Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were a couple threads a while back from folks asking what accessories they would recommend when ordering their new CT. I have the Premium with 6-speed MT. I ordered my accessories separately instead of dealer install because it was cheaper. I installed an auto-dimming mirror (so I could wire in a dash camera using the little jumper connector). I wasn't sure if I needed an auto-dimming rearview mirror, but now I don't think I can do without it! If I had to order my car all over again, I would try to get the auto-dimming side view mirrors as well...not sure if that is possible with my 6-speed. I absolutely love the auto-dimming mirrors!!!

·
Registered
2019 DGM Crosstrek, 2014 TOP XV Crosstrek, 2002 Chevy Avalanche Victory Red
159 Posts
I did what you didn’t a year ago and ordered the outside and inside auto dimming mirrors. At my age I’m starting to lose my rods and cones, so glare is a big issue with me. These mirrors are totally worth it. Plus you get the “ramp” lights that shine down on the ground when exiting the car.....amazing light from a tiny LED. My dealer also threw in the standard mirrors in the back seat since I paid for them with the car.
I also have a ‘19 Premium 6 speed, and wanted better headlights, so I sprung for the Diode Dynamics SL-1 low beams and now night time driving is a cinch.

BTW, your avatar is my 2nd favorite Gary Larson comic. #1? Cat Fud.

Jake

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hello Jake

Did you get Them painted or they are black ?
Thks
Michel
You just get the glass part itself, the outer housing isn’t changed.

Jake

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is informative. I also have a 2018 6 speed (base) and was looking at the auto dimming side mirrors. I was concerned because the model that fits the 2018 (J201SFL300) is no longer available and the replacement (J201SFL301) appears to fit the 2019-20 but not necessarily the 2018. Same with the auto dimming rear mirror with compass and HomeLink- the 2018 model H501SSG303 as replaced with H501SSG304 for the 2019 and newer. Did the other forum members successfully use the updated accessory models in your 2018s? Thanks! Brian

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
864 Posts
I love the auto dimming mirror. But the exterior ones weren't available on the first gen car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Auto dimming (AKA 'electrochromic') mirrors are defo very useful for those who need protection from the idiots and fools behind us that don't dip their lights correctly, although look to be superseded by the EU-compliant auto-dip headlights that are now fitted to all vehicles here. They won't stay on full beam if there are any other lights on the road including (sometimes) your own headlights being reflected back from road signs.

I spent 5 years working for a co. that supplied door mirrors to Ford, Rover, Toyota, Nissan, Jaguar, etc. in the 1990s. We added electrochromic door mirrors first to the Jaguar XJ6 in about 1994. We bought the fully assembled glass from an Irish company and fitted it to our mirror assemblies before supplying the customer. It worked a treat!

Within a month we had a stroppy phone call from a chap at Jaguar in Coventry. 'What has your rubbish mirror done to my car?'

Someone had broken the mirror glass, allowing the electrochromic gel (proprietary content!) to leak out of the mirror, onto the paint of the car. This had, of course, removed the paint very quickly and easily!

Times have changed now (I've heard) but the intro of electrochromic always reminds me of this incident, and the (English words removed) 'telling off' we got from Jaguar's senior management :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 2019 with the auto dimming rear mirror. picked up a set of the side mirrors over the weekend. Installed them yesterday. I really like the illumination of the door and door area. Buuut. either my drivers mirror is a little distorted or its designed that way. It's almost as if there is a slight bulge in the mirror. Maybe to help with the night function which does work. the passenger side does not seem to have the seem functionality that the drivers side does though.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Forgot to add that the passenger side has no distortion.
Haven’t noticed a bulge or distortion. That being said there is a 1/8” “gap” totally around the outer edge of the perimeter. It will still surprise me when a car with HID’s overtakes me and shines in that gap. That’s the only glitch in an otherwise flawless installation.
Jake

1 - 14 of 14 Posts