Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Easy car to fall in love with and want to baby it at first. Love Xmode. My first real play around with AWD and Xmode was to Hassans Walls Lookout. Used Xmode coming back down the gravel road and it was the best fun even though the XV was really doing all the work. Didn't take photos of the descent sadly.
IMG_20191214_145543.jpg

IMG_20191214_150148_LI.jpg

·
Registered
144 Posts
Get back to us on what you think of the X mode. I personally look for excuses to use it. But generally I don't need to use it unless Im going on terrain thats I know a 2wd car cant handle it.

But Ive set mine up now to do more off road and its starting to look the part. In my opinion, it looks a bit more masculine now with the way Ive set it up. But the car in OEM format is still a good looking car. Just that I am trying to make it look a bit more rugged.

·
Registered
19MY XV 2.0i-S CVT Dark Grey
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well my regular fishing spot requires me to park on sand that can be quite soft especially after rain. With my previous car I had to park further away to keep my front wheels on the bitumen or at least the harder compacted dirt.
I'm hoping with Xmode I can get closer to the water, although I doubt I'll be going too far as it does get very deep and soft especially after the bigger 4x4s have been in there and dug it up. I've seen 4x4 Hiluxes struggle to get in/out of there, and it's only the guys with the lift kits that manage to get right down near the water. Its also amazing how many people I've seen stupidly drive onto soft sand in a FWD hatch back and completely burry themselves. Even after I've warned them not to do it!

·
Registered
144 Posts
With the factory road tyres, on sand you should be ok. The heavy 4x4's with big muddies will just dig out sand and end up more bogged than you ever will. A little light weight XV with HT tyres has a better chance of moving over sand. X mode helps with that by adding more power to wheels with more grip than others. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sounds very promising!
There is a big dip in the sand you can't see on the right hand side, and I think ground clearance might be a bit of an issue, but only one way to find out...

·
Registered
144 Posts
as long as you move and not stop half way through you should be ok. Not at speed, but also dont stop mid way either if the sand is deep and boggy either. Also consider deflating some tyre pressure to aid in more traction and a bigger tyre footprint if you are in doubt.

·
Registered
427 Posts
" ... what you think of the X mode. I personally look for excuses to use it. .

... the car in OEM format is still a good looking car. Just that I am trying to make it look a bit more rugged.
I've only had a chance to use it on some fairly steep, degraded bush tracks with loose rocks and big potholes so far. Most of the fire trails around here have remained gated and locked after the bushfires and with COVID restrictions. There's a track with a shallow water crossing at Newnes I only just managed to get across and back safely in and nearly burn't out the old CRV. Shortly after an Outback crossed and Significant Other said "See, a Subaru can do it." l'd love to go back in the XV and try again. We're hoping to explore The Gardens of Stone before it becomes a large mining quarry. :rolleyes:

SO wants to keep it OEM plus I have to use it for work and keep it pretty safe looking. Works for me. Looks all street but is a regular little hill climber. 🐨

·
Registered
144 Posts
nothing wrong with that. Sounds like it will suit your needs perfectly.

For me, I just wanted to make the appearance of the car look a bit more 'beefy' in its stance as well as improve its off road ability a bit more as I plan to do more off road stuff.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm in the same boat as @SubieSubieDo mine is definitely a daily commuter but I love that it's got the offroad capabilities for my weekend trips. I'd love to get into modifying it but I've been there and done that, got my quick car that I've thrown money into for when I want to go fast, the XV is definitely my new "grown up" toy. And with a little one on the way, it just means another safer car should it end up with a baby seat in it.

I actually found these last night that I'm looking at getting, they are slightly cheaper than the Genuine Subaru ones, and look like they are really good quality;

3D Rubber Moulded Floor Mats

·
Registered
144 Posts
Those mats look great. Get em! In fact if you think they look and fit well I will get a set for myself. I have some cheap generic rubber mats now and they move and do not fit well. Slide around and really are a pain. So I would be interested to see how you go with them.

As for daily commuting, that's fine mate. You gotta do whats best for you. I have been in the mod scene also. But I have found this car has the least amount of mods on a car Ive owned by far so Im already out in front. Plus I plan to keep this car long term (unless there is a more high powered option out there that tickles the fancy). So the mods are what I would consider quite practical for the use intended.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Those mats look great. Get em! In fact if you think they look and fit well I will get a set for myself. I have some cheap generic rubber mats now and they move and do not fit well. Slide around and really are a pain. So I would be interested to see how you go with them.

As for daily commuting, that's fine mate. You gotta do whats best for you. I have been in the mod scene also. But I have found this car has the least amount of mods on a car Ive owned by far so Im already out in front. Plus I plan to keep this car long term (unless there is a more high powered option out there that tickles the fancy). So the mods are what I would consider quite practical for the use intended.
Yeah I thought they looked really great, especially seeing as they have the section for the hump in the floor at the back. I'm hoping I can run these during Summer when I tend to trek mud through the car, easily hosed off and low maintenance. Then I can always go back to the carpet mats in winter or even during the week.

As for the mods, I've only had the car for 2 weeks so anything could happen...😂

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah I thought they looked really great, especially seeing as they have the section for the hump in the floor at the back. I'm hoping I can run these during Summer when I tend to trek mud through the car, easily hosed off and low maintenance. Then I can always go back to the carpet mats in winter or even during the week.

As for the mods, I've only had the car for 2 weeks so anything could happen...😂
Ive always said to myself "im keeping this stock" and I never do. Im terrible and keeping anything original. Unless its like a classic old car, then basically I have to put my flavor on the car itself or I get annoyed. :LOL:

Yes, please let me know how you go with those mats. The protection over the rear hump in the floor is something I've been looking for. So your honest review will determine if they are worth buying or not. (y)

Also, when you do venture off road, be sure to post the obligatory photo so we can see how much fun you're having :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Couldn’t help myself and got a second set of seats from a wrecker today. Came out of a low KM 19MY. In better condition than mine, so the plan is to keep them in storage until my set get really ratty and then I can swap them out. Bit of peace of mind knowing I have a set of seats in good nick for down the track.
That’s my OCD kicking in for yah...haha

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,501 Posts
How much is the storage costing? I have some stuff in storage that I keep telling myself I need to clear out. I'm sure those IKEA barstools are worth a fortune now... 😸

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Storage is costing nothing, heaps of room at my mums place, it’s where the project car lives so two seats aren’t going to cause any issues.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Couldn’t help myself and got a second set of seats from a wrecker today. Came out of a low KM 19MY. In better condition than mine, so the plan is to keep them in storage until my set get really ratty and then I can swap them out. Bit of peace of mind knowing I have a set of seats in good nick for down the track.
That’s my OCD kicking in for yah...haha
Smart move. I like it!
I can relate re OCD. Mine are getting a bit squeaky now. 🐨

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Smart move. I like it!
I can relate re OCD. Mine are getting a bit squeaky now. 🐨
Mine are actually really good when I look at them now, Just paranoia as I know it’ll only be harder to get a new set as time goes on. Worst case I can just use the trims and swap them onto my seats.
I was just worried about the leather wearing through and eventually tearing, not sure if that’s a common problem or has ever happened to anyone?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I was just worried about the leather wearing through and eventually tearing, not sure if that’s a common problem or has ever happened to anyone?
Only mentions I've seen on this forum were 2 or so (?) people had an issue with the foam/wire base/seat structure and if I recall correctly, fixed by the dealer. I think the wire base one may've been cloth and not leather too. They seemed to be unusual/exceptions so I didn't really pay all that much attention. I'm still happy despite a little mousey squeak here and there. 🐨

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Yeah, I think I'm just being completely paranoid, I'll just let the seats do their thing and age without worrying, I can deal with a little squeaking.

Also, I meant to ask, did we ever get SI Drive in the Aussie delivered XVs? I saw a US review and they went through the SI Drive settings on the dash.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts