Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here. I am looking to buy a new crosstrek 2021. I don't know cars. But I fell in love with crosstrek. My questions may be too basic for many of you. Please help!

I am debating about base or premium trim and "build you own" or buy from existing inventory. For build you own, where should I start? I don't even know what options are necessary.

If I need the car early Aug, when is the best time to buy it?

Thank you so much!

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,144 Posts
Hi, I am new here. I am looking to buy a new crosstrek 2021. I don't know cars. But I fell in love with crosstrek. My questions may be too basic for many of you. Please help!

I am debating about base or premium trim and "build you own" or buy from existing inventory. For build you own, where should I start? I don't even know what options are necessary.

Thank you so much!
I'd recommend stretching to the Sport or Limited if you can. You can build your car on Subaru's site and many folks here have ordered them, and will chime it. It takes a few months. We bought the one on the lot that we test drove, LOL!

·
Registered
21 CWP Premium 6spd
9 Posts
As someone who just ordered a car myself. I would advise you to start on Subaru's website. It will allow you to play around and "build" you own. It also allows you to compare trim levels to see what options are available on each. Do you homework to determine what best works for you before talking to a salesperson and then go drive a few different cars if possible. I will tell you that inventory on lots right now is next to nil due to a microchip shortage. I was looking for a very specific car and so I ordered mine built to what I wanted. It took 2 months to come in. I had the time to wait so it was fine. If you are in a hurry, ordering may not be your best option. Also larger markets such as St. Louis in general have better inventory to choose from, but once again they are limited to what the factory can produce. Good luck out there!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for your fast response!

Would you please explain why sport or limited is better. If I build my own, is there any reference that I refer to? for example, the basic options or popular packages.

Thank you again!

I'd recommend stretching to the Sport or Limited if you can. You can build your car on Subaru's site and many folks here have ordered them, and will chime it. It takes a few months. We bought the one on the lot that we test drove, LOL!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, Jpat30, for your detailed explanation!

As someone who just ordered a car myself. I would advise you to start on Subaru's website. It will allow you to play around and "build" you own. It also allows you to compare trim levels to see what options are available on each. Do you homework to determine what best works for you before talking to a salesperson and then go drive a few different cars if possible. I will tell you that inventory on lots right now is next to nil due to a microchip shortage. I was looking for a very specific car and so I ordered mine built to what I wanted. It took 2 months to come in. I had the time to wait so it was fine. If you are in a hurry, ordering may not be your best option. Also larger markets such as St. Louis in general have better inventory to choose from, but once again they are limited to what the factory can produce. Good luck out there!

·
Prefers black cats
12,144 Posts
Thank you so much for your fast response!

Would you please explain why sport or limited is better. If I build my own, is there any reference that I refer to? for example, the basic options or popular packages.

Thank you again!
There are many folks here who prefer the bigger engine and, supposedly, it gets the same fuel economy. We have the 2.0L Limited and are very happy with it. The extras on the Limited, such as the steering responsive headlights, leather, etc. are worth it, to us. If you hate leather then get the Sport.

The resale value for a higher trim level will also be higher, so you get a little back at the end of the day.

Reactions: erader

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are many folks here who prefer the bigger engine and, supposedly, it gets the same fuel economy. We have the 2.0L Limited and are very happy with it. The extras on the Limited, such as the steering responsive headlights, leather, etc. are worth it, to us. If you hate leather then get the Sport.

The resale value for a higher trim level will also be higher, so you get a little back at the end of the day.
Thank you, AstroKats!

·
Registered
513 Posts
For 2021 - giving that it's near the end of the model year and shutdown of Subaru plants custom ordering a car may not be feasible The good news is most of the options are added at the port. So you can work with a dealer and select a base, premium, sport or limited, color and options. Radio, sunroof and some safety feature are installed at the factory He can find one that's still on the ship that's coming to his dealership or trade with another dealer. Then he can reconfigure the options to meet your needs. I've done this twice. On this website you can build your "dream" car Subaru Cars, Sedans, SUVs | Subaru of America

·
Registered
2016 Crosstrek
1,304 Posts
As others have said, the website is the place to start. Compare options there and see them in person on the lot. Always compare "apples to apples" when it comes to price, including dealer fees which vary greatly.
Sit in each trim level, the seats are all different, and get the interior that suits you best - that's the place you'll be spending your time.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0 6M/T
8 Posts
I’m just gonna say, GET WHAT YOU WANT! It’s your money so you should get some enjoyment out of it right!? OF COURSE! I went with a Base model so I could get a manual and go off road and not feel bad about tree branches and rocks decreasing my “value”. But honestly desire how big your family will be in 2 years. Will you need dual climate? I always say parents should spring the most safety features! (Kids will try to get your attention while driving hahaha). Do you have a dog that will destroy your leather? Just kinda look at every option as “does this fit my life style? Or would it improve my driving experience?” I will also say that... well... you can put options into the car later with a little help from a technician and a little know how lol. Good luck! I love my subie!

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,378 Posts
Normally the best time to buy is at the end of the month when a dealer might be motivated to meet sales goals. However, these are not normal times.
After you do your research and know exactly what trim line and options you want, do NOT price negotiate at the dealership or on the phone. Instead price negotiate via email or via a dealer's website's portal. From the "About Us" tab on a dealer's website find the Internet Sales Manager/Director, email him or her, and ask for their best price. Get quotes from all four St. Louis area Subaru dealers and go from there. Don't discuss trade in or financing until you have nailed down the price of the car.

·
Prefers black cats
12,144 Posts
Normally the best time to buy is at the end of the month when a dealer might be motivated to meet sales goals. However, these are not normal times.
After you do your research and know exactly what trim line and options you want, do NOT price negotiate at the dealership or on the phone. Instead price negotiate via email or via a dealer's website's portal. From the "About Us" tab on a dealer's website find the Internet Sales Manager/Director, email him or her, and ask for their best price. Get quotes from all four St. Louis area Subaru dealers and go from there. Don't discuss trade in or financing until you have nailed down the price of the car.
Yep, this! Not much to add. Do not tell them if you have a loyalty coupon or whatever (I'm guessing you don't). Wait until after the final price has been agreed. DO NOT buy ANY kind of warranty. The finance guy will lie to you and say you have to buy it there and then. Not true - you can buy it at any time, from any dealer, before the Subaru warranty expires at 3yr/36K.

Also, be careful of highly-marked-up dealer accessories. Only agree to what's on the Subaru window sticker. Don't make me post that clip from Fargo, again... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, this! Not much to add. Do not tell them if you have a loyalty coupon or whatever (I'm guessing you don't). Wait until after the final price has been agreed. DO NOT buy ANY kind of warranty. The finance guy will lie to you and say you have to buy it there and then. Not true - you can buy it at any time, from any dealer, before the Subaru warranty expires at 3yr/36K.

Also, be careful of highly-marked-up dealer accessories. Only agree to what's on the Subaru window sticker. Don't make me post that clip from Fargo, again... :rolleyes:
I don't have a loyalty coupon. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can only get the manual transmission with the 2 liter engine. The automatic also includes a host of IMHO intrusive electronic stuff that would totally ruin the driving experience for me. I just bought a 21 premium 6mt from Sunset Subaru in St. Louis (who were so great BTW, Lexi let me test drive her own '20 6mt - and during a pandemic!), and the 2 liter it's plenty of engine for me. My oldest brother taught me about downshifting long, long ago, and a manual has become a great anti-theft device. Last September a couple of guys tried to jack a 2004 BMW from a 77 year old woman in Compton Heights, and ran away when they couldn't drive a manual.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'd stay away from the base or stripped cars. Having had a number of base BMW's over the decades, there is an appreciation to be had for some of the options in upper level models. We have a MY18(2.0 engine) premium in the family which has been adequate but I've already upgraded things like the radio in the car(subaru rockford fosgate audio upgrade kit). The car came with rubber mats for everything which have been essential here in the PNW(rain, debris, etc..). They do keep the car clean which we like. You might go and drive each(base, premium, 2.0 vs 2.5 engine) and see what works for you. Don't like those sales people push you around. ; ) Best of luck with it.
regards

·
Registered
2021 Base CVT Crosstrek
149 Posts
I am a happy owner of the base model. The base Crosstrek has all the creature comforts we want.

I found this page helpful to quickly compare the feature differences: 2021 Subaru Crosstrek: Base vs. Premium vs. Limited vs. Hybrid

I really like the new safety features that come with EyeSight. Especially useful is the collision warning.

These videos are great: EyeSight

Adative Cruise Control is trippy but takes a little getting used to because the car is really under the control of an AI even though you can override in a milisecond.

·
He wasn't there!
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
1,588 Posts
I would go to at least the Premium. Beyond that, you really need to decide what options you personally want. You're likely to have the car for a long time.

August means the 2022 models will start arriving. So you could take your chances on finding a 2021 car that a dealer is willing to give a good deal on. Even if it's not your first choice of options. If you decide on specific options, you could try ordering, but if you want it for 2021, you'll have to do that fast. And I wouldn't bet on an august delivery time, unless they can find the car already made.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts