Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

Audio upgrade in 2020

Model Years 2018 to 2023 
12K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  AstroKats 
#1 ·
I have some questions about upgrading my stereo. First of all I have a limited with the big screen and no HK. I have read up here and understand you can do the RF upgrade. However I think I want to go a different route and was going to go shopping at Crutchfield. I have the write up and a video on door panel removal. Also from a different thread I have the removal process from I think a 17 radio head unit (RK upgrade instructions). Lastly I want to change all 6 speakers and add an amp but not going to add a sub.

1. are there harnesses made to simply plug and play to run the amp from the head unit to under the passenger seat or does this take a custom job because I am not doing the RF upgrade? Also (sorry not a car stereo expert) I assume then I also need to rerun all the speaker wire to the amp as they are currently running to the HU or does that harness do that? If so also does someone have an amp suggestion that will fit and does what I need?
2. from my research it appears I can do a nice 6x9 in the front doors to get a little bass since not doing a sub, true?
3. I also know I need those heat/ac ducts extenders, anyone know the part number For a 20?
4. Lastly based on all this any recommendation for the six speakers that won’t break the bank AND will be an easy replacement?

Thanks for the help. If I move forward I will do my best to capture the entire process.

See less See more
#2 ·
The 17 radio does not remove in the same way but it’s stupid easy. Check my signature block for great resources. Good call, staying away from the OEM upgrades. They’re overpriced and disappointing.

1. Custom job but instead of cutting wires, you can buy a harness that clips in behind the radio so you don’t have to cut factory wiring. Install a Subwoofer or Amplifier in your Subaru - No need to Cut OEM Wiring!

Yes, all the speaker wires must behind the radio.

Amp suggestion (and I out signal type) will spawn from what speakers you want and if you intend on adding a sub at any time.

2. True and not true at the same time. 6X9s are mid range speakers. You’ll get better bass but not good bass.

3. part # 72512AG000 About $11 US each, you need two.

4. They’ll all be easy replacement (I have a door speaker DIY in the appropriate section) the dash just pops up using a trim removal piece but you’ll have to cut off the existing connector to install standard speaker connectors. I can’t recommend because I went for bank breakers up front.

#3 ·
@Doca Thanks for all the help and your thread is the one I got much of my info and how-to's.

So to be clear I will need to run all the new speaker wire from the speakers to the amp under the seat OR I will be able to use the current wire that has them all running to the back of the radio? Or neither I can use the current speaker wire I just need to run speaker wire from the back of the HU to the amp (meaning I do not have to run all new wire only new wire from HU to amp ).

What harnesses will I need and does Crutchfield have them? I also saw in your posts I think some connector to connect new speakers to the factory connectors.

Sounds like you recommend against the 6x9. For not breaking the bank what would you recommend for speakers and amp, no sub to be added.

What is "bank breakers" sorry I don't know?

#4 ·
@Doca What is "bank breakers" sorry I don't know?
Ref your OP, #4: “recommendation for the six speakers that won’t break the bank”; my front component speakers cost $550.

Not quite: to answer it properly, we need to know if the amplifier you’ll be getting accepts high level inputs (speaker wire from the radio to the amp inputs) or low level inputs (RCA plugs).

some amplifiers offer both input types:

1. High level: cut the speaker wires behind the radio and run new wires from the radio output to the amplifier input. Run new speaker wires from the amplifier output to the speaker wire side behind the radio .

2. Low level: cut the speaker wires behind the radio and connect the radio output side to a “line out converter”. This converts the audio signal to a low voltage which helps prevent noise from effecting the playback quality. Run RCA cables from the converter to the amplifier input. Run new speaker wires back behind the radio and connect to the speaker wire side.

You can either cut the wires and run your own or you can use a breakout harness, like the one in the link from my first reply. The breakout harness will preserve your OEM wiring. I don’t know if Crutchfield has them but if you order speakers from them, they’ll include the OEM connector to standard speaker connector adapters. There is no adapter for the dash speakers so you’ll have to be prepared to do a little work in a tight space.

You’ll also have to get power from the battery to the amplifier and possibly a remote power wire run from behind the radio using one of the radio’s accessory power lines. DO NOT use the ground behind the radio for your amplifier. Under the seat you’ll find a threaded stud. Ground your amp there.

Theres nothing wrong with 6X9’s but they won’t give you a punch or rumble bass. Very few speakers of that type will. There’re just not designed for it.

I’ll have to poke around to name specific products but here’s what I suggest to start looking for:

1. The best 6.5” or 6X9 front door speakers you can get; think component speakers and you can install the tweeter in the dash.
2. failing component speakers, look at a good quality 3.5” mid range for the dash
3. rear door 6.5” (won’t hold 6X9s). They don’t need to be great because they’re basically rear filler. I went with JL C2’s
4. amplifier: 4 channel that can run at either 4 or 2 ohm per channel. Be mindful of how much power per channel the amp can provide. You don’t want to damage your speakers.
5. if a low input is used, get a 4 channel line out converter.

once you have the hardware figured out, we can help with the bits and bobs Of installation.

#5 ·
NEWBIE here with a 2020 premium. I would like to know what my options are to upgrade my 6.5 in system to a 8 in (no navi). I've read several places where people have issues with the volume, and others may have figured things out. I've got the 6 spark system already. not interested in cutting wires!

I assume the Impreza and Crosstrek share the same infotainment system, correct?

Anyone who's gone from 6.5 to 8, is the difference worth the price?I'd love to have more space for CarPlay specifically.

#6 ·
The '17 and '18 Imprezas and the '18 Crosstrek have the same HU. From '19 on there was s a new gen HU in the Impreza and Crosstrek (3.1 vs 3.0) but the changes were minimal, especially for the 8" units. For a '20, you could probably use an 8" all the way back to a '17 Impreza and be OK, although there may be some harness differences if you were going with an older HU.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.