Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here it is... the kit is nstalled... its a completely different car feel... it pulls hard... way more responsive than a forester XT or wrx cvt... im really impressed by it

Tune is by throttlehappy... hes is amazing. he actually advised me to upgrade the injectors to the 11-14 ej255wrx dark blue injectors.

This is what subaru should have had as an engine option on the limited versions... its amazing.

F1692772-4415-4376-A92E-0BE42829EE72.jpg IMG_1993.jpg IMG_2031.jpg IMG_2058.jpg IMG_2065.jpg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i havent dyno'd yet however their estimated is around 220hp and 230tq... again thats an estimate. it feels like it tho it pulls hard even with the cvt

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
i havent dyno'd yet however their estimated is around 220hp and 230tq... again thats an estimate. it feels like it tho it pulls hard even with the cvt
Will the CVT be able to handle the additional stress? I have no idea what it was designed to handle, but for manufacturing cost purposes I doubt the designers put much extra "beef" into the CVT's design and capabilities. I suspect that you'll be dealing with a premature failure depending on how hard you push it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Will the CVT be able to handle the additional stress? I have no idea what it was designed to handle, but for manufacturing cost purposes I doubt the designers put much extra "beef" into the CVT's design and capabilities. I suspect that you'll be dealing with a premature failure depending on how hard you push it.
It's the same CVT as in the WRX (TR580 Gen II) and most other Subaru models that use a CVT.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I just can't help but feel that there will be problems on down the road by trying to convert something into something it was not designed to be. That's just me speaking. I am a conservative and risk averse!
:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
676 Posts
So here it is... the kit is nstalled... its a completely different car feel... it pulls hard... way more responsive than a forester XT or wrx cvt... im really impressed by it

Tune is by throttlehappy... hes is amazing. he actually advised me to upgrade the injectors to the 11-14 ej255wrx dark blue injectors.

This is what subaru should have had as an engine option on the limited versions... its amazing.

View attachment 289948 View attachment 289950 View attachment 289952 View attachment 289954 View attachment 289956
Subaru discontinued the forester XT because it didnt sell and the crosstrek has is has been a huge success for them. they are all over the place where I live.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't think so.
Well, show me where I'm wrong. All my research shows TR580 Gen 2 used (USDM) WRX, (USDM) Crosstrek, (USDM) Outback H4, (USDM) Legacy H4, (USDM) Impreza, (USDM) Forester H4. I point out H4, because most (all?) H6 uses a TR690 Gen 1. Maybe in Singapore?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
......and the crosstrek has is has been a huge success for them. they are all over the place where I live.
I thought that where you lived *everyone* had either a Jag, a Mercedes, or a Maserati. I'm shocked!.....:icon_lol:

<Sorry! We Okies think everyone else is rich especially Californians....:icon_rolleyes:>

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,712 Posts
I thought that where you lived *everyone* had either a Jag, a Mercedes, or a Maserati. I'm shocked!.....:icon_lol:

<Sorry! We Okies think everyone else is rich especially Californians....:icon_rolleyes:>
Silly Okie, everyone in CA has a Jag, a Mercedes and a Maserati as well but they don't do so well up in the mountains when it's snowing... :icon_rolleyes:

Reactions: Okie Hick

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, show me where I'm wrong. All my research shows TR580 Gen 2 used (USDM) WRX, (USDM) Crosstrek, (USDM) Outback H4, (USDM) Legacy H4, (USDM) Impreza, (USDM) Forester H4. I point out H4, because most (all?) H6 uses a TR690 Gen 1. Maybe in Singapore?
Subaru XV uses CVT Pulley Chain part no. 32462AA020 which is also used for other non-turbo Subaru's up to 2.5L engine capacity
https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2015_Crosstrek-20L-CVT-Premium/CHAIN-VARIATOR/49243643/32462AA020.html

Subaru WRX uses CVT Pulley Chain part no. 32462AA040 which is also used for other turbo Subaru's (e.g. XT) as well as NA 3.6L Outback
https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2015_WRX-20L-CVT-Premium/CHAIN-VARIATOR/49243645/32462AA040.html

Hence, if your boosted HP for the XV is still within that of 2.5L NA engine, the current CVT pulley chain should still be ok.

However, from the Valve Spring recall, can see from Subaru's explanation that they sometimes give very little buffer when they engineer their components as when they under-engineered the Valve Spring.

One of the secondary root-causes "As failed engines were collected, engineers found minor impurities in the valve spring material due to the normal manufacturing process. However, the automaker found changes made to the valve spring tolerance levels in 2013 compensated for the impurity of the material." (i.e. their pre-2013 tolerance level was not sufficient to handle normal level of impurities from normal manufacturing process)
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/subaru-broken-valve-spring-recall.shtml

Hence, for the 2.0L XV, while CVT pulley may be ok with the boosted power, there may still be other components that might not have that much additional buffer to handle higher power.

·
Registered
676 Posts

my house is worth over a million bucks. of course it's a 70-year-old, 1000 sq, 2/1 with a single car garage too and I drive a crosstrek and an old tundra. luxury cars and multi-million dollar homes are common here. the difference is I own mine and many will lose theirs when this market rolls over again. seriously subarus are very popular. almost as common as teslas :wink:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
the difference is I own mine and many will lose theirs when this market rolls over again. seriously subarus are very popular. almost as common as teslas :wink:
Yep. I suspect Californians live on debt to a greater extent than most of America.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,264 Posts
Reactions: AstroKats

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,712 Posts
Yep. I suspect Californians live on debt to a greater extent than most of America.
Probably because there's no other way for most people to be able to afford to live here. However, California is a HUGE and populous state. It's not all like Beverly Hills, West LA and San Francisco. This will be my last post in the hijacking of this thread... :D

Reactions: erader

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think in some areas like here where salaries are massive but so is cost of living that's correct but you have to remember California is a huge state and the people in the central valley and the farmlands live completely differently than they do in bay area. many people everywhere in this country live on debt out of necessity.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts