Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
XV Crosstrek 2014 Limited 2.0i 5MT
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I progress through my Crosstrek projects, I am getting more and more wires attaching to the battery post terminals. I want to install some LEDs but I'm thinking of reorganizing my wires before it gets too cluttered. One of the things I would like to do is replace the battery post terminals with bigger ones.

I read that some vehicles have battery management systems that can affect your equipment if you start adding new wires to the battery. Can someone tell me if there is anything I have to watch for with our Crosstrek?

Also, my positive terminal post looks like this:

What's that gray thing with the fuse connected to the post? Since all stock wires were connected to it, I didn't want to risk bypassing it, but I'd like to know what I'm doing instead of guessing. If I replace the posts with something like this, do I have to keep this gray thing for the stock wires?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
The grey thing with a fuse is actually a fusible link. It's the catch-all of catch-alls to protect your cars wiring. Think of it like a parent fuse.
I have to read a little more, but apparently they also help prevent engine bay fires in accidents.
Some are even tied to the airbag system. The idea is that if an airbag goes off, it blows the link to ensure the battery won't ignite a fire. Again; more reading required.

Do you need it? No.
Will you kick yourself later, if something goes poorly? YE$$$$$$$!

Then only power concerns I'd have are post real estate and alternator capability. Simple solutions would be to install a power distribution block and upgrade the alt.

Otherwise, there's nothing special enough about the XV to require a management system akin to a refrigerated truck.
Someone edumacate me, if I'm wrong.

(Sadly, "edumacate" did not fire my spell check)

·
Registered
522 Posts
As I progress through my Crosstrek projects, I am getting more and more wires attaching to the battery post terminals. I want to install some LEDs but I'm thinking of reorganizing my wires before it gets too cluttered. One of the things I would like to do is replace the battery post terminals with bigger ones.

I read that some vehicles have battery management systems that can affect your equipment if you start adding new wires to the battery. Can someone tell me if there is anything I have to watch for with our Crosstrek?

Also, my positive terminal post looks like this:
View attachment 304619

What's that gray thing with the fuse connected to the post? Since all stock wires were connected to it, I didn't want to risk bypassing it, but I'd like to know what I'm doing instead of guessing. If I replace the posts with something like this, do I have to keep this gray thing for the stock wires?

Thanks!
This is how Tom organised his battery management system. A very neat install.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies! I am definitely going to keep the fusible link.

This is how Tom organised his battery management system.
Awesome! This video is actually what motivated me to start working something out before things get out of control!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all, here's an update on what I ended up doing with my wiring.

I put all my fuses in a plastic box that I velcro'ed on top of the original fuse box.

Based on the comment, I kept the fusible link. I'm pretty happy with the result and I have a couple fuse slots ready for new accessories. I left enough play in the wires to be able to access the original fusebox underneath.

For those who are curious, in the box I've got a 150 amp breaker for my alternator wire (big 4), an in-line fuse for my radio, an in-line fuse for my subwoofer, and 2 wires going to the fuse block for lighting accessories (12v sockets). Wires go in the car from the fender grommet.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts