Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
@tamanaco, they have an install video on their site using a Forester. The Crosstrek install process will be the same as the Forester's since on the Forester the Autostop Eliminator cable also connects to the RAB box located under the driver's seat just as it does on the Crosstrek.
Thanks. My bad... I never bother to scroll further down the Autostop Eliminator page on my tablet. The last line was the "Add to Cart", so I went straight to the FAQs link.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Premium
422 Posts
Not fully depressing the brake pedal when stopped sounds like a potentially unsafe practice to me.
You can just push the pedal down a little further to immediately restart the engine. No need to go light to avoid it. Any significant brake pedal movement seems to restart the engine.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just installed the Autostop eliminator. I ended up unbolting the RAB unit from the floor and moving the seat all the way back. The tab on the connector is on the bottom and at for me that made it hard to remove. Otherwise really not hard as all. Works as advertised.

Reactions: mhdc103

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just installed the Autostop eliminator. I ended up unbolting the RAB unit from the floor and moving the seat all the way back. The tab on the connector is on the bottom and at for me that made it hard to remove. Otherwise really not hard as all. Works as advertised.
I don't understand why you would go to that trouble when all you have to do after starting the car is push a button once.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't understand why you would go to that trouble when all you have to do after starting the car is push a button once.
For me I don't want to keep remembering to push the button. If you are happy pushing the button every time you start the car that's fine for you.

Reactions: erader

·
Registered
48 Posts
My reply in another thread.
Just chiming in to say that I do not like AS/S at all in my '21 Outdoor. I normally hit the button when I first start the car, but sometimes I forget and then when it does its thing it never ceases to piss me off, haha. I'll be getting that disabler doohickey one of these days...

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,067 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Put it in the other day. Didn't need to unbolt anything, just moved the seat all the way back, but I have decently small hands.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Put it in the other day. Didn't need to unbolt anything, just moved the seat all the way back, but I have decently small hands.
Unfortunately I don't have real small hands, I just couldn't undo the connector. At least for me unbolting the RAB from the floor was the fastest way to go and it only took a moment to do. Anyway it works fine.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited Crystal White Pearl
43 Posts
For the first day and a half at least driving in Phoenix, AZ with the weather well exceeding 105* it never auto stopped for me. Not that I wanted it to by any means and thought I’d got lucky and maybe the memory made it stay off each time. It wasn’t until the 2nd night late that it actually auto stopped and threw me off. Turns out if the air is on max blow or one from max (I believe it was) it doesn’t auto stop. Not sure what all interlocks prevent it from auto stopping just yet, when I care enough I‘ll read about it in the owners manual lol.

its happening more now that’s it’s been cooler and still throws me off lol. If it becomes too much of a nuisance or bothers me that much then I’ll look into this eliminator. It’s nice to know that there is an option knowing how many people it bothers. Time will tell since I drive the car so little.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I haven't driven the car with auto start stop disabled or enabled, since it's my wife's car, but she notices it, and she isn't a car person.

She commutes in a sketch area. So last thing I want for her is to get stranded for some odd reason due to the auto start stop.

Off topic, butt sub xv, what percentage tint did you get for your front? I'm looking to get the Crosstrek tinted. Hopefully it will lessen the amount my wife gets hassled. Someone threw a can of soda at her the other day, person was trying to sell her water and she refused. They threw it at her as she was driving off.

·
Registered
2021 Crosstrek Limited Crystal White Pearl
43 Posts
I haven't driven the car with auto start stop disabled or enabled, since it's my wife's car, but she notices it, and she isn't a car person.

She commutes in a sketch area. So last thing I want for her is to get stranded for some odd reason due to the auto start stop.

Off topic, butt sub xv, what percentage tint did you get for your front? I'm looking to get the Crosstrek tinted. Hopefully it will lessen the amount my wife gets hassled. Someone threw a can of soda at her the other day, person was trying to sell her water and she refused. They threw it at her as she was driving off.
it is 35%, which is legal here in AZ for the fronts. I would have gone darker but the dealer has to stick with legal and that‘s what they tint all their cars with. They only do the fronts since the rears are smoked glass. After that I went to a tint shop and I went 20% on all the back windows. my signature picture is a bit deceiving and not as dark as it looks, I chose that one because it looked better from that angle lol. Here are a couple pics that are a bit more realistic.

The tint guys will tint the windows whatever you ask them to, they can only make recommendations as to what is “legal”. You can get away with darker on the front, the big thing they said is that there is a distinguishable difference between the front and back and hopefully the law won’t hassle you.

I went 25% for the front on my 4Runner and 15% for the rear and am happier with that.
7F13E54D-AE78-4586-948B-0A1C9E714409.png
DBC524DA-7251-4E0F-99B9-0638901A0509.png

Here’s the tint on the 4Runner for reference I recently had done. The windshield was also done in 55% but can’t do the Subi since it has eyesight according to Subaru. I would think they could do a cutout like the shape of the the Covercraft custom Subaru sun visor though. 55% w.s., 25% fronts, 15% rears. It also has factory smoked glass similar to Subi.
13758567-D4B3-4B05-91A3-842F368494DD.jpeg

8037BC07-19D0-4CC1-8A2A-A36C67D6D082.jpeg

B345AD4F-E5B2-4EC2-A60A-6A923EA46FAD.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
You all really need to stop disabling auto start stop. Don't like it? Shouldn't have bought the car. Get used to auto start stop. Within a few years every vehicle will have it or be electric.

Just because where you live isn't ravaged by global warming now doesn't mean it will always be safe. The 3-4 shut offs on your morning commute that "just doesn't sit right" with you helps keep the air breathable for your children.

·
Registered
726 Posts
You all really need to stop disabling auto start stop. Don't like it? Shouldn't have bought the car. Get used to auto start stop. Within a few years every vehicle will have it or be electric.

Just because where you live isn't ravaged by global warming now doesn't mean it will always be safe. The 3-4 shut offs on your morning commute that "just doesn't sit right" with you helps keep the air breathable for your children.
that's a good point. but it could also be a feature that goes away after a couple of years (tho I doubt it). I would give it a chance and adapt if possible. I suspect after awhile auto stop would be a non-issue for me.

·
Registered
121 Posts

The 3-4 times it shuts off for a few seconds isn’t going to do a darn thing for global warming. You should be on a hundred other forums preaching before even thinking about this one and the few of us that want to disable the AS/S. If you are afraid of global warming you should be on the Tesla or Prius forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also think that this "feature" is going to be available in all future cars. It will probably be mandatory in some places.The issue is that the "current" implementation is a little too rough. It feels like the car is malfunctioning when you want to start rolling after a full stop. I'm sure that engineers are working on fine tuning this feature so that future cars will restart smoothly. We just happen to be suffering the early stages of development. But... I'm glad that we have a "button" to turn it off "every time" we start the car rather than an option buried in the infotaiment menus like in other models. And... we also have the "option" to buy and install the Autostop Eliminator.

To each its own... keep it on, turn it off every time you start the car or keep it off for as long as you want via the Eliminator.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
3,621 Posts
I strongly support pressuring automakers to markedly improve gas mileage, and I'm pretty disgusted by America's fetish for ridiculously large vehicles. (Have you guys spent any time around an Ascent? Those things are obscene.) We absolutely need to make real changes in our consumption habits, for the sake of future generations.

That said, I still think that the Auto Stop function in the Crosstrek is a pretty ridiculous step towards that goal. According to the instrument cluster data, each time it activates on my car it saves at most a couple-hundredths of a gallon of gas ... sometimes just a few thousandths of a gallon. That may end up being a meaningful saving over time for a small handful of us, but for the vast majority of owners the lifetime savings will likely be less than the manufacturing costs of the feature -- and much of the environmental savings will be offset by that, too.

And in the meantime Subaru (and other carmakers) markets us subscriptions to a remote-start feature that will end up expending way more gas than Auto Stop will ever save. And that doesn't impact EPA fuel consumption tests at all.

So we need to push harder for better real-world vehicle mileage, stop loving on the giant Ugly American cars ... and stop trying to game the system with nickel-and-dime "features" like this.

/rant over. :)

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,202 Posts
I strongly support pressuring automakers to markedly improve gas mileage, and I'm pretty disgusted by America's fetish for ridiculously large vehicles. (Have you guys spent any time around an Ascent? Those things are obscene.) We absolutely need to make real changes in our consumption habits, for the sake of future generations.

That said, I still think that the Auto Stop function in the Crosstrek is a pretty ridiculous step towards that goal. According to the instrument cluster data, each time it activates on my car it saves at most a couple-hundredths of a gallon of gas ... sometimes just a few thousandths of a gallon. That may end up being a meaningful saving over time for a small handful of us, but for the vast majority of owners the lifetime savings will likely be less than the manufacturing costs of the feature -- and much of the environmental savings will be offset by that, too.

And in the meantime Subaru (and other carmakers) markets us subscriptions to a remote-start feature that will end up expending way more gas than Auto Stop will ever save. And that doesn't impact EPA fuel consumption tests at all.

So we need to push harder for better real-world vehicle mileage, stop loving on the giant Ugly American cars ... and stop trying to game the system with nickel-and-dime "features" like this.

/rant over. :)
Yep, I wish the automakers would "push harder" rather than, say, put a bigger engine in the Crosstrek...

Reactions: SubaruBill
61 - 80 of 93 Posts