Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Do you like AS/S?

• I like AS/S and always use it / I want a car with AS/S

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • I hate AS/S and want to eliminate it completely / I won't buy a car with AS/S

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I have no strong opinion either way / I'll just turn it off when I don't want to use it

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • AS/S is OK, I don't love it but it's not a showstopper

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • I don't like AS/S, I don't hate it and it's not a showstopper

Votes: 31 31.0%
21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Dummest thing ever put on a car as a result of the environmental movement. it has been shown that the supposed savings add up to next to nothing. None of our subies have it but it will be something that gets turned off...yuk!

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium Black • CVT
92 Posts
This poll needs another category: AS/S is no longer an issue / Autostop Eliminator installed. 🛠:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
The AS/S on my '21 Limited had no bearing on my decision to buy the vehicle. Having it, and coming from a Prius, I really enjoy the peace and quiet at stoplights. We live in an urban environment, and I've not found the AS/S system to be intrusive. As a matter of fact, esp. in winter, I'm surprised at how infrequently it's activated. I've had our Limited for 3 months. When it was new, the AS/S system was a lot more jarring than I had expected; but now with 2,000 miles + on the car, it's smoothed out. I've never hit the button to turn it off. On the Crosstrek, I'm glad we have a physical button though. Unlike the Outback, don't have mess with display screen settings.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Dummest thing ever put on a car as a result of the environmental movement. it has been shown that the supposed savings add up to next to nothing. None of our subies have it but it will be something that gets turned off...yuk!
I don't like it either but I'm pretty sure the manufacturers are not required to install this (like they are with seatbelts, for example). It's something they have chosen to do to meet efficiency requirements. They could do the same with smaller, more efficient engines, like in the UK and Europe but that's a whole other argument... 😸

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Weird looking bell curve now! See first post...

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Premium CVT
19 Posts
I just feel like, alright, we went through how many decades of vehicles that worked just fine they way they are? Sure we might save a little on fuel here or there and create less pollution, but I'd rather not have it on my car if I had the choice. It works just fine without it, maybe even better. Don't add it to my car lol!

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It's now starting to resemble a bell curve as we're getting more data points, albeit with a negative skew, LOL!

·
Registered
115 Posts
You left out me!

I'm in the crowd who doesn't care if it's there. I don't like it, I don't hate it. I just don't want to be forced to use it. If I want to use it, I'll turn it on. You have the option of "I'll turn it off if I don't want to use it" but no option for people like me :(

Expressing opinions is good! Especially in this form. I think it's a pretty straight forward thread, but I just can't vote lol.

Some people just like to watch the world burn I guess 😈

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You left out me!

I'm in the crowd who doesn't care if it's there. I don't like it, I don't hate it. I just don't want to be forced to use it. If I want to use it, I'll turn it on. You have the option of "I'll turn it off if I don't want to use it" but no option for people like me :(

Expressing opinions is good! Especially in this form. I think it's a pretty straight forward thread, but I just can't vote lol.

Some people just like to watch the world burn I guess 😈
Well, if we had a category for every opinion here is would be a pretty long, flat bell curve, LOL!

I'd say you fall into this category:

I don't like AS/S, I don't hate it and it's not a showstopper

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The chart in the first post has been updated. With more data points it's looking more like a nice bell curve with a negative skew.

Sorry, @Montanan I'll only promote my poll in the same thread... 😸

So, here's the latest chart:

·
Registered
218 Posts
From the peanut gallery. The boxer engine just by its design is rough starting. That side to side motion is very noticeable. Supposedly, the Porche boxer engine does the same thing.
If I could disable it with an easter egg I would. I'm not paying a $100 for a electronic disabler. It does not add value to the car.
Our Porsche flat 6 is quite smooth, even in it's "cold run mode". They just are not building engines today that are very good(properly balanced, forged components, higher quality bearings,service design, etc..). Basically, they are throw-away, disposable components that are difficult, or sometimes not designed for rebuilding/servicing.
There is a guy down the way with a newer 4 cyl Boxster, his complaint is the lack of torque compared to the 6.
regards

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
After 53 votes it's looking like most of the members here are not fans of AS/S. Whether that's representative of the rest of the population of Crosstrek owners (or Subaru, or gas powered cars in general), who knows?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
11,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Interesting take on the results.

I sum it up differently. :)
Go for it! No one will be right or wrong, especially as it's such a small sample. FWIW, I thought it would be more polarized but as more votes are being cast it's looking more and more like a bell curve with a negative skew.

Edit: Extra points for using an adverb... 😸

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't like it based on nothing more than a gut feeling that the starters will be dying prematurely. Maybe I'm wrong. And I have a'19 that doesn't have the feature and hopefully I can avoid ever getting a car with it. Regardless of the amount of fuel it saves or emissions it prevents I'm against it. I'm rather certain the idea is emissions not MPG, BTW. UPS has had an auto stop feature in their vehicles for quite a few years to kill the engine after relatively short period of idling. I was of the impression it was for fuel savings at the time however.

·
Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
975 Posts
I just feel like, alright, we went through how many decades of vehicles that worked just fine they way they are?
I don't like it based on nothing more than a gut feeling
It seems like a lot of this is people's feelings and their dislike of changes. That's fine, but it's also not feasible to convince them differently.

I think it's also worth reinforcing that the people driving the market are the ones buying new Crosstreks. If y'all were buying new cars every year then the automakers would pay much closer attention to your input. I "voted" for the AS/S feature by waiting for the 2020 and buying one with AS/S.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts