Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just becoming acquainted with all the new features on my new 2021 limited crosstrek (any pointers/thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated).

I think I like the auto/stop feature but the shut off and restart is a bit rough. Also, will this have any long term effects on the starter motor etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Crosstrek
4 Posts
I'm getting adjusted to my newer Crosstrek (from 2018) and I have the same impression of the rough restart.

My 2018 didn't have the Eyesight bells/whistles that I'm trying to get used to but I do like the bigger engine.

I hope this car is better on the highway since the 2018 was terrible with wandering/roaming issue even without winds.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,153 Posts
Eliminate the rough re-starts and wear & tear with this:

Reactions: Jandroid

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just installed the auto stop eliminator mentioned above and it was simple to install and got rid of that hard start. I don’t think that feature is good for starters as well as motor mounts, etc.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
171 Posts
I also installed that device. I understand the point in the Auto Start Stop (***, for short 😜 ) but I do not understand why it has to be turned off every time your start your car. Thankfully, the eliminator makes the button perform that way.

Turn it off, it's off until you turn it back on. Come to think of it....I've never turned it back on, LOL.

·
Registered
981 Posts
From Practical Motoring magazine Australia

"Does stop-start cause premature wear and tear?
The widespread application of stop-start has only been possible because of improvements in things like battery technology, bearings, oils and control systems in vehicles. See, asking an engine to stop and then start again places strains on components. Indeed, if you took a starter motor from the 1990s and looked at one from today, the modern starter would be much stronger capable of handling up to 500,000 cycles in its ‘lifetime’ – the older starter would have only been designed to handle around 50,000 start cycles. All sorts of things are different, from the type of bearings used, to the long-life brushes, the way the solenoid works, the wiring (beefed up). The aim is to make it easier for the starter motor to do its job.
The same with the battery which is now a much stronger thing than it was in the 1990s, and that’s because when the engine’s stopped, but we still want to keep our lights on and listen to music and run the heating or cooling, and then start the engine when the lights turn green.
Practical Motoring spoke with the technical boss at a leading car maker who said that stop-start doesn’t cause additional wear and tear on an engine but that the owner must adhere to the recommended service schedule and use the manufacturer’s recommended oil. “Using cheaper oils can cause more damage to your car’s engine than anything else,” he told Practical Motoring. “Operational stop-start causes no wear and tear at all; wear and tear at cold start-up is a thing, though,” he said.
Or there are those that are clever enough to determine when you’ve slowed down almost to a complete stop but have changed your mind and jumped back onto the throttle again… even though the system has started its stop cycle, it’s able to cancel that in a split second based on your throttle application and keep you moving; Subaru’s stop-start system does this very well, for example."

(and let's not start another O I L thread) ;)

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,809 Posts
(and let's not start another O I L thread) ;)
Too late... 😸

I had one experience of stop/start on a rental Audi and hated it. I haven't yet driven a Crosstrek with it. I'd give it a try but would probably end up buying the eliminator. In fact, I'd probably just wait for the BEV Crosstrek...

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

·
Registered
981 Posts
I think if I was driving in an area with more traffic lights, AS/S would drive me bonkers and I'd want an eliminator too.
Don't AUDIs tend to stop by themselves anyway?

·
Registered
2017 and 2021 CrossTrek Limited
233 Posts
I also installed that device. I understand the point in the Auto Start Stop (***, for short 😜 ) but I do not understand why it has to be turned off every time your start your car. Thankfully, the eliminator makes the button perform that way.

Turn it off, it's off until you turn it back on. Come to think of it....I've never turned it back on, LOL.
Ditto on the "A.S.S." Eliminator!

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,809 Posts
I think if I was driving in an area with more traffic lights, AS/S would drive me bonkers and I'd want an eliminator too.
Don't AUDIs tend to stop by themselves anyway?
Well, yeah, they stop but don't start again. It's a special built in feature, LOL!

What was worse was that it was a rental in England and it was awful when trying to navigate the myriad roundabouts... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I still do not like the A.S.S. on our forester. The A.S.S. eventually will smooth out after 1000 mile or so. You can also lift up the brake a little to prevent the A.S.S. kick in. You will eventually get use to the A.S.S.
Yes, auto stop/start is A.S.S.

·
Registered
2017 and 2021 CrossTrek Limited
233 Posts
I still do not like the A.S.S. on our forester. The A.S.S. eventually will smooth out after 1000 mile or so. You can also lift up the brake a little to prevent the A.S.S. kick in. You will eventually get use to the A.S.S.
Yes, auto stop/start is A.S.S.
More like a pain in the A.S.S.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks SubieSubieDo. I was really curious about the effects of constant starting/stopping as it sounds and feels harsh.
As for purchasing AAS eliminator etc - that is not needed on my car as there is a switch (Labeled by the letter A encircled by a half arrow) below the dash - on the left side which allows you to turn it off - must be repeated each time you turn on the engine but really just a push of a button.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,809 Posts
Oh, another thread about AS/S? Cool.
LOL, it won't be the last and it's not as if we don't already have a bunch, and there's a search feature... 😸

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,153 Posts
As for purchasing AAS eliminator etc - that is not needed on my car as there is a switch (Labeled by the letter A encircled by a half arrow) below the dash - on the left side which allows you to turn it off - must be repeated each time you turn on the engine but really just a push of a button.
The AS/S Eliminator remembers your last push of the AS/S button so that you don't have to push the button every time you start the engine.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thanks SubieSubieDo. I was really curious about the effects of constant starting/stopping as it sounds and feels harsh.
You're welcome @AJR and WELCOME to the forum.
I like the way this article broke down all the elements and the improvements made. Particularly the plug for Subaru's AS/S being a bit intelligent when it comes to "change of mind".
My model also has the A button but I don't really need to use it as I'm not in a heavily built up area and IMHO the safety features and ACC seem to behave a little better if it's left on. I love the ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) and the way it warns you when it has lost sight of the lead vehicle although the braking is a bit more aggressive than I am. The blind spot detection and rear cross traffic alerts are great too. My tip would be check out the features in the owner's manual. Some can be tweaked using settings via the i button on the steering wheel and allow you to customise a little to your preference. Enjoy your 2021. What colour did you get? Any pics?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just becoming acquainted with all the new features on my new 2021 limited crosstrek (any pointers/thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated).

I think I like the auto/stop feature but the shut off and restart is a bit rough. Also, will this have any long term effects on the starter motor etc.

Thanks!
I highly recommend getting this eliminator. Or your battery and starter will die prematurely. I got it for my Forester. Autostop Eliminator - The only no-compromise solution!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Too late... 😸

I had one experience of stop/start on a rental Audi and hated it. I haven't yet driven a Crosstrek with it. I'd give it a try but would probably end up buying the eliminator. In fact, I'd probably just wait for the BEV Crosstrek...
The wife's car is an Audi with ***. We hate it. Like the Subaru, it is enabled every time, so we've learned to reach down and disable it every time. In Sport Mode it is disabled, and so we usually drive around town in that mode, and only use Drive Mode for highway driving.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts