Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,311 Posts
Yikes! Right now, our '18 is only showing the brake hose as incomplete and the '19 as the ignition coil.

·
Registered
2017 Smurf Blue Crosstrek Limited
49 Posts
“ Both Forester and Crosstrek engine valves have durability issues possibly causing their engines to stall. There have been 375 cases reported so far that are related to the suspension and engine defects”

Hmmm, could this be what others have experienced in that “randomly loses power” thread? Guess it doesn’t describe too much further than “causes engine to stall”.

·
Registered
536 Posts
“ Both Forester and Crosstrek engine valves have durability issues possibly causing their engines to stall. There have been 375 cases reported so far that are related to the suspension and engine defects”

Hmmm, could this be what others have experienced in that “randomly loses power” thread? Guess it doesn’t describe too much further than “causes engine to stall”.
When an engine loses power due to the "durability" of the valves,that power doesn't come back without major repairs.If that lack of durability causes the engine to stall then it's unlikely to start again.If it does then it will be running on 3 cylinders at the most and once again,will not run right again without major repairs.

·
Registered
2015 XV Premium, Desert Khaki
61 Posts
Don't wanna toot my own horn or anything but did the 13-17's have this many recalls? :p

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
170 Posts
Can't testify to the accuracy of this source: https://www.investopedia.com/news/most-and-least-recalled-cars/ and it obviously doesn't have the more recent data on Subaru's new recalls. It also is based on four years (why four?) and might look quite different for more years, or different years.

So for what it is worth it claims Crosstreks have infrequent recalls. I suspect that new models tend to have more problems and this comparison may not be apples to apples as some of the high recalled vehicles might be over represented by new models.

" Most-Recalled Vehicles

The most-recalled vehicles from 2013 to 2017 tend to have lower reliability ratings, although this is not necessarily the case. THe study found that the vehicle most often recalled during the period in question was the Mercedes-Benz C-Class. This was followed by the GMC Sierra, the BMW 3/4 Series, the Dodge Durango and the Nissan Pathfinder. Other vehicles rounding out the top 10 most-recalled cars were the Ram Pickup, the Toyota 4Runner, the Dodge Charger, the Chrysler 300 and the Chevrolet Tahoe. Interestingly, the 4Runner maintains a high reliability rating of 5.0, even as it is one of the most often recalled cars."
Least-Recalled Vehicles
On the other hand, the vehicles that experienced recalls with the lowest frequency were often those with the highest reliability ratings, according to the study. The least-recalled vehicle from 2013 to 2017 was the Hyundai Accent. This was followed by the Chevrolet Equinox, the Toyota Corolla, the Honda Civic and the Honda CR-V. Other vehicles in the top 10 list of those least often recalled include the Honda Accord, the Subaru Crosstrek, the Toyota Camry, the Hyundai Elantra and the GMC Terrain."

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't wanna toot my own horn or anything but did the 13-17's have this many recalls? :p
If you designed and manufactured them then toot away! Otherwise it would seem to be the luck of the draw from a customer perspective and no tooting required, lol! 😜

I almost bought a 2016 but then thought maybe i will be inheriting someone else's problems. Good call, now I get to deal with my very own new problems!

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you designed and manufactured them then toot away! Otherwise it would seem to be the luck of the draw from a customer perspective and no tooting required, lol! 😜

I almost bought a 2016 but then thought maybe i will be inheriting someone else's problems. Good call, now I get to deal with my very own new problems!
As far as recalls,you have to be more exact on the year.The '13s have the most recalls of the gen 1 cars.Why?Because it was the first year of production.This means the there are problems that didn't surface during the standard R&D process.With each year of production,these problems will surface,the engineers can fix those problems,those fixes will be applied to the cars on the assembly line and thus the car will be more trouble free than in previous years.That's why the '16 and '17s have the fewest recalls.My '16 has only been recalled for the brake light switch.An issue that has troubled many manufacturers lately.They are the last of the run of 1st gen cars so they have had plenty of time to work the bugs out.The '18 cars were all new/redesigned so there are still problems that have not been solved.My '16 has been 100% trouble free and I couldn't be more pleased with my decision.

The thing to remember is that just because a car is used doesn't mean that there is or ever was anything wrong with it and just because a car is new doesn't mean that it will be trouble free.So before you make that purchase,do your homework first.With used cars,research that model year only as earlier models will likely have more issues that have been worked out on the one you're looking to buy.Never buy a new car on it's first year or two of production because you will have problems that will be inherited by the next buyer that didn't do their homework.That's why,when the lease on my '16 ran out,I decided to keep it rather than roll the dice and hope that Subaru got it right the first time.Something that rarely if ever happens in the automotive industry these days.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
The '18 cars were all new/redesigned so there are still problems that have not been solved.
Yes and no... the '17 Imprezza was the first on the new global platform and the Crosstrek is almost the same car.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Nope,it was the Impreza that
Yes and no... the '17 Imprezza was the first on the new global platform and the Crosstrek is almost the same car.
Yes,it was the Impreza that first used the global platform for the '17 model year.They are,key word here is "almost",the same car.The Crosstrek switched to the global platform for the '18 model year,which is when it was then redesigned.The first '18s were built in '17 but the '17s are the last of the first gen cars.Nothing changed with the '17 model year.The '18 model year is all new.The body is different,the interior is different and as we all know,that's when they switched to the direct injected engine.With all these changes comes new problems.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Yes,it was the Impreza that first used the global platform for the '17 model year.They are,key word here is "almost",the same car.The Crosstrek switched to the global platform for the '18 model year,which is when it was then redesigned.The first '18s were built in '17 but the '17s are the last of the first gen cars.Nothing changed with the '17 model year.The '18 model year is all new.The body is different,the interior is different and as we all know,that's when they switched to the direct injected engine.With all these changes comes new problems.
You missed my point... the '18 Crosstrek (that we have), is almost exactly the same car as the '17 Impreza. I don't know the exact figure but I would guess that over 90% of the individual components are exactly the same. Case on point:

·
Registered
536 Posts
You missed my point... the '18 Crosstrek (that we have), is almost exactly the same car as the '17 Impreza. I don't know the exact figure but I would guess that over 90% of the individual components are exactly the same. Case on point:

View attachment 298267
And the '17 Crosstrek is exactly the same as the '16 Crosstrek which is different from the '18 Crosstrek AND the '17 Impreza.The Crosstrek is one year behind the Impreza for updates.

So what is your point?What does the differences and/or similarities between the '17 Impreza and the '18 Crosstrek have to do with the changes made from the '17 Crosstrek to the '18 Crosstrek?They are two different cars that recieve their updates at two different times.Along with the 10% of the parts that won't interchange between the '17 Impreza and the '18 Crosstrek,many,many more will not interchange with the '17 Crosstrek.It's not which Impreza is like which crosstrek.It's which Crosstrek is like which Crosstrek that matters.The changes that were made to the '17 Impreza were not applied to the '17 Crosstrek.The changes were made to the '18 Crosstrek,resulting in so many problems,which resulted in so many recalls.That's the point.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
And the '17 Crosstrek is exactly the same as the '16 Crosstrek which is different from the '18 Crosstrek AND the '17 Impreza.The Crosstrek is one year behind the Impreza for updates.

So what is your point?What does the differences and/or similarities between the '17 Impreza and the '18 Crosstrek have to do with the changes made from the '17 Crosstrek to the '18 Crosstrek?They are two different cars that recieve their updates at two different times.Along with the 10% of the parts that won't interchange between the '17 Impreza and the '18 Crosstrek,many,many more will not interchange with the '17 Crosstrek.It's not which Impreza is like which crosstrek.It's which Crosstrek is like which Crosstrek that matters.The changes that were made to the '17 Impreza were not applied to the '17 Crosstrek.The changes were made to the '18 Crosstrek,resulting in so many problems,which resulted in so many recalls.That's the point.
Not sure why you're being so hostile about this...

You wrote, "The '18 cars were all new/redesigned so there are still problems that have not been solved."

Yes, they were all new for the Crosstrek but almost the exact same vehicle had been released a year earlier in the form of the Impreza. That's all I'm sayin'

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not sure why you're being so hostile about this...

You wrote, "The '18 cars were all new/redesigned so there are still problems that have not been solved."

Yes, they were all new for the Crosstrek but almost the exact same vehicle had been released a year earlier in the form of the Impreza. That's all I'm sayin'
Sorry you think I'm being hostile.Words that are typed can be and often are taken the wrong way.All I'm saying is that the Impreza of any model year has nothing to do with the topic at hand which is recalls for the '18 Crosstrek.The Crosstrek is what it is.I would think by now everyone knows that the Crosstrek is a lifted Impreza with fancy wheels and a more heavy duty drive train to allow for towing and that's why so many parts are interchangeable.The problems with the Crosstrek and the recalls that resulted from those problems,came about with the redesign for the '18 model year and not for the '17 model year when the Impreza was redesigned.

You want to get a '16 or '17 Crosstrek to get the most refinement of the first gen cars as well as it being the most reliable because they have had time to get the bugs worked out and thus have the fewest recalls.That's all I'm saying.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
The problems with the Crosstrek and the recalls that resulted from those problems,came about with the redesign for the '18 model year and not for the '17 model year when the Impreza was redesigned.
Again, I disagree. Case on point, the PCV valve that was recalled first appeared on the '17 Impreza. That did not come about with the redesign for the '18 Crosstrek, it was already there from the '17 Impreza.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Looks like the Crosstreks are only effected for the engine valve issue. The articles from Torgue News and Japan Times News don't indicate what the "fix" is. Do they have to replace the valves on the cars - sure hope not. Just some kind of inspection? Or?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Something doesn't make sense. The crosstrek and imprezza share the same engine. Yet no mention of the imprezza. Also the Forester has a different engine. Yet the article says "Meanwhile, engine valves of the Forester and XV lack durability, possibly causing their engines to stall." It's not clear what model year effects the Forester (spring and valve) and Crosstrek (valve). All they say is March 2013 and October 2018. This is the total range of both recalls. What part is the springs and what part is the valves?

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Something doesn't make sense. The crosstrek and imprezza share the same engine. Yet no mention of the imprezza. Also the Forester has a different engine. Yet the article says "Meanwhile, engine valves of the Forester and XV lack durability, possibly causing their engines to stall." It's not clear what model year effects the Forester (spring and valve) and Crosstrek (valve). All they say is March 2013 and October 2018. This is the total range of both recalls. What part is the springs and what part is the valves?
Bear in mind that all we know right now is based upon speculation by car bloggers and magazines, looking for views and ad clicks...

As I wrote earlier, the '18 Crosstrek is not substantially different from the '17-18 Imprezza, especially the engine. I would be astonished if a major recall to do with engine valves only involved one and not the other.

·
Registered
Vancouver, BC, Canada CGK 2018 Ltd EyeSight
1,855 Posts
As I wrote earlier, the '18 Crosstrek is not substantially different from the '17-18 Imprezza, especially the engine. I would be astonished if a major recall to do with engine valves only involved one and not the other.
What you say does make sense. But we have seen other examples of defective parts runs in the same vehicle and not affecting all, just different time periods. And maybe there are different suppliers, too. The Impreza is manufactured in the US while the Crosstrek in Japan. Could they have different parts runs, or even different suppliers?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Since the articles say the valve problem effect both the Crosstrek and Forester, I looked at the valve part #s for Gen 1 and Gen 2 Treks. One valve that have the same part #s between the Trek and the forester is 13202AA880. This is the exhaust valve for the 2015-2017 Trek & 2017-2018 Forester. There are other ones which are for even older Treks. No sharing Gen 2 Treks and Foresters. Maybe the problem only effects Gen 1 Treks?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts