Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
The wife's car is an Audi with ***. We hate it. Like the Subaru, it is enabled every time, so we've learned to reach down and disable it every time. In Sport Mode it is disabled, and so we usually drive around town in that mode, and only use Drive Mode for highway driving.
LOL, I was swearing all the way from the airport until I could download a manual! 馃樃

Registered
The avalanche has already started.
I'd never even KNOWN such a thing was commonplace. My previous car (I've had the Crosstrek less than a month, now) was a 2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S (almost 170k miles), so there was no such thing as this mythical "auto stop/start" unicorn (AND GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!) thingy. The first time I drove off the lot and stopped at a red light in my brand new Crosstrek, the engine died. And I'm thinking "OMGWTF" panicking.....

I'm beginning to appreciate the system but it still can be really annoying at times.

Registered
Engineering Explained on YouTube has a video on the *** system. The fuel economy gain is tiny. It is a hack to improve the government city numbers, which require a specified profile of stop/go driving. At each stop the engine turns off, so the fuel economy is infinite for that time period! There is a real benefit to emissions by avoiding the idling. If you really do drive in the city with a lot of time stopped at traffic lights, the *** will reduce air pollution, and fractionally will improve your fuel economy.

I've had a couple of unpleasant experiences with hesitation when the engine was stopped, and I believe it an inherently dangerous feature. It should be default off.

Registered
Engineering Explained on YouTube has a video on the * system. The fuel economy gain is tiny. It is a hack to improve the government city numbers, which require a specified profile of stop/go driving. At each stop the engine turns off, so the fuel economy is infinite for that time period! There is a real benefit to emissions by avoiding the idling. If you really do drive in the city with a lot of time stopped at traffic lights, the * will reduce air pollution, and fractionally will improve your fuel economy.

I've had a couple of unpleasant experiences with hesitation when the engine was stopped, and I believe it an inherently dangerous feature. It should be default off.
Like everything, there are advantages and drawbacks. I'm okay with it being defaulted on, and knowing I have the ability to turn it off. I've gotten used to the system, and I appreciate the emissions benefits. It's also made me a bit more attentive, as I am more focused on traffic when I'm at a stoplight/sign so that I'm anticipating when I am to begin moving (so that I press the brake a touch more and the engine restarts even through the brake is still applied). Performing the re-start this way also removes the hesitation that comes from the "lift-foot-off-brake-and-immediately-on-accelerator" that I experienced at first.

It's a newer system, and I'm living into it and learning the quirks. I'm no where near as vitriolic as you seem to be about it. Each person's experience is going to be different and that's okay, too.

Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
These things should have the ability to be turned off and stay off by the owner of the vehicle instead of requiring the owner to turn it off every time they start the car.

They don't, so this is where the auto stop eliminator cones in.

Registered
Like everything, there are advantages and drawbacks. I'm okay with it being defaulted on, and knowing I have the ability to turn it off. I've gotten used to the system, and I appreciate the emissions benefits. It's also made me a bit more attentive, as I am more focused on traffic when I'm at a stoplight/sign so that I'm anticipating when I am to begin moving (so that I press the brake a touch more and the engine restarts even through the brake is still applied). Performing the re-start this way also removes the hesitation that comes from the "lift-foot-off-brake-and-immediately-on-accelerator" that I experienced at first.

It's a newer system, and I'm living into it and learning the quirks. I'm no where near as vitriolic as you seem to be about it. Each person's experience is going to be different and that's okay, too.
There are a few of reasons I really dislike the system. We live in a hilly mountain town with curvy roads. The visibility at some intersections is quite poor, so when it looks clear to go the actual window of time can be small if someone is just out of view, especially if they are speeding. A couple of times I've stepped on the gas in these situations only to have the car shudder and hesitate while starting, and then as I'm beginning to move a fast vehicle is coming around the bend. Another reason is I don't drive the vehicle very often, so it is a surprise to me when it does this. I usually keep it in Sport Mode to defeat the ***, but if for some reason I am in Drive Mode unknowingly, *** can surprise me.

If it is a daily driver, yes the operator will get used to the system and learn to compensate for it. Not ideal, but probably mostly mitigates the threat created by ***.

Another reason I really dislike the system is that this is an expensive vehicle. To have this kind of crap going on, and the shuddering at every stop light, is not consistent with the smiles such a vehicle should impart.

To be clear, *** creates threats to safety. Yes, you have learned to compensate for it, but that then introduces secondary effects such as taking some of your concentration away or setting you up to rear-end someone if you are anticipating moving and then they panic stop. Good systems remove threats, bad systems increase threats.

Registered
To be clear, *** creates threats to safety. Yes, you have learned to compensate for it, but that then introduces secondary effects such as taking some of your concentration away or setting you up to rear-end someone if you are anticipating moving and then they panic stop. Good systems remove threats, bad systems increase threats.
If you're relying on the car to start and GO GO GO as you take your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator, you'll experience that sluggishness. Not surprising. I've discovered, on my '21, that when I apply the brakes and then stop the engine is stopped. When I push down the brake pedal again, the engine starts. If I press it again, the AS/S system is turned off. I've seen this enough times to know it happens without me reaching down and pressing the button above the fuse panel, by the SRH button.

Having the car already running is not going to remove the possibility to rear-end if they panic stop. At least this way, my foot is still firmly on the brake pedal, and not already lifting OFF the brake and moving to the accelerator. And I'm watching traffic actively, including the car in front of me. Your region, and described use-case, means that you have other needs. As I stated: Each person's experience is going to be different and that's okay, too. Same with each person's use-case needs. Luckily, we have options.

I do absolutely agree with the shuddering. :) That's disconcerting, at ANY price, and especially for one that we'd paid a premium. Same goes with the remote-start... either get a part installed and have a massive second keyfob, or pay a contract to be able to start car as a service... :)

Registered
These things should have the ability to be turned off and stay off by the owner of the vehicle instead of requiring the owner to turn it off every time they start the car.

They don't, so this is where the auto stop eliminator cones in.
I absolutely agree. It should have been a remembered toggled state, not a volatile state that's reset every initial ignition.

Reactions: Phil76

Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
the threat created by ***.

To be clear, *** creates threats to safety.

setting you up to rear-end someone if you are anticipating moving and then they panic stop.
LOL! Oh man I didn't know I could roll my eyes this hard. If you're gunna rear end someone because your car didn't start moving fast enough I sure don't want you driving anywhere near me!

Another reason I really dislike the system is that this is an expensive vehicle. To have this kind of crap going on, and the shuddering at every stop light, is not consistent with the smiles such a vehicle should impart.
I guess you should have test drove it before buying? LOL

Registered
If you're relying on the car to start and GO GO GO as you take your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator, you'll experience that sluggishness. Not surprising. I've discovered, on my '21, that when I apply the brakes and then stop the engine is stopped. When I push down the brake pedal again, the engine starts. If I press it again, the AS/S system is turned off. I've seen this enough times to know it happens without me reaching down and pressing the button above the fuse panel, by the SRH button.

Having the car already running is not going to remove the possibility to rear-end if they panic stop. At least this way, my foot is still firmly on the brake pedal, and not already lifting OFF the brake and moving to the accelerator. And I'm watching traffic actively, including the car in front of me. Your region, and described use-case, means that you have other needs. As I stated: Each person's experience is going to be different and that's okay, too. Same with each person's use-case needs. Luckily, we have options.

I do absolutely agree with the shuddering. :) That's disconcerting, at ANY price, and especially for one that we'd paid a premium. Same goes with the remote-start... either get a part installed and have a massive second keyfob, or pay a contract to be able to start car as a service... :)

On the Audi the system seems to recognize greatly reducing brake pressure as a signal to restart the engine. The car is so quiet that under normal circumstances I don't know the engine has stopped until I take my foot off the brake and it does the shudder stumble hesitate GO routine, at which point either I push the button or shift to Sport. The first intersection out of the neighborhood is a T with fast moving traffic that can be nasty. Downhill traffic is supposed to stop but sometimes they run the sign intentionally, and the uphill traffic is speed limit 25 but a lot (tourists & California transplants) are doing 45+. It is not a location to be timid about getting moving!

My Subi is manual transmission, so luckily no AS/S on it.

For the tiny improvement in fuel economy it provides, AS/S is a needless cost increase as well as introducing safety threats. It should be outlawed.

Registered
For the tiny improvement in fuel economy it provides, AS/S is a needless cost increase as well as introducing safety threats. It should be outlawed.
Okay. Gotcha. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Registered
LOL! Oh man I didn't know I could roll my eyes this hard. If you're gunna rear end someone because your car didn't start moving fast enough I sure don't want you driving anywhere near me!

I guess you should have test drove it before buying? LOL
No, you misunderstand the situation. Imagine you know your engine is stopped, and you know there is going to be a short delay from when you move your foot from brake to accelerator. So, you anticipate the stopped car in front of you is going to move. They take their foot off the brake, their brake lights go dark, and you take your foot off the brake and apply gas even though they are not yet moving. But now that driver hits his brakes because of some random reason like a pedestrian runs in front of them. You are moving already, and now you are caught surprised in the OODA loop. Observe - Orient - Decide - Act.

Normally, you would not hit the gas pedal before you saw them actually moving, and you would preserve a certain safe distance. But, because of the inherent delay with AS/S, you have learned to act sooner, resulting in the same normal safe distance which includes the AS/S delays.

When you are Startle Surprised, you have a slowed reaction time, and you enter the OODA loop later than if you were expecting the event.

All that to say, you've been conditioned to prematurely tell the car to move because you know there is a delay. This sets you up for failure when the unexpected happens such as the car in front stopping immediately when you expect them to instead go when the light turns green.

Registered
The vast majority of threads / posts on A.S.S. wouldn't exist if only Subaru made the feature retain its state, rather than default to "ON" every time.

Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
The vast majority of threads / posts on A.S.S. wouldn't exist if only Subaru made the feature retain its state, rather than default to "ON" every time.
Must have been the same engineer who worked on the radio... 馃樃

Registered
The feature helps the gas mileage "rating". I think if the switch retained its state, this feature wouldn't count towards their mileage.

Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
No, you misunderstand the situation.
I think I do understand. I sincerely think that if that's a situation in which the driver can't stop in time, then that driver should not be driving. If you have that slow of reaction time, you certainly can't hit the brakes in time on the freeway in Phoenix... to say nothing of the LA area.

It's not any more complicated or dangerous than having to operate a clutch. In fact with eyesight it's probably safer.

I mean if you don't like it, no worries. I don't really care if people want to install defeat devices. But to call it somehow dangerous is disingenuous. It reminds me of the folks who claim the 2.0 is "dangerously under powered". It's on the buyer to test drive and decide if they like the vehicle with all its features/bugs.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts