Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Administrator
Testing Vehicle Information
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hey all!

Best thing to do is Sign out of your account. Clear the login info and click "login". Once at that page, click on the forgot password area.

If that is not working for you, check your spam/junk folder, and see if it’s there.

if it’s not there, go to the bottom of the page, and click on the contact us area. This will direct you to the mainline to our manual password reset area. In the subject line write "password reset" and put in the info of your account name, email on the account, and email it needs to be changed to if need be. Someone will be in touch with you shortly about it. one of us will come back and manually reset the password for you.

Ill answer the PM's now and get those sorted, the rest should follow instructions above. its quicker :)

that should sort it out. let us know if you need anything else.

~Shane

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Gosh, these XV owners have to me Generation X.

Slash/File/Erase

p.s. I was only down about... a couple days ...but it was most obviously the "surprised" forced redo that crippled the site.

Maybe

·
Registered
637 Posts
Richard, Shane, Tiffany, any else that helped...thank you all very much. I'm back after what seems like forever. :rock:
Jim

·
Registered
919 Posts
I didn't find the email for the password reset.

So instead I clicked the link for forgetting one's password. Obviously, I'm logged on now and can post now.

One member recovered via "forgot password" password reset method.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Still kind of hoping to get some help recovering my original account 91Yota. I never got an email and using the "Forgot Password" link hasn't worked as that email doesn't come in either :/

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
Still kind of hoping to get some help recovering my original account 91Yota. I never got an email and using the "Forgot Password" link hasn't worked as that email doesn't come in either :/
There's a good chance that the e-mail you registered under is not the current one you are using (or something is considering it SPAM).

You can either send the administrator or one of the moderators (we will be forwarding it to the administrators) the following:

1. Original user name
2. New user name
3. email address that you originally created your login with
4. email address that you are currently using.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Managed to get back in today after being unable to get past a few roadblocks when the reset happened.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey there,

We have posted to the sites letting users know how to go about changing their passwords. There are a few things that may have happened:
1) the email address wasn’t the current one you use
2) the email is getting blocked by spam or ending up in your junk folder.

If you have not received the password reset email, go to the site and use the password reset tool in the log in window. If this still is not working for you, please go to the contact us page at the bottom right hand corner of the screen and select the “other” field and insert the subject “password reset issue” .

sorry for the trouble. we are sorting out all the issues as they come in. thanks all!

~Shane
There's a good chance that the e-mail you registered under is not the current one you are using (or something is considering it SPAM).

You can either send the administrator or one of the moderators (we will be forwarding it to the administrators) the following:

1. Original user name
2. New user name
3. email address that you originally created your login with
4. email address that you are currently using.
I'm sorry to inform you that whatever prevented a large number of emails from reaching their recipients had nothing to do with the receiving end. I don't use a spam service and based on how poorly executed the rest of this endeavor was I'd wager that you guys went and got yourselves throttled by trying to email thousands upon thousands of users simultaneously or the like.

Also, 2002 called and it wants its secure passwords back. 10 character random passwords aren't considered a whole lot more secure than 'fluffy' these days due to the processing power of modern computers. Length is king, if you really want to make things secure start with updating to the latest versions of vBulletin and then set mandatory ~16 character minimums on password length on top of requiring mixed case, numerals, and symbols (any 3 should suffice). If you insist on setting a maximum password length something like 64 would be reasonable for providing a good balance of security and data compactness for your database.

Either way, poor show.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I never got an email either:embarrassed:
I couldn't understand why I couldn't log on with many attempts on different devices until I was locked out. Gave up and came back a few days later to spend the time to fix it. Almost gave up.
I also hate the new Autoguide App update a few months ago. I find it hard to use and navigate through posts on threads.
I also was asked recently whether I'd be interested in going on a short list for a moderator here. I said yes, then told later that they didn't want any more Australian mods at this stage because it didn't reflect the majority of members. Nothing like building me up then dropping me like a hot potato! You knew I was Australian! Lol
I've really lost the urge to follow the forum after 4 years of enthusiasm.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
^^ Simply for those that don't know, the Australians are the origins of this forum. BNA (Before North Americans), I poured over feedback offered by the Aussie's who clearly were ahead of the game having had the XV a year before everyone else (the chosen ones). Moderators should not be deemed necessary by country alone, the different time zones are beneficial for reviewing all of the forums and recent posts when other Mods are sometimes offline, and then there's having an extra set of eyes when some of the Moderators activities trail off or are non-existent for various reasons like work.

Many of the early Moderators here had no experience as forum leaders but they have since learned the trade well. The recent batch of Mods I don't know if they've any experience as Mods but the "Moderators Lounge" is the place where things get discussed and I think the next order of business there should be to induct Sandi in as a Moderator. I for one think she'd be a good fit. I also thought in the beginnings of this forum she should be one, that also included Deb as well. The Mod panel may use different criteria than I'm used to seeing, but defining by country should not be set in stone.

I've done my antagonistic duty for today.

Cheers
Doug

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
I'm sorry to inform you that whatever prevented a large number of emails from reaching their recipients had nothing to do with the receiving end. I don't use a spam service and based on how poorly executed the rest of this endeavor was I'd wager that you guys went and got yourselves throttled by trying to email thousands upon thousands of users simultaneously or the like.
As members and moderators, we don't have access to any additional information of why some users didn't receive their e-mails. I do know that of the users I've helped to get their accounts reset, many of them initially registered under an e-mail address that they either no longer use or have forgotten about. As for throttling, that's possible but so is being misdirected by a spam service as there were so many e-mails sent to thousands and thousands of users. After all, many spam services work on detecting a large flow of e-mails from a small number of sources in a short period of time as well.

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
^^ Simply for those that don't know, the Australians are the origins of this forum. BNA (Before North Americans), I poured over feedback offered by the Aussie's who clearly were ahead of the game having had the XV a year before everyone else (the chosen ones). Moderators should not be deemed necessary by country alone, the different time zones are beneficial for reviewing all of the forums and recent posts when other Mods are sometimes offline, and then there's having an extra set of eyes when some of the Moderators activities trail off or are non-existent for various reasons like work.

Many of the early Moderators here had no experience as forum leaders but they have since learned the trade well. The recent batch of Mods I don't know if they've any experience as Mods but the "Moderators Lounge" is the place where things get discussed and I think the next order of business there should be to induct Sandi in as a Moderator. I for one think she'd be a good fit. I also thought in the beginnings of this forum she should be one, that also included Deb as well. The Mod panel may use different criteria than I'm used to seeing, but defining by country should not be set in stone.

I've done my antagonistic duty for today.

Cheers
Doug
I never got an email either:embarrassed:
I couldn't understand why I couldn't log on with many attempts on different devices until I was locked out. Gave up and came back a few days later to spend the time to fix it. Almost gave up.
I also hate the new Autoguide App update a few months ago. I find it hard to use and navigate through posts on threads.
I also was asked recently whether I'd be interested in going on a short list for a moderator here. I said yes, then told later that they didn't want any more Australian mods at this stage because it didn't reflect the majority of members. Nothing like building me up then dropping me like a hot potato! You knew I was Australian! Lol
I've really lost the urge to follow the forum after 4 years of enthusiasm.
Hi Sandi/Doug,

This thread is about password and account resets (or issues with them) and we need to keep it on topic as there still seems to be some ongoing issues with the process for members.

As for moderators and moderator selection, I'll be happy to discuss the topic with both of you either together or separately via PMs - as you know 'my door' is always open - just let me know your preference.

Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
15 Posts
So is there any mod or admin that can help me get my original account back? I know there is a lack of, or zero admins, on this page but has that changed? I had the same issue on SubaruForester.org and an Admin was able to take care of it within minutes and apparently I was only one of many there too. And the email address I use is still in use/up to date.

·
Premium Member
8,374 Posts
So is there any mod or admin that can help me get my original account back? I know there is a lack of, or zero admins, on this page but has that changed? I had the same issue on SubaruForester.org and an Admin was able to take care of it within minutes and apparently I was only one of many there too. And the email address I use is still in use/up to date.
Please see my post (#49) earlier in this thread - http://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/site-news/102465-attention-password-security-update-5.html. Still waiting for the information from you :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
The steps are as follows:

1. See you are logged out.
2. Uh oh, password doesn't work.
3. Click forgot password.
4. Create your new password.
5. Woohoo!
Doing it that way, and also using the missing part about using your email to get sent a temp password of course, was the only way to get back in here because my spam filter must have caught the original warning and I never saw it. I tried the "contact us" method, twice, but they never replied. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
192 Posts
As members and moderators, we don't have access to any additional information of why some users didn't receive their e-mails. I do know that of the users I've helped to get their accounts reset, many of them initially registered under an e-mail address that they either no longer use or have forgotten about. As for throttling, that's possible but so is being misdirected by a spam service as there were so many e-mails sent to thousands and thousands of users. After all, many spam services work on detecting a large flow of e-mails from a small number of sources in a short period of time as well.
You were quoted as a courtesy to inform you that the excuses provided by 'administrator' (who had darned well better be a staff member or things are even worse screwed up than I thought) weren't a one-size-fits-all solution.

In my case there was zero chance of a spam filter being an issue which is what I was communicating in that post. What you're referring to with the spam services is what I was referring to when I said throttling, you'll find ISPs do it as well. With that said, I would more than expect a company like the one that runs this board to be using an SMTP service like Mandrill to send their outgoing emails which eliminates this as a factor being a whitelisted service. Since I didn't get an email about this until literally today I can only infer that they didn't have such a service in place and managed to get themselves flagged or in some other way managed to drop the ball.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts