Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 2019 Premium Crosstrek auto lock while driving. I could have sworn that it did but now I am confused. On a road trip and the doors are not auto locked once at speed. We have had to manually lock them. Is there something I am missing? Any help/insight would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Hello and welcome.

Unless they changed from the 18’, nope. It was a common observation for the first year of the Gen “2” models. Not surprised they didn’t change it.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,097 Posts
We have an '18 and a '19, both Limiteds and they don't auto lock. Neither did our Lexus or Honda. Mom-in-laws' old Ford Focus did, so maybe it's a U.S. thing?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wonder if the locking behavior can be reprogrammed via the OBD 2 port. I consider auto locking a safety measure that prevents the doors from opening in an accident.

On my Volvos the sensitivity of the seat heater settings can be adjusted via the OBD 2. So the lowest setting could be set to a warmer or cooler level.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,097 Posts
I wonder if the locking behavior can be reprogrammed via the OBD 2 port. I consider auto locking a safety measure that prevents the doors from opening in an accident.

On my Volvos the sensitivity of the seat heater settings can be adjusted via the OBD 2. So the lowest setting could be set to a warmer or cooler level.
There have been long debates about this here and on other forums. I don't believe there are any mechanical advantages to a door being locked in an accident. All it's doing is preventing the outside door handle from being used to actuate the latch, which could also delay a rescuer from helping you if, say, the car is on fire and they are trying to get you out.

The door locks can be set so that just the driver's door unlocks, or all doors, when opening the car. Ours is set to the former, as there have been cases around here of purses being snatched off a passenger seat while waiting at a stop light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't think of accident safety as the reason I want my doors to lock. It's more that I work in a very sketchy neighborhood and at lights people will be walking around my car. I've heard of multiple people who have had people try to open their doors. Definitely wish they auto locked.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Funny, I was just thinking a out this the other day. My 19 limited doesn’t auto lock. I was like, man, that’s a pretty standard feature these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
The doors don’t even unlock when pulling on the inside handle. Typically doors unlock on either the first or second pull. The Crosstrek’s unlocks on neither.

This is definitely a cost cutting measure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies everyone. At least I don’t think I am delusional anymore. My previous had auto locking once the car was up to speed and u locked when you pulled on the door handle. Will have to get into the habit of manually locking the doors.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The doors don’t even unlock when pulling on the inside handle. Typically doors unlock on either the first or second pull. The Crosstrek’s unlocks on neither.

This is definitely a cost cutting measure.
I’ve never had one that unlocks when you pull on the handle. Guess it depends on the brand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the 2019 Premium Crosstrek auto lock while driving. I could have sworn that it did but now I am confused. On a road trip and the doors are not auto locked once at speed. We have had to manually lock them. Is there something I am missing? Any help/insight would be appreciated
I’m looking for the setting for auto lock/unlock too. I just picked up the car four days ago and I know I came across the feature, but now I can’t locate it for the life of me. I hate to have to resort to the manual this early in the game. :-D

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I prefer not to have auto lock. Much safer to lock IMMEDIATELY and not wait.So if you are concerned about safety think about it. My wife does it automatically and not much of a challenge for her at the age of 73

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m looking for the setting for auto lock/unlock too. I just picked up the car four days ago and I know I came across the feature, but now I can’t locate it for the life of me. I hate to have to resort to the manual this early in the game. :-D

Found this video. May work for crosstrek, not sure.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I can't get the link to work.
do you have the sites name or their sites url?
thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Crosstrek 2018 and 2019 does not have automatic locking when you drive off the car! I have 2019 and my friend had 2018 both don't have this feature and can not be setup through the head unit. And Yes, outback, forester and ascent has that feature. Maybe some OBD software can hack it! But I don't found any yet!

I don't like it, since all my other cars has this feature and as a New Yorker this is a great safety feature when driving through not so good area! Now, I just need to member to lock it every time before I drive.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts