Crosstrek and maybe getting stuck. There are some guys who've made a business out of pulling people out of the sand.

+1

Seems risky, but a high potential for a win. To the OP, have you considered going out with one or two friends who have off road vehicles with recovery equipment? That'll be a good test and will let you know if it's worth investing in tools to air down and up....maybe a shovel and some traction boards.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek
7 Posts
Took my 2017 with K02's aired down to 15 psi out on the beach at Hither Hills last year. Camped for two nights, have all the required gear including traction boards. She handled great in the sand, even the soft stuff and the small dune you need to get up and over. Straight to the car wash to get the undercarriage cleaned after. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The factory tires would do better in sand than KO2’s. What works in sand is a light tire and the correct air pressure. Too much air and you’ll just dig holes. Not enough and you’ll blow a bead. Somewhere between 15 and 20 psi has worked for me. If you get in trouble you can drop it lower to get out but be aware of the risks. Don’t make sudden sharp turns and make sure the tires are rolling before you turn the wheel at all. I wouldn’t go less than 12psi.

I also stay away from the water. I’ll get a feel for the sand and drive in the soft dry stuff where I can.

And bring a shovel! Digging with your hands sucks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts