Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Do you like AS/S?

• I like AS/S and always use it / I want a car with AS/S

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • I hate AS/S and want to eliminate it completely / I won't buy a car with AS/S

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I have no strong opinion either way / I'll just turn it off when I don't want to use it

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • AS/S is OK, I don't love it but it's not a showstopper

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • I don't like AS/S, I don't hate it and it's not a showstopper

Votes: 31 31.0%
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Yeah but how many of them have a pretty chart!

Just updated...

Reactions: Graphite

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
LOL, yes. Actually, I've found the poll part interesting. I was expecting a pretty even polarization between lovers and haters based on the posts here but it's clearly ended up as skewed to the negative.

·
Registered
2021 ISM Crosstrek Ltd
57 Posts
LOL, yes. Actually, I've found the poll part interesting. I was expecting a pretty even polarization between lovers and haters based on the posts here but it's clearly ended up as skewed to the negative.
Must be a statistical thing I don't get. Because to me the poll shows most voters either like it or don't care much one way or the other.

I'd be miffed, however, if I couldn't shut it off, although I never have, especially after learning how to make it work like I want. Most of my driving is city so I appreciate it when I let it work. And actually, I had been shutting my engine off in my '19 Impreza in similar situations for the last year I had it, and especially in drive-through lines. With this Trek I don't have to go through the gear shifting, shut off, starting, and putting it back in gear anymore. Far more seamless a solution... for me.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Must be a statistical thing I don't get. Because to me the poll shows most voters either like it or don't care much one way or the other.

I'd be miffed, however, if I couldn't shut it off, although I never have, especially after learning how to make it work like I want. Most of my driving is city so I appreciate it when I let it work. And actually, I had been shutting my engine off in my '19 Impreza in similar situations for the last year I had it, and especially in drive-through lines. With this Trek I don't have to go through the gear shifting, shut off, starting, and putting it back in gear anymore. Far more seamless a solution... for me.
Yeah, it's a stats thing. A bell curve for a normal distribution has the peak in the middle. This one has it to the right which is called a Negative Skew. In this case, twice as many people dislike or hate it (i.e. 42) than like it or love it (i.e. 21).

I'm trying to keep an open mind about it, having not experienced the Subaru version yet. I hated it in an Audi rental in the UK. The comments about the shuddering with the boxer engine are interesting, too.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I'm thinking of a new poll: Which oil is best for AS/S?

Should it be a heavier weight oil that will still be protecting the components while the engine is stopped or a lighter weight oil that will more quickly circulate during repeated starts?

😸

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Very clever!

It's not the length of your poll that matters but how you tabulate the results...

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
975 Posts
I'm thinking of a new poll: Which oil is best for AS/S?

Should it be a heavier weight oil that will still be protecting the components while the engine is stopped or a lighter weight oil that will more quickly circulate during repeated starts?

😸
The real question is how does AS/S affect the break in period with different oils and different octane fuels. For example - which is better, 87 octane ow-20 with AS/S off, or 91 octane 0w-30 with AS/S on, but long highway drives?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
The real question is how does AS/S affect the break in period with different oils and different octane fuels. For example - which is better, 87 octane ow-20 with AS/S off, or 91 octane 0w-30 with AS/S on, but long highway drives?
LMAO! You forgot how the tire weight can also be a factor in the startup process... 😸

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

·
Registered
115 Posts
You are all wrong, it clearly affects the blinker fluid the most. I hate refilling that stuff. So expensive. It's exotic fluid.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
You are all wrong, it clearly affects the blinker fluid the most. I hate refilling that stuff. So expensive. It's exotic fluid.
Yeah, and they only carry the orange stuff at the auto parts stores around here. It's almost impossible to find the red one for the older US cars that used the taillight for the turn signal.

Reactions: Montana Actual

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, and they only carry the orange stuff at the auto parts stores around here. It's almost impossible to find the red one for the older US cars that used the taillight for the turn signal.
"Do you have brake fluid?"
Guy at the counter shows you DOT3/DOT4
"No... brake fluid. For the lights"
Guy at counter:

So... How about that AS/S...

81 - 95 of 95 Posts