Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!

I am wondering if any of you have some experience with this new device (new at least to me)

It seems kind of pricey compared to other Autostop devices I've come across on line for other vehicles.

Is it worth it? Any toughts?

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited
78 Posts
Hey everybody!

I am wondering if any of you have some experience with this new device (new at least to me)

It seems kind of pricey compared to other Autostop devices I've come across on line for other vehicles.

Is it worth it? Any toughts?
Its working fine on my 2021 Limited with RAB. Very easy under driver's seat installation.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,448 Posts
Yep, there are a ton of threads on the Autostop Eliminator device here ... and there's pretty much a 100% consensus that the thing works great.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Been in my car for almost 2 years. Worth ever cent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I made my own with an arduino and optocoupler for a few dollars for my base 2020. Very simple circuit for any amateur hobbyists. I'm very surprised someone has not come out with something cheaper to compete with this product. If only I knew anything about bringing a product to market, it seems to be very low hanging fruit...

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
5,448 Posts
Yeah, I was all set to buy it when I got my '21, but I guess I'm cheap enough that the idea of paying a hundred bucks for probably a dollar's worth of Radio Shack parts grated on me too much. I'm getting better at training myself to turn the damn thing off ...

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Metallic Grey
38 Posts
Or, incorporate a button press into your starting procedure.
That's fine until something happens to disrupt your normal startup routine, and then you almost get into an accident when the bloody car hesitates because it has to restart the engine.

That's when I decided to plunk down the $$ for one. A worthwhile expense for me, for certain.

·
Registered
2022 Sport
38 Posts
I guess you can make up any scenario to rationalize the purchase. People manage to start the car, release the brake , fiddle with their sound systems, maybe even put on lights and wipers but that start/stop button.... ooooh boy , thats tricky.
It was $90 spent on a $30k car, I'm not sure what the big deal is if someone decides to buy one. I didn't mind spending a tiny bit for a bit of convenience?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just curious, and I have a premium so I’d like to know from those that don’t have RAB (only if it matters). But once it’s plugged in does the stop-start light remain off? For me, that’s the only way I buy one. In the video the guy keeps turning it on and off but there’s no illustration of it working in the real world. If the amber stop-start light is on constantly then I’ll just keep hitting the off button as needed.

·
Registered
2022 Sport
38 Posts
Just curious, and I have a premium so I’d like to know from those that don’t have RAB (only if it matters). But once it’s plugged in does the stop-start light remain off? For me, that’s the only way I buy one. In the video the guy keeps turning it on and off but there’s no illustration of it working in the real world. If the amber stop-start light is on constantly then I’ll just keep hitting the off button as needed.
The AS/S Eliminator just remembers where you last had the switch at. So the amber light will stay on, which is telling you that the AS/S feature is off. Basically it doesn't reset every time you turn off the car, so you can still turn it back on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The AS/S Eliminator just remembers where you last had the switch at. So the amber light will stay on, which is telling you that the AS/S feature is off. Basically it doesn't reset every time you turn off the car, so you can still turn it back on.
I suppose for that purpose it might be worth it. Just hate that modern safety means never being able to disable something that looks like a warning light. I wouldn’t mind if it just read text and then went away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I suppose for that purpose it might be worth it. Just hate that modern safety means never being able to disable something that looks like a warning light. I wouldn’t mind if it just read text and then went away.
Unfortunately without changing the software on the car itself, all we can do is emulate a button press to disable the A/S/S. It's not ideal and I wish we could change it, and it's definitely an anti-consumer move to improve emissions on paper very slightly. Subaru should let us choose the default, but then they can't claim the emissions savings. Which at the end of the day, doesn't make too much sense since the user can still disable the feature, and having it on by default really doesn't guarantee the reduced emissions. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
38 Posts
Unfortunately without changing the software on the car itself, all we can do is emulate a button press to disable the ***. It's not ideal and I wish we could change it, and it's definitely an anti-consumer move to improve emissions on paper very slightly. Subaru should let us choose the default, but then they can't claim the emissions savings. Which at the end of the day, doesn't make too much sense since the user can still disable the feature, and having it on by default really doesn't guarantee the reduced emissions. 🤷‍♂️
Normally I’d shut it off automatically, but with gas prices what they are I have left it on. The fuel mileage has not improved at all in my opinion. As far as emissions go, I’d think constant start ups, partially unburned gas in the cylinder would be worse. And the worst part actually is the restarts themselves. I think the engine design actually transmits more vibration through the centerline of the car. It’s great once it’s moving but it sucks on start up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Normally I’d shut it off automatically, but with gas prices what they are I have left it on. The fuel mileage has not improved at all in my opinion. As far as emissions go, I’d think constant start ups, partially unburned gas in the cylinder would be worse. And the worst part actually is the restarts themselves. I think the engine design actually transmits more vibration through the centerline of the car. It’s great once it’s moving but it sucks on start up.
Absolutely! The emission difference is only on paper and only significant when looking at a whole fleet and not just an individual car. I made my A/S/S disable circuit the first week I got my trek just because I know that all these needless start ups will wear the engine down needlessly. I don't doubt they modified the engine to better tolerate it, but a lot of wear occurs during start up while oil pressure builds. Even if it did save gas, the wear and tear on the engine negates any cost savings for me, if there even were any. A/S/S makes little to no sense on an individual car, and only really has an impact when looking at a whole fleet. My A/S/S disabler circuit cost me about $5, but I probably wouldn't hesitate to spend the $100 if it was absolutely necessary to disable A/S/S.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts