Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Administrator
Testing Vehicle Information
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

·
Administrator
Testing Vehicle Information
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for watching out for us all here. I have to admit, my old password was muffy, but under consideration, went back to 12345.

J/K. Thanks again for this great site.
*Insert SpaceBalls reference*

The system will automatically force change your password, and the password change will give you a new criteria. You can change them now, however, you will be made to change them again in the coming days.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Thanks,
- JB

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did not get any emails but I did randomly get one from ToyotaNation where i'd registered years ago, because they're part of the same site network, and then I realized you guys might have reset passwords too.

FYI - without any advanced notification there is no way to know why you can't log in. it doesn't say "your password is expired" or "please reset your password", it just says its wrong and you can't log in.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek
1,144 Posts
I just spent the entire day trying to log on.. I was logged off and I forgot my old password so I used my five attempts then realized it was the password change. Then the forum wouldn't accept the temporary password until my tenth try. Whew.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
That would explain why I couldn't log in at all today. After a long vacation away from Internet, this was a bit of a surprised. Thought I got kicked out of the forum for being too silly:icon_lol:.

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
I'm Closed Case. Never got the Pony Express. So opted for the sword.

Closed Case is Dead.
RIP Closed Case, welcome ClosedDeck.
Sad you had to go through so much trouble....

This password thing has been a pain! I couldn't get the forums to work on the autoguide app yesterday, eventually figured out it was a password problem. It took a while for the system to let me create a new one, which then worked successfully for the whole day.
And then again this morning I had the same problem with my new password no longer being accepted and apparently using up all my attempts to log in and having to wait to once again to use 'forgot my password' to create another one.
I'm a mod and I need to get it, but honestly if I was just a casual member who only popped in every now and then I might have just put it in the 'too hard basket' and told the site to stuff it.
I wonder how many members we will lose because of this?

·
Super Moderator
2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek
1,144 Posts
The steps are as follows:

1. See you are logged out.
2. Uh oh, password doesn't work.
3. Click forgot password.
4. Create your new password.
5. Woohoo!

·
Premium Member
3,562 Posts
The steps are as follows:

1. See you are logged out.
2. Uh oh, password doesn't work.
3. Click forgot password.
4. Create your new password.
5. Woohoo!
Lol, ah see you now you just make it sound easy:)
I had some steps that involved 'this IS my password, you !$&@$!'

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
4,045 Posts
Yeah, the numbers of registered users here today have been near record lows ... and that really says something about the problems with the process, since Crosstrek people are widely known to be the most intelligent of all car owners. :grin:

The site owners could have definitely handled this better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I believe that it requires alcohol to make easier. One beer and I was resetting my password and here I am.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just changed my password yesterday after reading about the forum being hacked. Today I try to access the forum with my new password and after five tries I'm locked out for 15 minutes. I was finally able to get a new password sent to me (forgot password link).

·
Administrator
4,045 Posts
Really, the only thing you be sure to do here is to use a password that you don't also use anywhere else. There's nothing for anyone to gain by trying to impersonate you on a car forum site -- the only possible motivation for someone stealing a password from a place like this would be the (extremely slim) chance that they could find an e-commerce site that could be accessed by that same password. So if you use different passwords on different sites, there's very little to worry about.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Really, the only thing you be sure to do here is to use a password that you don't also use anywhere else. There's nothing for anyone to gain by trying to impersonate you on a car forum site -- the only possible motivation for someone stealing a password from a place like this would be the (extremely slim) chance that they could find an e-commerce site that could be accessed by that same password. So if you use different passwords on different sites, there's very little to worry about.
Your right you should use different passwords but some people don't. I always do. I guess it's a risk we all take surfing and having fun on the web. :)

From the ZDnet article
Hacker steals 45 million accounts from hundreds of car, tech, sports forums | ZDNet

·
Administrator
4,045 Posts
It's definitely important to be careful online, certainly ... but it's also important not to get unduly freaked out. If you've been on the Internet for a few years, for example, it's honestly pretty much guaranteed that somewhere along the line multiple hackers have already hit multiple databases that have your e-mail or some other tidbit of your information in it. There are many, many billions of pieces of data out there for which this has happened ... and that fact actually gives us a weird bit of security because with all that data out there, why would anyone bother to play with the one particular piece of data that happens to belong to you?

IP addresses are the same way ... your IP address follows you to every single site you visit, and can be recorded by that site ... so with the zillions of IP addresses being recorded every single day, why pick yours? Most modern OS software doesn't keep computer ports open waiting for random, remote people to access via an IP address, and for many users their specific IP address often isn't constant anyway, because of dynamic routers. Hackers will go after an IP-based vulnerability in a large corporate server, but it's not something that you as an individual user need to worry about unless there's also malicious software from another source on your computer.

tl;dr ... come up with a new and unique password for the site, use it, and don't worry. :)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts