Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
170 Posts
If one of the statements being suggested here is: "New Model cars tend to be recalled more than cars that have been in production for a longer period of time." Then I would agree with that statement statistically. The statement, in my mind, is speaking to the production of a car that is substantially different from a previous model being released to customers for the first time. I'm don't believe that the 2018 Subaru Crosstrek is substantially different from the global platform introduced earlier by Subaru in the 2017 Subaru Impreza. Having said that the new Global Platform is a substantial redesign and the 2017 Subaru Impreza had 5 recalls- recall info from NHTSA. The 2016 (last of the 3rd Generation of cars built between 2011 and 2016- from Wikipedia) Subaru Impreza had 1 recall. In my mind this supports the new model/higher recall idea with the (2017) being more likely to be recalled than the previous model (2016).

I'm not sure how to measure reliability though. If the failures that require recalls are part of the reliability question then I assume reliability of new models is worse than models near the end of their production. I'd prefer to go with Consumer Reports although some of you Subaru Brainiacs probably have better sources. Using this metric then Subarus and other cars considered generally "reliable" might produce a "reliable" car that is a brand new model...even though it has more recalls. I'm in Arizona (just came back from going down 1400 feet into the Bisbee Queen Copper Mine) and don't have my CR report on reliability.

Fascinating. In my minds eye I think of reliability as a subjective feeling I have when one of my kids wants to borrow the car and drive across the country. If I think it is completely reliable if they want to borrow it and I would say yes, so my Crosstrek is fair game to mooching grown up children. If it was my ancient 1968 Fiat 128 I'd say no way because I would consider it highly probable that it would break down/burn up/collapse/ corrode/rust/explode completely away on a long trip. I consider my Crosstrek reliable for the 18,000 miles I have driven it. It hasn't failed...and yet I've taken it in twice for recalls, so maybe it all depends on the differences between the words "recall" and "reliable."

Sorry, stuck in a motel and there's nothing to do at the moment.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,311 Posts
I just took my 2018 Limited in for it's 16,000 oil change (yes, low miles and #3 of 4 included services) and had all three recalls done..... Ignition coil, pvc valve and brake hose. I really like the car so the recalls don't bother me.
We did the same thing, too, just before the end of the two years even though it's low miles.Thought we were getting all of the recalls done but the next day someone posted here about the brake hoses. Where did you get it done where they had the hoses in stock?

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
If one of the statements being suggested here is: "New Model cars tend to be recalled more than cars that have been in production for a longer period of time." Then I would agree with that statement statistically. The statement, in my mind, is speaking to the production of a car that is substantially different from a previous model being released to customers for the first time. I'm don't believe that the 2018 Subaru Crosstrek is substantially different from the global platform introduced earlier by Subaru in the 2017 Subaru Impreza. Having said that the new Global Platform is a substantial redesign and the 2017 Subaru Impreza had 5 recalls- recall info from NHTSA. The 2016 (last of the 3rd Generation of cars built between 2011 and 2016- from Wikipedia) Subaru Impreza had 1 recall. In my mind this supports the new model/higher recall idea with the (2017) being more likely to be recalled than the previous model (2016).

I'm not sure how to measure reliability though. If the failures that require recalls are part of the reliability question then I assume reliability of new models is worse than models near the end of their production. I'd prefer to go with Consumer Reports although some of you Subaru Brainiacs probably have better sources. Using this metric then Subarus and other cars considered generally "reliable" might produce a "reliable" car that is a brand new model...even though it has more recalls. I'm in Arizona (just came back from going down 1400 feet into the Bisbee Queen Copper Mine) and don't have my CR report on reliability.
Agreed on all accounts. We have online CR and they actually rate the '18 Crosstrek as much more reliable overall than the '17:

It could have been even better for the new gen but no prizes for guessing what dragged it down:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Where did you get it done where they had the hoses in stock?
I just had mine done in Bremerton, WA. I brought it in to have all 4 recalls done. Though I had already done the head unit update, it still shows in the records so they insist on checking it. I assume the local dealer gets paid by Subaru so they have incentive to do some work rather then just check it off as having been done in their system. Anyway, I bought it in and it took the better part of a day to get everything done. I picked up the car and all four recalls had been fixed so I didn't think much about it until I got home and looked at the invoice in detail. The head unit recall was on the invoice twice and they hadn't done the PCV valve replacement. They were quite apologetic after I pointed that out, but I did have to take the car in again. All four recalls are now officially fixed for my '18 Limited.

Now we'll see if there is another recall. I did have a cracked strut that was replaced under warranty so there could be a suspension issue that needs fixing.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I just had mine done in Bremerton, WA. I brought it in to have all 4 recalls done. Though I had already done the head unit update, it still shows in the records so they insist on checking it. I assume the local dealer gets paid by Subaru so they have incentive to do some work rather then just check it off as having been done in their system. Anyway, I bought it in and it took the better part of a day to get everything done. I picked up the car and all four recalls had been fixed so I didn't think much about it until I got home and looked at the invoice in detail. The head unit recall was on the invoice twice and they hadn't done the PCV valve replacement. They were quite apologetic after I pointed that out, but I did have to take the car in again. All four recalls are now officially fixed for my '18 Limited.

Now we'll see if there is another recall. I did have a cracked strut that was replaced under warranty so there could be a suspension issue that needs fixing.
Probably the suspension issue mentioned in the article...

·
Registered
51 Posts
We did the same thing, too, just before the end of the two years even though it's low miles.Thought we were getting all of the recalls done but the next day someone posted here about the brake hoses. Where did you get it done where they had the hoses in stock?
Pacific Subaru in Hawthorne/Manhattan Beach. A really nice new dealership, service has always been good and they give you an Uber within ten miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
kind of on-subject but recently my '16 crosstrek limited has started intermittently very randomly developing an issue where when the accelerator is pressed the car will lurch/jerk forward, almost as if there is a loss of power for a split second...no check engine light, checked with OBD reader no misfires registered...it's the most bizarre thing and I cannot understand what causes it (temperature, weather, etc.) and it doesn't happen often enough to pose a problem, but still the feeling is absolutely disgusting and doesn't bode fate for me

I have no idea if its related to the engine valve recall potentially, or if its a transmission issue but overall super disappointed with my purchase from last year on this subaru

·
Registered
178 Posts
kind on on-subject but recently my '16 crosstrek limited has started intermittently very randomly developing an issue where when the accelerator is pressed the car will lurch/jerk forward, almost as if there is a loss of power for a split second...no check engine light, checked with OBD reader no misfires registered...it's the most bizarre thing and I cannot understand what causes it (temperature, weather, etc.) and it doesn't happen often enough to pose a problem, but still the feeling is absolutely disgusting and doesn't bode fate for me

I have no idea if its related to the engine valve recall potentially, or if its a transmission issue but overall super disappointed with my purchase from last year on this subaru
Would one think that a valve issue would not be that intermittent?

41 - 50 of 50 Posts