Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Base 6MT PYP
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. Here it is. This mod involve zero modification to factory wiring as I have purchased a left harness for the rear hatch to make my extension. I forgot to snap a pic of the bare blue cable that is left after cutting off all the other crap.

The connection is made behind the beige trim in the back. It is fastened to the body of the car. In this photo I am holding the connector that is still routed through the hatch.

The blue wire is routed down into the spare tire well. The blue cable is extended (soldered and heat shrinked) with some high quality shielded usb 2.0 cable and pokes through the grommet on the right hand side in the rear wall of the spare tire well. It is then routed up the tire mount and to the camera which I fabricated a bracket for.

I'll have to fix the hangulation of the camera but at least I can see!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What harness did you purchase? Do you have a model number? How much did it cost?

Thanks for the info BTW!
Guess I should have provided that info. DUHHHH.

I ordered from our awesome forum sponsor SubaruOnlineParts.com! Be sure to go to their thread and ask them to PM you a code for free shipping on orders over $50

81817FL300​
Cord Rear Gate Left-Hand​
$24.89​

·
Prefers black cats
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
12,144 Posts
This is great, thanks for the write-up! I just ordered a hitch for a couple of ebikes we're getting and have been wondering how it will affect the backup camera. It won't be permanent, though, only for when carrying the bikes, so I guess I'll need to get a second camera if it turns out that the existing one is blocked.

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,907 Posts
So, you got a factory camera with the harness, cut all the unnecessary wires out and only extended the signal wire to the camera?
Just have to plug/unplug the extended one into the factory harness when using it? Then visa versa when you want the original hatch cam back on?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, you got a factory camera with the harness, cut all the unnecessary wires out and only extended the signal wire to the camera?
Just have to plug/unplug the extended one into the factory harness when using it? Then visa versa when you want the original hatch cam back on?
It turns out that the left harnes only contains the camera cable and the washer fluid hose. That would be a great idea for those that want that kind of flexibility.
I used the camera that came with the car. A replacement camera is $200somthing and I run my tire mount full time.

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
1,907 Posts
It turns out that the left harnes only contains the camera cable and the washer fluid hose. That would be a great idea for those that want that kind of flexibility.
I used the camera that came with the car. A replacement camera is $200somthing and I run my tire mount full time.
Ahhh ok gotcha, thanks for the clarification!
Ive been working on making a bundle so I could run 2 cameras and have a switcher to select between which input (camera) I want to use - since I only run my carrier while out on trails.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive been working on making a bundle so I could run 2 cameras and have a switcher to select between which input (camera) I want to use - since I only run my carrier while out on trails.
My idea for that would be to use a 4PDT relay to switch the cameras. Though you would have to cut the left harness that is installed into the car, but at $25 you cant lose.

·
Prefers black cats
12,144 Posts
That's the kind of thing I'd like to do, depending on whether the bikes block the camera. The bikes are arriving tomorrow but I can't find a rack that I like, that's rated for their weight, that I can get before October... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek, Premium, Onxy Blue, 6-speed manual transmission. 2014 XV Crosstrek - RIP.
4 Posts
Thanks for the idea -- re-inspiring my UltraSwing project. To clear up, what you did:
  1. purchased a new wire harness (Cord Rear Gate Left-Hand -- 81817FL300 ) -- this is just some wires and connectors no camera
  2. extricated your existing camera from the lift back
  3. paired down the new wire harness a bit
  4. snaked the new harness out the spare tire well to your to drop down spare tire carrier (which one, out of curiosity?)
  5. plugged in a couple plugs (factory harness -> extension -> relocated camera), and made a mount for camera that is positioned between the spokes of spare

Did I get that right?

If so, do you have a few words or tips about removal of the existing camera removal? Already had some of the other stuff in mind and was thinking that autoharnesshouse.com may have or make an extension.

Note: There is a thread somewhere to talks about accessing a service menu for tuning things in a factory head unit, I think there is a rear camera setup in there. HTH.

-Fred
2018 6SP MT
Flatout GRLite Coilovers

·
Registered
142 Posts
I like the idea of being able to switch between the cameras. Where did you get the price of $200 for the replacement camera ? I think the one from Subaru is good enough so really no need to go aftermarket. I could not find one on Subaruonlineparts.com

·
Registered
2020 premium on Meths
371 Posts
I can't find a rack that I like, that's rated for their weight, that I can get before October...
consider having a local metal fab shop build you one. probably end up with a better built rack, can add any kind of options you can think of (like a built in ring to run your lock though or a storage box for chargers/helmets), & they can probably build the bar(s)/position the bikes to retain the stock rear camera.

this is going to be the new “norm” for awhile till we get back to pre-pandemic production/shipping levels with things like this, furniture, electronics, etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the idea -- re-inspiring my UltraSwing project. To clear up, what you did:
  1. purchased a new wire harness (Cord Rear Gate Left-Hand -- 81817FL300 ) -- this is just some wires and connectors no camera
  2. extricated your existing camera from the lift back
  3. paired down the new wire harness a bit
  4. snaked the new harness out the spare tire well to your to drop down spare tire carrier (which one, out of curiosity?)
  5. plugged in a couple plugs (factory harness -> extension -> relocated camera), and made a mount for camera that is positioned between the spokes of spare

Did I get that right?

If so, do you have a few words or tips about removal of the existing camera removal? Already had some of the other stuff in mind and was thinking that autoharnesshouse.com may have or make an extension.

Note: There is a thread somewhere to talks about accessing a service menu for tuning things in a factory head unit, I think there is a rear camera setup in there. HTH.

-Fred
2018 6SP MT
Flatout GRLite Coilovers
I did cut the extension and solder on some more shielded 4 conductor cable(USB cable). But yes to everything else.

For camera removal, take down the lift gate trim and you should be able to pop the camera out by depressing a large tab on the camera. I can't remember if I had to unbolt the part that covers the camera and holds the emblem and the trunk open button. It should then come out towards the exterior of the car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's the kind of thing I'd like to do, depending on whether the bikes block the camera. The bikes are arriving tomorrow but I can't find a rack that I like, that's rated for their weight, that I can get before October... :rolleyes:
Have you checked out the 1up rack? Pricey but nicey

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like the idea of being able to switch between the cameras. Where did you get the price of $200 for the replacement camera ? I think the one from Subaru is good enough so really no need to go aftermarket. I could not find one on Subaruonlineparts.com
You might not have clicked the button to see the replacement parts catalog. 86267FL000

·
Prefers black cats
12,144 Posts
Have you checked out the 1up rack? Pricey but nicey
Yep, and I bid on a used one on eBay until it went over $600! It's now $680, more than it would cost retail...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts