Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I made my own with an arduino and optocoupler for a few dollars for my base 2020. Very simple circuit for any amateur hobbyists. I'm very surprised someone has not come out with something cheaper to compete with this product. If only I knew anything about bringing a product to market, it seems to be very low hanging fruit...
Mind sharing your circuit, how you powered it, and how you connected it? I assume the Arduino waits a set amount of time, and uses the optocoupler to simulate a button press by activating the optocoupler, and pulling the button signal to ground momentarily.

Did you have to do any hard-to-reverse modifications? I've never taken the button panel out, so I'm not sure if there is a connector you could just connect inline like the Autostop Eliminator does

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed 1 in my 2021 with RAB. As said already, VERY easy install under the driver's seat. And yes, mine is working just fine and makes sure I don't get mad at myself for forgetting to turn that damn feature off every time I start the car.

A must have if you don't like the auto start/stop feature and can afford it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Subaru has a lot of work to do on this feature. When we bought a 2005 Honda Civic hybrid four door sedan, it had this feature that worked flawlessly without any jerking. Just take your foot
off the brake and you were ready to go again. I have been disappointed in the Subaru with its sometimes this feature works, sometimes it doesn't work, plus the aggravating jerking of the car on
the startup of the motor when it does work. These owners' posts have made me think about just turning it off to save wear and tear on the motor! Other than this, I love the Crosstrek Sport vehicle
and am getting good gas mileage as factory advertised in the first 2,000 miles.

·
Registered
2022 Sport
40 Posts
It was one of the first things I bought for my new Sport. Even though its a bit more work for those who don't have RAB, its still really easy to install it above where the Eyesight is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey everybody!

I am wondering if any of you have some experience with this new device (new at least to me)

It seems kind of pricey compared to other Autostop devices I've come across on line for other vehicles.

Is it worth it? Any toughts?
I purchased one and it worked flawlessly for a couple of years. Then, about a month ago, my Eyesight and associated peripherals (LDW, automatic cruise control etc.) would randomly stop working and then come back on line. I removed and reinstalled the device a couple of times and the symptoms came and went with the presence of the Auto Stop Eliminator. I also took the car to the dealer (with it uninstalled) and had them look for any issues, like stored codes, and they found nothing. It's currently in my spare parts bin.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The eliminator uses the CANbus. If something were to block traffic on it, then it would affect other things. That's the bad part about using the CANbus to do this. Thankfully, there are several different CANbuses in a car, and the one the eliminator uses doesn't also have any safety critical things on it.

If you have someone who can solder, or yourself, you can just redo the joints on the main connector, and the larger components, including the IC. The most likely cause is one of the CAN lines shorted to ground or 12V.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mind sharing your circuit, how you powered it, and how you connected it? I assume the Arduino waits a set amount of time, and uses the optocoupler to simulate a button press by activating the optocoupler, and pulling the button signal to ground momentarily.

Did you have to do any hard-to-reverse modifications? I've never taken the button panel out, so I'm not sure if there is a connector you could just connect inline like the Autostop Eliminator does
The circuit is very simple and is just a power regulator, an attiny, and a single channel optocoupler. The optocoupler isn't necessary, but I wanted to keep my circuit isolated incase of any faults. To not modify the car I bought a second A/S/S switch and soldered to the switch internals to not modify the car's harness. I did not bookmark it, but I came across a forum post were someone identified the harness plugs so you could make your own harness instead, I found it was easier and faster to source a spare switch. For power I used a fuse tap, and tapped into an open spot on the fuse panel.

The code is also very simple, it waits an arbitrary amount of time, I think 8 seconds and then sends a short pulse to the optocoupler that grounds the A/S/S switch as if it were pressed. Then it just goes into deep sleep. No need to interact with the CAN bus at all, if your goal is to disable the A/S/S outright. If you want to turn it on and off and it know and remember the last setting it was on, would require the CAN bus. But I don't think that feature alone is worth paying such a premium for, when emulating a button press is so cheap and simple to implement.

·
Registered
21 Sport
2,164 Posts
I purchased one and it worked flawlessly for a couple of years. Then, about a month ago, my Eyesight and associated peripherals (LDW, automatic cruise control etc.) would randomly stop working and then come back on line. I removed and reinstalled the device a couple of times and the symptoms came and went with the presence of the Auto Stop Eliminator. I also took the car to the dealer (with it uninstalled) and had them look for any issues, like stored codes, and they found nothing. It's currently in my spare parts bin.
if that happened to me i'd buy a new one ASAP

·
Registered
73 Posts
Another (possibly simpler than arduino) DIY option is to use a timer relay. I permanently disabled my auto start/stop for about $20 in parts following the idea in the thread linked below from a Forester forum. It "pushes and releases the button" for me 10 seconds after the car starts. No programming other than setting the timer to the on-delay function with a 10 second delay and one second on.

Post with instructions:
('19+) - Permanently disable Auto Stop/Start ►...

Using this timer relay:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07BT32T1M?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_ypp_rep_k1_1_11&amp&crid=2KEENHKMIPPWT&amp&sprefix=timer+relay
and a few misc. electrical parts from an autoparts store (fuse tap, some butt-splice and tap connectors, heatshrink, etc.)

I also made a 3D printed enclosure for this relay so it's not all exposed.

One caveat: using this method there have been maybe two times in the two years I've owned the car and had this installed that weird circumstances left the autostart/stop active. Some combination of having the car ON but not running, then starting it after a few minutes, or something like that.

Reactions: ttaf42

·
Registered
2021 Ice SIlver Sport
1,322 Posts
First I've heard of any issue at all. There is a 3 year warranty so you ought to look at getting it replaced..

21 - 32 of 32 Posts