Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 11k miles on my 19' Crosstrek and for the last 5 or 6 months or so there has been an extremely annoying vibration sound coming from somewhere around the headunit cubby hole area. It sounds like plastic or something may be loose, but pressing all around the area looking for looseness has been to no avail. Anyone had this issue?

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,662 Posts
Not sure if it's the same thing but ours has developed something like that - it seems to be coming from where the top of the glove box door meets the center console. Opening and closing the glove box stops it... but not for very long.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Mine has a rattle in the eyesight housing. or near the sunroof switch surround. holding either stops the noise.

I've seen posts about fixing the glove box rattle with felt tape or something similar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine has a rattle in the eyesight housing. or near the sunroof switch surround. holding either stops the noise.

I've seen posts about fixing the glove box rattle with felt tape or something similar.
Could you link me with the post? Thanks!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Could you link me with the post? Thanks!

someone also mentioned in another thread that it could be unsecured wires above the glovebox, you might want to check around in there if you're messing with it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the EXACT same issue @nickmiser91, Oh, AND the glove box rattles, but definately two separate issues. Lets face it, subies RATTLE. Fact of life. They definately have work to do in that area, but have come a long way on their interiors recently. The noise to me sounds like some item is not attached solidly somewhere in the area from the head unit down the stack to the cubby hole. What I have found though, is if you drive along and you hear this rattle, place your hand on the rubber pad in the cubby hole and put pressure on it.....the rattle disappears. But it does drive me crazy! Personally, I think many Japanese companies (being so cost-down driven) select inferior and possibly recycled plastic materials to use on interior components that are greatly affected by thermal expansion, shrinkage, etc...

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
11,662 Posts
I have the EXACT same issue @nickmiser91, Oh, AND the glove box rattles, but definately two separate issues. Lets face it, subies RATTLE. Fact of life. They definately have work to do in that area, but have come a long way on their interiors recently. The noise to me sounds like some item is not attached solidly somewhere in the area from the head unit down the stack to the cubby hole. What I have found though, is if you drive along and you hear this rattle, place your hand on the rubber pad in the cubby hole and put pressure on it.....the rattle disappears. But it does drive me crazy! Personally, I think many Japanese companies (being so cost-down driven) select inferior and possibly recycled plastic materials to use on interior components that are greatly affected by thermal expansion, shrinkage, etc...
Yep, there's also a buzzy noise that comes from the HU when we're up in the snow. It goes away once the interior of the car warms up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have this problem with my 2018. I narrowed it down to where the soft plastic center console meets the hard plastic upper on the driver's side at the level of the cubby hole.

If I hold the two sections while driving the rattle stops. Would love to take it apart and put some foam in there but I have yet to be able to figure out how

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 crosstrek. The sound is coming from the eyesight housing area near the windshield. It starts usually at high speeds on older roads that are not necessarily bumpy, but do cause vibration. Anyone hear of any fixes for this? It's not the glovebox. It seems to be something inside the housing as mentioned that is rattling. Tried holding, pressing, etc. on the unit, but nothing worked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts