Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
What you say does make sense. But we have seen other examples of defective parts runs in the same vehicle and not affecting all, just different time periods. And maybe there are different suppliers, too. The Impreza is manufactured in the US while the Crosstrek in Japan. Could they have different parts runs, or even different suppliers?
Good point!

It's still speculation by the automotive media, looking for a scoop and/or click bait until the production runs are published... 馃樃

Edit: Is the Impreza "manufactured" in the US or assembled from components from elsewhere? Subaru's corporate site only lists one location for engine manufacture, and it's not Indiana.

Registered
Good point!

It's still speculation by the automotive media, looking for a scoop and/or click bait until the production runs are published... 馃樃

Edit: Is the Impreza "manufactured" in the US or assembled from components from elsewhere? Subaru's corporate site only lists one location for engine manufacture, and it's not Indiana.
Subaru assembles the Impreza in Indiana, but the engine/trans/other major components all shipped over from Japan. They don't do any engine manufacturing outside of Japan.

Registered
Subaru assembles the Impreza in Indiana, but the engine/trans/other major components all shipped over from Japan. They don't do any engine manufacturing outside of Japan.
That's what I thought. Wasn't sure. So an engine for an Impreza is likely to have the same supply chain as an engine for a Crosstrek, although not necessarily...

Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
I guess we'll have to wait and see when we get our letters. I still haven't got anything on the coil and PCV recalls...

Registered
I guess we'll have to wait and see when we get our letters. I still haven't got anything on the coil and PCV recalls...
Do you have a way to enter your VIN somewhere and see the recalls? I could see them the next day (after the car had just been to the dealer, grrrr)...

This is the Subaru of America site: https://www.subaru.com/vehicle-recalls.html/

Of course, the Americas are vast, comprising two entire continents and many sovereign nations but somehow the inhabitants of the United States of America are the only "Americans"? 馃樃

Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
Do you have a way to enter your VIN somewhere and see the recalls? I could see them the next day (after the car had just been to the dealer, grrrr)...

This is the Subaru of America site: https://www.subaru.com/vehicle-recalls.html/

Of course, the Americas are vast, comprising two entire continents and many sovereign nations but somehow the inhabitants of the United States of America are the only "Americans"? 馃樃
Yup, have put my VIN in several times (different site for Canada), and only recall I get is that HU update, which I don't need because I did it myself.

Registered
2019 Crosstrek Limited CVT
Discussion Starter #27
Something doesn't make sense. Also the Forester has a different engine. Yet the article says "Meanwhile, engine valves of the Forester and XV lack durability, possibly causing their engines to stall." It's not clear what model year effects the Forester (spring and valve) and Crosstrek (valve). All they say is March 2013 and October 2018. This is the total range of both recalls. What part is the springs and what part is the valves?
I had trouble sorting that out in my mind too and concluded that the commonality is the 2.0L engine in both the Crosstrek and Forester. The previous generation Forester came with either a 2.5L or 2.0L turbo.

Registered
Again, I disagree. Case on point, the PCV valve that was recalled first appeared on the '17 Impreza. That did not come about with the redesign for the '18 Crosstrek, it was already there from the '17 Impreza.
LOL The case in point has nothing to do with the Impreza.Neither the '17 Impreza nor the '18 Crosstrek is the same car as a '17 Crosstrek.That's why the '17 Crosstrek doesn't have the PCV issue even though it was built the same time as the '17 Impreza and has the same name as the '18 Crosstrek,which does have the issue.The issue was already in the '17 Impreza but it wasn't already there on any Crosstrek.That's because '18 was the fist year the DI engine from the '17 Impreza was used in the Crosstrek.The '18 Crosstrek has so many recalls because,like the '17 Impreza that it's based on,has been completely redesigned from the previous year.That's the case in point.

P.S. Yes,some '17 Crosstreks did get the defective PCV valves but not all did.Why they changed something so simple that worked just fine I don't know.It must be that they are trying to cut cost again.

Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
Are you folks sure that the problem with the part was that it was a uniquely bad design? Could the part be something that failed from one (of many?) suppliers and not be a design problem...just a quality problem?

Registered
LOL The case in point has nothing to do with the Impreza.Neither the '17 Impreza nor the '18 Crosstrek is the same car as a '17 Crosstrek.That's why the '17 Crosstrek doesn't have the PCV issue even though it was built the same time as the '17 Impreza and has the same name as the '18 Crosstrek,which does have the issue.The issue was already in the '17 Impreza but it wasn't already there on any Crosstrek.That's because '18 was the fist year the DI engine from the '17 Impreza was used in the Crosstrek.The '18 Crosstrek has so many recalls because,like the '17 Impreza that it's based on,has been completely redesigned from the previous year.That's the case in point.

P.S. Yes,some '17 Crosstreks did get the defective PCV valves but not all did.Why they changed something so simple that worked just fine I don't know.It must be that they are trying to cut cost again.
You're either misreading what I'm writing or don't understand the point I am trying to make. I am not comparing an '18 Crosstrek to a '17 Crosstrek.

It is a indisputable fact that the '18 Crosstrek has the same engine recall as the '17 Impreza. So this is not something that's new in '18 models.

You've provided a wealth of information here on so many topics but you seem to have a problem if someone disagrees with you. Please re-read everything I have written and tell me where you disagree with me. If I've made a mistake I will happily acknowledge it!

Registered
Are you folks sure that the problem with the part was that it was a uniquely bad design? Could the part be something that failed from one (of many?) suppliers and not be a design problem...just a quality problem?
The issue is that the press force wasn't enough to prevent it from coming apart.Either the press was set up with insufficient pressure or the engineer miscalculated the force that would be needed when he designed the new part.What ever it is they supposedly have it fixed.

Registered
You're either misreading what I'm writing or don't understand the point I am trying to make. I am not comparing an '18 Crosstrek to a '17 Crosstrek.

It is a indisputable fact that the '18 Crosstrek has the same engine recall as the '17 Impreza. So this is not something that's new in '18 models.
Not once did I dispute that the '17 Impreza and the '18 Crosstrek have the same recall.I have no idea why you think I did.It is new in the '18 model Crosstrek because the '18 Crosstrek is all new for that year.The Impreza got the DI engine first and the Crosstrek got it a year later.One year isn't enough to identify the issues,find a fix for those issues and apply the fix to the assembly line.That's why the '18 Crosstrek has the same issues as the '17 Impreza that it is based on.

My point again is don't buy a new car when it's first released or redesigned.Wait a few years for the issues to surface and give the engineers a chance to apply the fix to cars on the assembly line.Buy a car that's near the end of the run for that generation and you will get a better,more reliable car,without the headache of all those recalls.

Just for the record,it is you that is so disagreeable.In this thread and the catch can thread for instance,it seems you just have to find a reason to argue.Had you just stayed on topic and not mentioned the Impreza then we wouldn't be having this conversation now.

Registered
I had trouble sorting that out in my mind too and concluded that the commonality is the 2.0L engine in both the Crosstrek and Forester. The previous generation Forester came with either a 2.5L or 2.0L turbo.
The Forester 2.0L turbo and the Crosstrek do share the same valve but only with GEN 1 Trek - that is part# wise.

Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl

This is the kind of results you get when you allow the British to create a language.

Registered
Not sure what to think about whether my 2018 is entirely a "new model" although I bought it because it was certainly a huge platform change for the Crosstrek. The platform itself wasn't "new" as I understand it though, Crosstrek just following in its adoption after the platform had already been utilized elsewhere. I don't know how unique the Crosstrek engine is, not used in any other model, eh? If the flat four in my 2018 is used elsewhere and earlier I guess it doesn't seem so new. Just saying. As far as the egr valve not being assembled correctly, if true, some contractor is probably just trying to make more and more of them cheaper and cheaper until it is almost inevitable that quality fails entirely.

On the separate side talk on language. My son in law is from Brasil. He's an incredibly bright person and learned English quickly and well. It took a long time to learn interpretation of context though, to him Brazilian Portuguese has more intuitive and linear rules. He called me once from the DMV, having been told at one point to "fill in this form and fill that one out as well..." asking me if he had to fill his Drivers License out "outside" or fill it "in" (inside the building.) Not joking, he knew how important his new Drivers License was. Yes, as a retired teacher I have learned that "words matter."

As far as being "Americans" I can only quote Randy Newman in his anger at all that isn't America (except of course Australia) : "South America stole our name..."

Being a retired Earth Science teacher I remain in favor of reuniting of Gondwanaland and removing the US from North America, but I presume someone will yell at me for saying so.

Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
English isn't a rational language. Which most of us don't notice, because we grew up with it.

Back on topic, as annoying as this is, this car has still been low on problems and recalls. So I don't see being too soured on the car or brand because of it.

Registered
English isn't a rational language. Which most of us don't notice, because we grew up with it.

Back on topic, as annoying as this is, this car has still been low on problems and recalls. So I don't see being too soured on the car or brand because of it.
Agreed that the broadest sample of Subarus that I know of, Consumer Reports, seems to show that Subaru makes good cars although it's standing varies year to year. Maybe "reliability" is a bit subjective and depends on how the owners generally feel about their cars. Recalls are manageable. Breaking down in Death Valley not so much.

"Business English", as one academic once said, is the only dialect spoken (after the Civil War I presume) that had an army, so it became a national language.

Registered
Not sure what to think about whether my 2018 is entirely a "new model" although I bought it because it was certainly a huge platform change for the Crosstrek. The platform itself wasn't "new" as I understand it though, Crosstrek just following in its adoption after the platform had already been utilized elsewhere. I don't know how unique the Crosstrek engine is, not used in any other model, eh? If the flat four in my 2018 is used elsewhere and earlier I guess it doesn't seem so new. Just saying. As far as the egr valve not being assembled correctly, if true, some contractor is probably just trying to make more and more of them cheaper and cheaper until it is almost inevitable that quality fails entirely.

On the separate side talk on language. My son in law is from Brasil. He's an incredibly bright person and learned English quickly and well. It took a long time to learn interpretation of context though, to him Brazilian Portuguese has more intuitive and linear rules. He called me once from the DMV, having been told at one point to "fill in this form and fill that one out as well..." asking me if he had to fill his Drivers License out "outside" or fill it "in" (inside the building.) Not joking, he knew how important his new Drivers License was. Yes, as a retired teacher I have learned that "words matter."

As far as being "Americans" I can only quote Randy Newman in his anger at all that isn't America (except of course Australia) : "South America stole our name..."

Being a retired Earth Science teacher I remain in favor of reuniting of Gondwanaland and removing the US from North America, but I presume someone will yell at me for saying so.
LOL...

Yes, I feel the same way about the Crosstrek. In my opinion the '18 was not "all new/redesigned" as the new gen had already been introduced with the '17 Impreza, which is almost the same car. That's the point I was trying to make, apparently unsuccessfully. I'm not sure if it would have made a difference to us even if the Crosstrek had been the first model on the new global platform, as there were features we wanted. If everyone waited until a particular gen was a few years old then there would be no new cars, LOL.

Registered
I just took my 2018 Limited in for it's 16,000 oil change (yes, low miles and #3 of 4 included services) and had all three recalls done..... Ignition coil, pvc valve and brake hose. I really like the car so the recalls don't bother me.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts