Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
19MY XV 2.0i-S CVT Dark Grey
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up my dark grey 19MY XV, got a demo model with all the fruit and the added bonus of genuine carpet mats and weather shields.

Was looking at getting a second hand 1st gen but couldn’t turn down the deal I got on the top of the range current model.

Drove it home today and do not regret a thing, I absolutely love it!

My plans are to get some roof racks to carry my Hobie kayak, all weather mats and cargo liner to collect all the sand.

Looking forward to learning and adding whatever I can to the forums.

·
Registered
2020 Pure Red Crosstrek 6-spd, 2019 DGM Crosstrek 6-spd
219 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice looking trek.
Enjoy it!

Jake

·
Registered
643 Posts
Welcome VIN18M, excellent color choice I might add! I'm thinking about buying a Hobie PA12 360 and was wondering how people car top these things as they weigh something like 130 lbs (60kg). I'm no spring chicken anymore, so just throwing the thing up on the roof doesn't work anymore! I've seen a couple of YT vids of people with different contraptions for assisting, was wondering how you do it.

artosa

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually got myself a Hobie Sport for the exact reasons you mention, it seems to be the easiest model to car top on my own (which I often do in the dark at 4am). It has all the creature comforts of the Outback, but just a more compact size. I love mine and use it to fish for Australian Bass in small creeks so it’s perfect.
The other alternative is to get yourself a Thule roof loader which makes life even easier and will help for larger models like the PAs etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome VIN18M, excellent color choice I might add! I'm thinking about buying a Hobie PA12 360 and was wondering how people car top these things as they weigh something like 130 lbs (60kg). I'm no spring chicken anymore, so just throwing the thing up on the roof doesn't work anymore! I've seen a couple of YT vids of people with different contraptions for assisting, was wondering how you do it.

artosa
I actually got myself a Hobie Sport for the exact reasons you mention, it seems to be the easiest model to car top on my own (which I often do in the dark at 4am). It has all the creature comforts of the Outback, but just a more compact size. I love mine and use it to fish for Australian Bass in small creeks so it’s perfect.
The other alternative is to get yourself a Thule roof loader which makes life even easier and will help for larger models like the PAs etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is. Lots of places to explore in the XV. It's a great Forum - great people. There's even an Aussie moderator! 🐨

The forum has already been so helpful, its amazing how much content there is on here just by using the search function!

Not having much luck finding suitable roof racks at this stage, lots of US brand references on here, I’m thinking I might just go the Subaru dealer fitted option

·
Registered
413 Posts
Not having much luck finding suitable roof racks at this stage, lots of US brand references on here, I’m thinking I might just go the Subaru dealer fitted option
@SBXVaus got a set of Whispbars locally and was pretty happy with them. Applies to All Model Years - What did you do to your...
I have my eye on a pair like this but I've been banned from buying anymore accessories for now 🙄🐨
Whispbar Roof Racks - Subaru XV 5 Door SUV 06/2017 - 12/2019 (S54W) | eBay

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@SBXVaus got a set of Whispbars locally and was pretty happy with them. Applies to All Model Years - What did you do to your...
I have my eye on a pair like this but I've been banned from buying anymore accessories for now 🙄🐨
Whispbar Roof Racks - Subaru XV 5 Door SUV 06/2017 - 12/2019 (S54W) | eBay
I was looking at that exact set! Was just worried about how well they clear the shark fin, especially with a kayak on them. Also any issues with clearing the sunroof?
They do look great though, and definitely a better profile than the genuine Subu models.

·
Registered
413 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
They clear the sun roof no issues. The sunroof doesn't tilt up as high as you think. As for the shark fin, the racks cannot physically go back that far to interfere with the fin when the racks are mounted, so there is no issue there. I tried fitting the racks that far back and with the roof pod on top, it looked weird, so I reset the racks more forward and it made the pod look more flat looking from the side on.

There is very little to no wind noise from the whispbars either. Im quite impressed with the look of them and I reckon they look discreet enough if that is the appearance you are looking for.

If you plan on fitting a side awning though, you may want to reconsider your choice. I plan to fit one and due to the design of the racks, I reckon I will have to fit a rack platform on top and then fit a side awning to that platform. It's due to the feet mounts of the racks. Because they are the same level as the bars themselves and not elevated like other racks, it means you have to find another way for the side awning mounts to clear the roof rack mounts, if that makes sense.

EDIT: I just spotted this adapter kit for whispbars or similar to fit a side awning. Pro Rack 4x4 Awning Attachment Kit

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I love the look of the Whispbars but I just think when it comes to loading a kayak I’ll need something that sits a little more proud of the roof rails. Also, having some overhang from the rails means I can lean the kayak up on the rails fairly easily before sliding it into the middle of the roof.
I think I’ve decided on the Thule Evo Wingbar, they are sleek enough, quite low profile, low wind noise but also practical enough for what I need. They also have a 100kg load rating so on the occasion when I load two kayaks I know I’m well within the load rating.

On a side note, has anyone with leather interior noticed that the side bolstering on the upper and lower sections of the seat seems to wear a little faster than the rest of the seats? I assume it’s just from getting in and out and crushing that section of the seat in the process. My leather is slightly softer and a little more wrinkled in those sections. It is a Demo so I couldn’t expect it to be perfect.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think I’ve decided on the Thule Evo Wingbar.

On a side note, has anyone with leather interior noticed that the side bolstering on the upper and lower sections of the seat seems to wear a little faster than the rest of the seats? I assume it’s just from getting in and out and crushing that section of the seat in the process. My leather is slightly softer and a little more wrinkled in those sections. It is a Demo so I couldn’t expect it to be perfect.
Good find re the wingbar (y)
Re the leather seats ... yes ... yes ... and ...yes.
I'm philosophical about it. After all, leather is organic and it's a characteristic. It could be argued the base structure or foam should be firmer, denser or whatever. Personally I like that the seat isn't too firm and is more comfortable for the longer drives, particularly since I found my sweet spot with the electronic adjustment for the driver's seat. 🐨

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good find re the wingbar (y)
Re the leather seats ... yes ... yes ... and ...yes.
I'm philosophical about it. After all, leather is organic and it's a characteristic. It could be argued the base structure or foam should be firmer, denser or whatever. Personally I like that the seat isn't too firm and is more comfortable for the longer drives, particularly since I found my sweet spot with the electronic adjustment for the driver's seat. 🐨
Haha thanks mate, so it’s normal and I’m not the only one? If so, you’ve made me feel a lot better about it! Thank god for the local support on here hey!?

Other than that, I’ve learned very quickly why everyone who drives an XV raves about these things and why I still cannot find a negative review online. I love getting in and driving it, the tech is intuitive, love how ergonomic everything is and love the exterior styling, I’m probably just starting to show my age! Ijust need to get it off-road now and really start having some fun!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good choice on the wingbar mate. They are a good unit and yes will suit your needs perfectly.

I bought mine as an ex demo also and noticed the seats weren't perfect but for me, I wasn't that worried. I take my dogs in my car, take it camping, off road, on tracks, in mud, rain, grass, sand, everywhere. But I do agree they are great on a long road trip. Been doing some 4-5hr road trips a fair bit over the past 2yrs of ownership and I actually love sitting in the car. My only gripe is the head rest angles. I think they could have been design to sit more on the same plane as the back portion of the seat. So positioning the angle of the back part of the seat is important otherwise you could strain your neck forward unnecessarily.

Agree with the car being intuitive. That said, sometimes I think it can be a bit too intrusive for my liking. the lane departure warning chime gets on my nerves a bit after a while when you aren't actually out your lane. So I wish it were less intuitive in that respect.

Wait till you start tackling some more off road areas. You'll really start to smile then. The car in X mode shines through when you tackle slippery and steep surfaces. Even on the beach its good fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I think I’m just being fussy now, as I said in my first post my original plan was to buy a second hand first gen manual as an everyday driver and something I could take fishing and beat around on the sand a bit. Now that I’ve got an S, I’m starting to wimp out a bit and feel bad about not keeping it pristine. But hey, they’ve gotta be used for what they were built for right?
I haven’t had much of an issue with the comfort of the seats as I haven’t spent more than half an hour in the car at a time just yet but will get back to you on that.

I do agree with you on the lane departure warning, it can be really sensitive at times especially when there are some extra lines on the road. It’s kind of like driving with a really nervous passenger telling you to watch out. But with that being said, all of the other features of the Eyesight tech are great.
I’ve found the infotainment and menus all excellent, very easy to navigate, especially in comparison to my wife’s new Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross.

In a few months when the weather warms up and my phobia of getting it dirty is gone, I’ll be testing out that Xmode for sure!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts