Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

I'm stumped as to why my gas mileage is so low. 2017 crosstrek, bone stock with 17.6k miles at this point. Over 68 fill ups I am only averaging 21.1 mpg (according to fuelly), and have gone as low as 14 before.

Any tips would be super appreciated. I currently have a bike rack on the roof, as well as foam kayak blocks. A bike up top kills mileage (depending on the tank its 40-80 miles with it on), and each tank is probably 50/50 highway speeds vs city driving.

The weirdest thing to me is hearing from a guy with a lifted trek, cut bumpers, roof basket, and mud terrains that he gets better mpg

·
Registered
670 Posts
I got 30.6 average for my first 6000 miles on my '13. That includes several trips up steep canyon roads up to near 10K' elevation and a few GPS verified runs of 110 MPH. I did however for the most part drive with the idea of getting great fuel economy in mind. Now, years later, I'm pretty careless about trying to get good economy, I drive 80 a lot instead of 60 on the freeways and I'm always in a hurry. I average about 27 now combined city/highway.

All the crap, excuse me, accessories on your roof will make a huge difference. I removed a roof rack with spare tire on my jeep and picked up 3-5 mpg. Ya need horsepower to push that stuff down the road, and power takes gas. It's all about wind resistance, and what's on your roof adds up big time. Even the roof cross bars alone will kill your fuel economy.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Howdy folks,

I'm stumped as to why my gas mileage is so low. 2017 crosstrek, bone stock with 17.6k miles at this point. Over 68 fill ups I am only averaging 21.1 mpg (according to fuelly), and have gone as low as 14 before.

Any tips would be super appreciated. I currently have a bike rack on the roof, as well as foam kayak blocks. A bike up top kills mileage (depending on the tank its 40-80 miles with it on), and each tank is probably 50/50 highway speeds vs city driving.

The weirdest thing to me is hearing from a guy with a lifted trek, cut bumpers, roof basket, and mud terrains that he gets better mpg
you mean you believe him?

·
Registered
68 Posts
The past winter in Michigan’s UP was really bad. We saw well over 300 inches of snow last winter and base temps around -20F. My regular driving last winter was a similar mix of city/highway in very hilly terrain. My 18’ never failed to start, but it almost couldn’t warm up to operating temp in my commute. Because of that I struggled to maintain 18-19mpg combined. When that cold engine blue light was on in the dash display I got about 12. This summer, I just got 34.5 with the ac on. I’m actually getting better mileage this summer than last summer as well. Even though my mpg last winter was bad, it wasn’t because anything was wrong with the car. This summer’s mpg shows that.

Couple ideas here: how long do you drive per trip? Does the engine warm up all the way? Do you drive with the ac on or windows down? Do you have a lead foot?

Once you rule out how and where the car is being drive as a cause for bad mpg, look at regular maintenance problems. Oil, tire tread ware and pressure, dirty MAF sensor. It’s likely a combination of factors.

All my numbers were based on Fuelly, not the exaggerometer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone here w/ bad mpg running aftermarket wheels like Method + offroady tires? I feel like my car is struggling to get over 21mpg now mostly highway driving. I'm in TX so our highway speeds are a bit higher but I tend to drive around 75mph. I feel like the car is losing power over the course of it's life (currently 72k) and it's strugglin to maintain speed so it mostly cruises at the artificial 5th gear. Initially I thought maybe winter gas was bad and it would improve during summer, but it's constantly just 21-22mpg like 20/80 mostly highway driving. I also don't tow anything.

My transmission crapped out last year where the dealer replaced a valve body solenoid, and it's been bad ever since. I recall a few years ago I was able to avg 24-26mpg with similar driving characteristics and same wheels / tires combo.

I also keep my tires inflated around 35-37psi too. Changed spark plugs, air filters, differential oil, and had new trans oil put in after the CVT repairs. Just can't seem to get over 22mpg these days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts