Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Automatic headlight beam leveler warning light

Model Years 2012 to 2017 
27K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  aza1705 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Earlier this week this indicator lit up in my dash.

The owner's manual says it is the automatic headlight beam leveler warning light and it is recommended to go to a garage to get it fixed if this indicator stays on all the time (which is my case).

I am not familiar with this type of device and I read that it is not installed on every models, depending on geographic location. I was wondering if anyone could drop some knowledge on me about this? Have other people experienced this problem too?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
For HID/LED equipped Crosstreks, it's an automated headlight tilt adjusting system which ensures that they're pointing with the same downwards angle regardless of how the car is loaded. Ever seen someone hauling a trailer, so squished on the rear axle that their low beams end up pointing upwards and blinding everyone? Well it prevents just that.

That having been said, never heard (so far) of it failing... a dealer visit might be unavoidable, though not urgent. All it means is that your headlights aim, as nearly everyone else's, at a fixed angle..

#3 ·
I have a 2018 Crosstrek Limited (Canadian Vehicle) with the leveling option, but so far, I have had no issues.

The device which provides the leveling data is mounted on the undercarriage, in the rear, between the driver's side rear wheel and the rear differential.

I have attached a picture of the unit in my vehicle.

Maybe if you just give it a visual inspection to ensure it's not damaged, it may provide an insight into what may be happening.

Being mechanically inclined, when I first bought my Crosstrek, I gave it a look over, both up top and below, and saw this gadget, which I was not familiar with. I had to research on-line before I determined what it actually was and what purpose it served. It's called a headlight level sensor, part #84031FG000, which is worth over $200 to replace. Looks like this part will also fit MY 2014, which you may wish to verify. That lever looks like it pivots with vertical movement of the vehicle. I always give it a shot of RustChek (or similar spray lube) during any of my maintenance routines, to ensure it does not seize. It's mounted in a very vulnerable area, subject to corrosion, especially if you live in an area which uses road salt during the winter.

Hope this helps?

Good luck.

JayTee

Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper

#4 ·
Once again the community delivers, thanks guys! I looked at my rear sensor and here's what I found

I don't know how but it seems like the whole middle arm is missing. This weekend I had to drive in the rain at night and my low lights were set at their lowest possible setting because of this. It was like driving with only fog lights and on the high roads I was almost blind.

It seems like the easiest thing in the world to fix, but I think the part I'm missing is not sold separately. Would someone be kind enough to tell me the length of this gray arm, from center bolt to center bolt, so I can DIY something up?

That would be like a 200$ thank you.

#8 ·
Sorry for my delay in responding - I was out of town.

As best as I can measure it, from centre to centre of each end's fasteners, this connecting arm is 70 mm in length.

It obviously pivots, so you'll need some kind of a fastener that locks, but still allows rotational movement.

Glad that at least you know what your problem is. Further to my earlier comments regarding cost, you may find after market versions that are cheaper. I have seen the electrical sensor portion sold separately, but your issue is with the assembly, and you may not be able to buy that piece by itself.

All the best.

JayTee

#9 · (Edited)
#10 ·
Thanks for the help guys, especially JayTee for getting under your car for me! I installed a connecting arm and hopefully it's loose enough to move but tight enough to stay there.

Unfortunately this did not solve the problem. Even after unplugging the battery, the indicator still lights up in my dash and the lights level don't adjust. I had to manually raise the lights by turning this plastic bolt:

After that the dash indicator light started appearing and disappearing intermittently.

This issue is perplexing me, first the connecting arm bolts should not have fallen from both sides at the same time, and I don't understand why this could have led to damaging the sensor. Anyways, I don't really mind having that little indicator on all the time, as long as I can drive safely at night.

Thanks again,

Maldedo