Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Do you like AS/S?

• I like AS/S and always use it / I want a car with AS/S

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • I hate AS/S and want to eliminate it completely / I won't buy a car with AS/S

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I have no strong opinion either way / I'll just turn it off when I don't want to use it

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • AS/S is OK, I don't love it but it's not a showstopper

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • I don't like AS/S, I don't hate it and it's not a showstopper

Votes: 31 31.0%
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The introduction of Auto Stop/Start (AS/S) with the '20+ models has generated a LOT of heated discussion here, for and against. I'm curious about the breakdown and whether it will inform us if AS/S is a good idea or not.

No need to express an opinion or vent here, there are PLENTY of other threads for that... 馃樃

I'm just interested who is for it, who's against it and who doesn't care.

EDIT: JUST ADDED TWO NEW CATEGORIES - YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR VOTE IF YOU WISH!

I'll try to keep this up to date while the votes are coming in:

Prefers non-orange cars
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Very interesting so far! I was expecting equal likes and don't likes based on the posts here. Maybe @Sarang is right that the haters are more vocal, LOL!

Do we need another question: Don't know because I haven't tried it but I'm keeping an open mind?

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
I'm guessing most peoples' thoughts are a little more nuanced. Personally, I don't like AS/S and I don't think it's really achieving any sort of "green" goal ... but "hate" would be way too strong a word, and I'd never reject buying the car because of it.

Lots of shades of gray here ... kind of like a dirty gray Crosstrek. :sneaky:

Registered
2020 Crosstrek Sport, Sunshine Orange
I guess I'm indifferent. But I can't say it bothers me. I enjoy the quietness while waiting at a red light. It allows my wife and I to have a conversation without raising our voices. It has yet to impede my driving. I have noticed that I ease the brakes a fraction of a second sooner to start the engine when anticipating a green light just so that I can step on the gas without delay. On average, the AS/S features saves me between 700-1000 ml of gas per tank according to the little counter in the gauge cluster.

TL;DR: Meh.

Reactions: [email protected]

Prefers non-orange cars
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm guessing most peoples' thoughts are a little more nuanced. Personally, I don't like AS/S and I don't think it's really achieving any sort of "green" goal ... but "hate" would be way too strong a word, and I'd never reject buying the car because of it.

Lots of shades of gray here ... kind of like a dirty gray Crosstrek. :sneaky:
Good point, I'm in that category too. I know a poll can be edited but does that preserve the existing votes?

Administrator
Yeah, you should be able to, provided you don't change the order of the existing responses. If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll try using my Mod superpowers ...

Prefers non-orange cars
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, you should be able to, provided you don't change the order of the existing responses. If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll try using my Mod superpowers ...
Actually, it would change the order:

1. I Love it / I want to buy a car with it
2. I like it but it's not a showpstopper if a car doesn't have it
3. I have no strong opinion either way / I'll just turn it off when I don't want to use it
4. I don't like it but it's not a show stopper if a car has it
5. I hate it / would not buy a car with it or would try to disable it

Administrator
I think you鈥檙e gonna need to start over.

You should get a nice bell curve of responses for those choices, I鈥檓 guessing鈥

Prefers non-orange cars
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think you鈥檙e gonna need to start over.

You should get a nice bell curve of responses for those choices, I鈥檓 guessing鈥
Yeah, I should've thought THAT through... :rolleyes:

Sorry, folks, I just added the other options out of order and will fix the results in post-production, LOL! You can change your vote to one of the new ones if you wish...

Prefers non-orange cars
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, with my vote, it鈥檚 starting to kind of resemble a bell curve, if I look at it cattywompus鈥
Not quite... 馃樃

Edit: see first post for updated chart

Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
As more manufacturers join the bandwagon for AS/S, if a certain vehicle is on my shopping list and a defeat device is available, I'm more likely to consider buying it.

Edit: IF I really wanted an XYZ car that doesn't have a defeat device available, I'll just have to learn to press the button every time I get in just like locking my doors because MY18-19 doesn't have auto door locks but MY20+ does.

Registered
Actually I hate it and installed the auto s/s eliminator. Now I'm happy

Needs a Butch car
2020 Crosstrek Premium
I'm interested in the outcome. Of course we're not getting responses from all the people who don't join car forums, so I wouldn't take this as gospel.

Prefers non-orange cars
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm interested in the outcome. Of course we're not getting responses from all the people who don't join car forums, so I wouldn't take this as gospel.
Yeah, that occurred to me, too. We're definitely the minority. I wonder how representative we are of the majority, in this regard?

Registered
From the peanut gallery. The boxer engine just by its design is rough starting. That side to side motion is very noticeable. Supposedly, the Porche boxer engine does the same thing.
If I could disable it with an easter egg I would. I'm not paying a $100 for a electronic disabler. It does not add value to the car.

Registered
2019 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
It does not add value to the car.
The starter only has a certain amount of starts it can do until it throws a code saying it needs to be replaced. In my POV, I think it's worth my money to buy the device if it'll save me hundreds of dollars and extend the life of the starter and engine since there are fewer restarts.

Prefers non-orange cars
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 95 Posts