Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just curious, do you use CAD software?
Hmm, does high school in the mid 90's count? I could definitely look into it though.

Also, If you were to develop a tune for them to go with, and your product would be more competitive at even at a slightly higher price range. Just a thought :)
Not a bad idea.

I think one of the hardest things would be is to decide on the actual optimum width of the spacers themselves. You could go with the 'what the other guy did' philosophy but there's no guarantee what they did was actually the best option.
So with the cross section area of the intake runners being the same, a longer runner will favor the low end and a shorter runner the top end. But unless you intend to literally copy the other guys product exactly, some thorough R&D is definitely in order.

If one is offered for the MY18+, an additional feature of a small intake for valve cleaning (ie some place to spray valve cleaner) since they are DI. There's alot of angst out there about carbon build up on the valves...
Another interesting idea.

Trying to increase the horsepower on a naturally aspirated engine by putting performance mods on it is like trying to look more muscular by drawing abs on your gut. Don't waste any of your money on such nonsense.
:thumb_smileyvault-c

It’s almost as pointless as replying to a thread you have no intent contributing to.
lol, exactly!!

In degrees of efficiency, for my purposes at cruise (1.5k to 2.5k rpms) if their figures are correct, would only give me 2 to 4 hp for the manifold blocks and that would be at a loss of mpg's because of f/a ratios and timing at those rpm's (if I have my facts straight). So without a tune, you will lose mpg's (my goal)?
Well if you want to make more power, you need to burn more fuel. The only exception being higher octane gas, where you can run more total timing for the same AFR or a leaner AFR for the same timing. Not sure if that makes any sense?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a few questions:
So with the cross section area of the intake runners being the same, a longer runner will favor the low end and a shorter runner the top end. But unless you intend to literally copy the other guys product exactly, some thorough R&D is definitely in order.
stock intake is the shortest manifold, so any increase will move the peak down the rpm range, correct? so the r&d is really just setting the runner length to a place where the added torque would be most useful, but any addition will push that peak lower, until it is perhaps too low to be of any use (i.e. idle or less). is there another factor, such as throttle response? i imagine that a longer intake would add additional time for the charge to make it to the cylinders. or are we really talking about milliseconds anyway, and no one will ever notice the difference until the runners are obscenely long?

all that said, why not add extra volume before the runners, as in a longer intake plenum?

all the discussion so far is about adding more air. what about colder air? (n/a intercooler anyone?) what about more fuel? are the stock fuel pump and injectors up to the task of supplying enough fuel after the volume of air is increased?

·
Registered
41 Posts
It’s almost as pointless as replying to a thread you have no intent contributing to.
I gave money saving advice. If you want more power, get a turbo'd vehicle. Throwing money into performance mods for a naturally aspirated engine is pointless. Performance gains are extremely minimal at best, and unnoticeable.

OP wanted "...to know ACTUAL experience not heresay or guesses please." I told him the truth.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I gave money saving advice. If you want more power, get a turbo'd vehicle. Throwing money into performance mods for a naturally aspirated engine is pointless. Performance gains are extremely minimal at best, and unnoticeable.

OP wanted "...to know ACTUAL experience not heresay or guesses please." I told him the truth.
They weren’t asking for money saving advice. As for experience, I’d say that plenty of helpful info was shared and that there are several things that the OP should look into. They were asking about making the vehicle they have a little more peppy. I completely agree with you about the turbo being the most gain for the money, but for that’s not the effect everyone wants. For $5000 I could get a turbo kit or I could get a bunch of n/a mods, wheels and tires, and groceries for a couple weeks. I’m personally of the mindset that if I wanted a sports car I would have bought a wrx or brz for the same price as what I paid. This is, however, the car I drive every day. All I want from it is a smile on my face, good gas mileage, and the occasional weekend project.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you finally get an answer? What I did with mine was a high flow muffler or muffler delete, dry cotton air filter, removed the carbon air filter, and a lighter crank wheel pulley. Only other suggestion is higher octane gasoline.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I really felt that removing the carbon filter from the airbox helped the car rev quicker while in neutral (I'm on the MT6 model)... also seemed to help it get up to RPMs when downshifting. I think I'd mostly seen folks agreeing with this, but I do recall at least one person here claiming no difference. IDK how noticeable this mod is for the CVT model though. Sorry for not providing any references!

I do have the AEM intake also, but I installed it a while after removing the carbon filter and I can't say that I noticed much of a difference. It does sound a bit louder though.
100% concur with removal of carbon filter - very noticeable improvement in throttle response and overall power

·
Registered
650 Posts
For those on the edge of buying the Pedal Commander, they are offering $30 (US) off the regular price. It gives me flexibility to adjust throttle response load and conditions, I like mine.

artosa

Reactions: AstroKats

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,886 Posts
For those on the edge of buying the Pedal Commander, they are offering $30 (US) off the regular price. It gives me flexibility to adjust throttle response load and conditions, I like mine.

artosa
We like ours!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts