Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve read other posts and searched but most have been speculations about if they’d help or not. Curious if I can get a little more pep out of my Crosstrek. I’m very happy with the car overall but I’m at around 4000’ elevation and frequently up to 10,000’. So other than “it’s cheaper to buy a new vehicle” which I won’t because it’s perfect for me in every other way and the AWD outperforms all others in its class and that’s very important to me plus the Subaru name and quality. What can be done to help with say 0-30mph from a stop off the line to get out in traffic when you need a little more gas?

While driving I can easily keep the RPM’s up around 4000 and don’t really have issues. It’s just at a stop or low initial RPM’s. Here are some items I was looking at and would like to know ACTUAL experience not heresay or guesses please. Please keep this positive.

Looking at ordering a pedal commander PC63 Bluetooth currently
https://www.pedalcommander.com/product/pedal-commander-pc63/?motor=2.0L+4-cyl&v=7516fd43adaa

Wondering about the AEM Cold air intake
https://www.aemintakes.com/mobile/product.aspx?prod=21-846C#reviews

Cont....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cont....

An aftermarket exhaust, axle back Borla or MagnaFlow, don’t want it louder but a little more performance.

A performance chip like this one PCT Stage 2
https://www.performancechiptuning.com/stage-2-performance-chip-module-obd2-for-subaru/

In other vehicles I have added a cold air intake, aftermarket exhaust, mass airflow sensor, computer programmer or performance chip, and the performance increases were always very substantial. I don’t have to have emissions where I live if this matters but don’t want to alter much other than the basic bolt on improvements. Just looking for a little more low end pep.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An aftermarket exhaust, axle back Borla or MagnaFlow, don’t want it louder but a little more performance.

https://www.performancechiptuning.com/stage-2-performance-chip-module-obd2-for-subaru/

In other vehicles I have added a cold air intake, aftermarket exhaust, mass airflow sensor, computer programmer or performance chip, and the performance increases were always very substantial. I don’t have to have emissions where I live if this matters but don’t want to alter much other than the basic bolt on improvements. Just looking for a little more low end pep.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

In other vehicles I have added a cold air intake, aftermarket exhaust, mass airflow sensor, computer programmer or performance chip, and the performance increases were always very substantial. I don’t have to have emissions where I live if this matters but don’t want to alter much other than the basic bolt on improvements. Just looking for a little more low end pep but need the XV clearance and off-road capability.

·
Registered
495 Posts
AEM intake will help, and the other that many people will be skeptic, is thinner oil from your engine(0w20), differential(75w85), cvt fluid and smaller tires.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The PC will definitely help with response off the line, with the added ability to help in sticky situations to vary the pedal response.

artosa

·
Registered
136 Posts
I normally try to stay out of it and not push my services, but in this case I feel compelled to speak up. A 91 octane tune from me is exactly what you need and will give you an immediate and very real performance increase, especially in the bottom end, and double especially in higher altitude. Here's the breakdown of the items you mentioned:

Pedal Commander - the same as simply pushing the gas pedal a little more. If you are looking for increased pedal sensitivity, that can definitely be addressed via tuning.

AEM CAI - $315 for a little more power than stock in some RPM ranges and literally zero power increase over stock in others (please see their dyno graph to confirm this). I'm definitely not hating on this product, just want you to be aware of its actual effectiveness.

Aftermarket exhaust - almost purely for sound. I design and build aftermarket exhaust components for our beloved NA Subaru's for a living and I will be the first one to openly admit that a better flowing catback or axleback will yield zero performance improvement over stock in the bottom end and maybe a tiny improvement in the top end.

"Performance Chip" - I definitely AM hating on this one. I would stay the hell away from this snake oil garbage. Variations of this crap have been around forever. Only an extremely vague and generic description of what it does and the disclaimer of "(Results do vary and are not guaranteed!)" is stated numerous times. These things usually either indiscriminately richen or lean out the factory settings. The problem is that the factory tune needs to be richer in some spot and actually leaner in others.

Also, I have extensive experience tuning this engine (FB20D) for high altitude.

At the end of the day it's your money and it's completely up to you, I just want you and the community to make educated choices and know exactly what they are getting for their money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the responses so far. I had actually ordered the PC63 Pedal Commander first thing this am.

Artosa-Thank you for the feed on the PC63

KR- good points.

Erader, as I initially stated it’s from a dead stop where the RPM’s are bottomed out when I need to get out in traffic or in a sticky situation where a second or two may make the difference. I’d also stated that I don’t have really have any issues while driving because I can keep the RPM’s where I need them and have the little bit of power I need. Sometimes pretty high altitude with the car loaded down.

Ralli-from a dead stop and and push the gas 100% I still definitely have the delay. Most things I have read read by actual users were it’s much more responsive, IN addition to amplifying the gas pedal as well. I’ve already got it coming so nothing I can do about it now. I’ll test it out and see if there is any difference in 0-25mph or
So.

Pm me the information on your tune info, for the 89 octane or possibly 91 and what all I can expect from it. I bought this XV for mileage saving over my Jeep so hate to spend $3.50/gal if I don’t have to, but open to your info. Not looking for a “race car” obviously but just need a little more.

What Else do I need to buy in addition to your tune to install it? How much$$$ am I talking total?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Pm me the information on your tune info, for the 89 octane or possibly 91 and what all I can expect from it. I bought this XV for mileage saving over my Jeep so hate to spend $3.50/gal if I don’t have to, but open to your info. Not looking for a “race car” obviously but just need a little more.

What Else do I need to buy in addition to your tune to install it? How much$$$ am I talking total?
I can do an 87/89, or 91, or 93 tune but the hidden power is easier unlocked with better fuel (91 or 93), especially at higher altitude. You can find the answers to your other questions here: TUNING
I don't want to hijack your thread so I'll just leave it at that and I am happy to answer any additional questions you have via email or DM or FB or my tuning thread on this forum.

Oh, Crawford is developing their "Power Blocks" for the 18+ Crosstrek and should be available soon. That alone may be just what you are looking for. Here are their power blocks for the previous generation: https://crawfordperformance.com/products/crawford-billet-power-blocks-bpb-2012-2016-impreza-2-0i The theory behind them is sound and I was going to develop the exact same thing but never got around to it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you Ralli, I will check out your site and info there.

I was looking at the Crawford power blocks and saw they only made them for models through the previous gen. I was going to call them yesterday and ask if they made them or had plans for the 2018-19.

I looked at the Dyno for the AEM for this engine and seems like overall HP and Torque were increased throughout the curve for the most part and if I’m looking at it correctly shows the biggest improvement during low RPMS’s, their bottom end of the curve is around 1,850RPM’s. So maybe the AEM plus the power blocks may make a small but noticeable difference? https://www.aemintakes.com/dynocharts/AEM-21-846_dyno.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
That combo might be your golden ticket. If you do go that route please let us know the results, many in the community would love to know!

One of my tune customers called Crawford asking about their power blocks for the 18+ and they told him they were in the final development stages.

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Oh, Crawford is developing their "Power Blocks" for the 18+ Crosstrek and should be available soon. That alone may be just what you are looking for. Here are their power blocks for the previous generation: https://crawfordperformance.com/products/crawford-billet-power-blocks-bpb-2012-2016-impreza-2-0i The theory behind them is sound and I was going to develop the exact same thing but never got around to it.
Seems a little too good to be true as 15 more HP seems to be a tall order for just adding spacers to the intake so I did a bit of googling...

It seems that these little spacers have been used in the BRZ community and dyno tested to have just under 10 HP gain which is impressive but still under the 19 HP gain promised for a FA20. According to thread on the BRZ forum, the best gain comes from a Power Block and a tune... But at $340 for two blocks of machined metal spacer, it seems a bit much. But at least the installation seems to be pretty much dead simple.

Links to articles/threads -
https://motoiq.com/tested-crawford-performance-fr-s-brz-power-blocks-intake-manifold-spacers/
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62007

·
Registered
136 Posts
Seems a little too good to be true as 15 more HP seems to be a tall order for just adding spacers to the intake so I did a bit of googling...

It seems that these little spacers have been used in the BRZ community and dyno tested to have just under 10 HP gain which is impressive but still under the 19 HP gain promised for a FA20. According to thread on the BRZ forum, the best gain comes from a Power Block and a tune... But at $340 for two blocks of machined metal spacer, it seems a bit much. But at least the installation seems to be pretty much dead simple.

Links to articles/threads -
https://motoiq.com/tested-crawford-performance-fr-s-brz-power-blocks-intake-manifold-spacers/
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62007
Very good point and one I neglected to mention. Although intake resonance tuning is a real thing, I was also extremely skeptical about their power increase claims. I never researched it any further though, so thank you for the links. I've never understood companies that grossly exaggerate the claimed performance increase of their products. Why not just give real power increase figures and let the customer decide if it is worth it to them? I think they would find that most of us NA Subaru guy's are so desperate for a little more power that we would still buy their products.

And yes, any mod that allows more air flow into the engine is best utilized with the addition of a tune. What good is that extra air if its still only having fuel added at a 14.7:1 ratio.

·
Registered
495 Posts
In the past, people do power block on maf sensor with similar result, and that can be customized diy with a few dollar material ?

·
Registered
495 Posts
It may help on carbureted fuel delivery or port injection but for direct injection this seems just useless

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Very good point and one I neglected to mention. Although intake resonance tuning is a real thing, I was also extremely skeptical about their power increase claims. I never researched it any further though, so thank you for the links. I've never understood companies that grossly exaggerate the claimed performance increase of their products. Why not just give real power increase figures and let the customer decide if it is worth it to them? I think they would find that most of us NA Subaru guy's are so desperate for a little more power that we would still buy their products.

And yes, any mod that allows more air flow into the engine is best utilized with the addition of a tune. What good is that extra air if its still only having fuel added in a 14.7:1 ratio.
Or at least include the standard 'get out of jail free' wording of "up to".

I'm also surprised that Crawford is the only game in town for these little things if they do indeed do as promised - there's a lot of machined metal parts out there that do a whole lot less according to a dyno made by a whole lot of people.

Since you were thinking about making one yourself, how much would you estimate that something like this should be selling for?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was looking at the Crawford power blocks and saw they only made them for models through the previous gen. I was going to call them yesterday and ask if they made them or had plans for the 2018-19. https://www.aemintakes.com/dynocharts/AEM-21-846_dyno.pdf
I was looking at their air oil separator for the 18’ trek last year and it hinted that they were in development at that time. They said that they would be available for purchase by “the holiday” with I took to mean New Years or Christmas based on when I inquired. I would love to know when they are going to be out. I would be the first to go for the blocks and tune combo.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts