Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of us wish there were an easy way to 'permanently' disable A/S/S without modifying the factory wiring or jeopardizing our warranty. There are several hacks out there but in my research only one truly quality, reliable solution being produced and there is not yet a Crosstrek variant available.

I reached out to Travis at Autostop Eliminator several months ago. At that point he did not yet have access to a 2020 Crosstrek for development and testing. I offered to do research on my end but then we both got busy. He contacted me again about a week ago and offered to send a Forester A/S/S eliminator module if I'd do the test fit and respond with my findings. It arrived late yesterday and installed today in several minutes. It functions exactly as described with persistence of memory through power cycles and generates no error codes. I've verified this via My Subaru app and with an OBD scan tool.

The design requires access to M/F connectors w/ +12v, gnd and CAN bus. These connectors and signals are readily available at the RAB module under the driver's seat on a 2020 Limited. This device uses factory connectors and installs in series with the factory harness to the RAB module. There is a short installation video on Travis' website that describes the simple installation.

The device is not cheap but neither was my car. It is factory quality, simple to install and works flawlessly. If you're tired of pushing the A/S/S disable button each drive cycle this is a viable solution. It is a 5 minute install and is just as easy to remove. No permanent change to the factory wiring required. The dash button continues to work normally with the last setting being remembered (on or off) and retained indefinitely.

I have no affiliation w/ the manufacturer. I am simply a satisfied customer sharing my experience.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've offered to help Travis identify another potential location for install in base/premium models. We're both pretty busy but with a little luck we might find a suitable, accessible location for these other models. If so, I'll post an update to confirm.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 19 limited and have been waiting for these guys to get it done.
We have one in our Jeep and works perfectly.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
9,202 Posts
I have a 19 limited and have been waiting for these guys to get it done.
We have one in our Jeep and works perfectly.
Huh? It first appeared on the '20...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've offered to help Travis identify another potential location for install in base/premium models. We're both pretty busy but with a little luck we might find a suitable, accessible location for these other models. If so, I'll post an update to confirm.
I got a 2020 premium with the CVT if you or him need me to check something out. I also have a power probe if needed to check for power/ground. I can check to see if I have that harness under my seat & if it gets +/- without the module if that helps? Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have this on my 2019 Forester Touring. Works great easy install. Easy to remove if you want (like when you bring the car in). On the Forester it plugs into the module under the driver's seat, basically just plugs Inline with the wiring. I have big hands had a problem disconnecting the cable, 2 10mm bolts and the module is free. It remembers the last position of the a/s/s button. A little pricy but worth it to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why not just use a wire and ground the push button?
This is the correct way and is completely reversible. You're essentially shorting the auto start/stop button so the car thinks it's pressed at every startup. No special software or tools are needed. Details are covered here -

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,202 Posts
This is the correct way and is completely reversible. You're essentially shorting the auto start/stop button so the car thinks it's pressed at every startup. No special software or tools are needed. Details are covered here -
I wonder if places with strict emission controls, like here in California, will start looking for that during the smog check?

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2019 Crosstrek Limited
1,067 Posts
That video is from 2016 Crosstrek in a non-US market so it may not be that easy on the 2020 US Crosstrek. If anyone with a US Crosstrek tries this let us know.

·
Registered
88 Posts
l did see another video where they took the switch apart and basically soldered wires on the back of the contact points of the switch then wired in a separate toggle switch. That way they could use still use auto s/s as normal if they wanted to or flip the toggle to keep it disabled. I’ll have to see if I can find that video again & post it.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
9,202 Posts
l did see another video where they took the switch apart and basically soldered wires on the back of the contact points of the switch then wired in a separate toggle switch. That way they could use still use auto s/s as normal if they wanted to or flip the toggle to keep it disabled. I’ll have to see if I can find that video again & post it.
So you can turn it back on for the smog check... 😸

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not very good at electronics. I'd rather pay for the cable than short out the car. Plus I'm old :eek:. And going thru some health issues.

The cable is easily removed. And it remembers the last position of the button. I don't want any warranty problems.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I was at the dealer today to have the recalls looked after and they gave me an new Outback as a loaner for a few hours. My first experience with the auto stop/start. There's been a fair bit of comment about this "feature" on different threads but I can honestly say it wasn't that big a PITA as I thought it would be. The engine would shut off whenever I came to a stop but I'd momentarily release the brake and the vehicle would immediately start back up and stay running while I waited for the green with my foot firmly on the brake. When traffic moved I was ready to go. Eyesight did do something it hasn't done before. It gave me a message when I didn't move forward from a stop as quickly as it thought I should. Perhaps re-flashing the ECU added this "feature". I'll be finding and putting a stop to that.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,300 Posts
I have that on my '17.
I call it the "stoner alert."🚬

Reactions: Rod H
1 - 20 of 93 Posts