Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lift Kit by Anderson Design & Fabrication

After an awesome conversation with the owner of ADF (Patrick Anderson) He set me up with a 1" HDPE Space lift kit that is custom made to fit the XV. This thread is intended to give you a brief insight on how to install this kit.
Anderson Deisgn-Fab13-16 Subaru XV Crosstrek Lift Kits - Anderson Design & fabrication
REAR FIRST:

(please do not forget to unclip an ABS/VDC wiring from the control arm until install is complete. When you have put the shock back in simply clip the wiring back into the control arm)

Now while it is not necessary to do the rear first it is slightly more difficult and time consuming than completing the front.

The first step is to remove the rear sway bar. I did this by unbolting the two brackets found on the rear frame.

IMG_1394.jpg

Next step is to unbolt the shock absorber from the control arm (or trailing arm) as well as the sway bar connecting point.

IMG_1395.jpg

Finally you remove everything from the rear cargo area and find these two nuts that are holding the top of the shock in place. Unbolt those so you may now remove the entire shock absorber from the car.

IMG_1396.jpg

**Please take note that you may want help removing this** I had to have a friend stand on the control arm to it gave me enough room to wiggle the shock out of that pocket.

Final step is to hammer out the stock bolts from the shock and replace them with the bolts provided by ADF.

**I simply set the shock between two block of wood then literally hammered out each bolt with one hit**
**BE CAREFUL NOT TO BEND THE TOP OF THE STRUT**

IMG_1399.jpg

After placing the spacer on the top of the strut use the bolts provided by ADF and replace everything in the same order you took it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
FRONT NOW:

After much trial and error I have come to realize it is not necessary to remove the front sway bar for this install. While some may think it would be helpful it proved to waste about an hour of my time trying to remove it. So save yourselves the trouble and dont worry about it.

Start by removing the Alignment bolt, and actual strut bolt on the bottom first.
**LEAVE THE TOP STRUT BOLTS ATTACHED TO HOLD THE STRUT IN PLACE WHILE YOU REMOVE EVERYTHING ON THE BOTTOM**

IMG_1400.jpg

After removing these bolts its pretty straight forward as with the rear. Pull the control are down until there is enough room for the strut to pull out.
**CAREFUL PULLING THE CONTROL ARM DOWN. YOU RUN THE RISK OF SEPARATING THE CONTROL ARE FROM THE BUSHING
I USED A JACK UNDER THE CONTROL ARM SO IT DIDN'T DROP DOWN TOO FAR.

Final step as with the rear, when you get the shock out hammer the bolts out, replace them with the longer ADF bolts and the spacer top then put it back in the way you removed it.

**Please let it be of note you WILL need an alignment when everything is in its place**

If you do not get an alignment you run the risk of unequal tread wear and also with probably pull all over the road because you have completely removed the alignment bolts and re-installed them.

One Final before and after picture for comparison.

IMG_1403.jpg

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dam that's only one inch that looks awesome. Nice pictures dude

Reactions: scubasteve61086

·
Registered
836 Posts
Looks great, especially with that rim/tire combo!:goodjob: Does it ride and/or handle any different?

I've seen 2" lifts and now a 1" and I feel the 1" strikes the perfect balance of looks and extra clearance. The 2" lift just makes the car just look awkwardly high IMO. Unless you're doing some serious offroading, 2"+ seems unnecessary. I must say, the smaller rims with bigger, beefier tires goes a long way in completing the lifted look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bearded I completly agree! Which is why I chose the 1". 2 inch make too awkward of a wheel gap and with that means bigger tires and THAT means fender cutting... not a fan of that. The ride is noticeably different. Louder, rougher and it is most definitely not as nimble anymore. But its not terrible. All and all dropped my mpg from 31 to about 25.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would love to have a setup like that if my Crosstrek wasn't my DD and I went off road more than once in a blue moon. I couldn't justify taking such a hit in drivability and fuel economy just to look bad-a$$.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm actually going with Anderson's 1" spacers and King Standard Springs which will give me close to an 1 1/2" of lift. I'm also installing Anderson's 1.5 Sub Frame Spacers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you have the 3/8 saggy butt spacer too?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I just ordered my 2" lift kit from ADF. I ordered the 2 1/2" rear spacer. Is it much of a difference from the 2 3/8" as far as ride quality is concerned?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just came on this section to ask about top hat spacers and this pretty much andwers everything

I run a 2016 Impreza and was going to add in 1/2'' spacer as wasn't sure how the 1'' would sit

I was going to have the sway bar replaced with the larger diameter one at the same time

Is there anything I should be wary of regards refitting the sway bar or how the handling is affected

Also interested in people's opinions on what size to go for
I had been looking at paranoid fabrications offerings but not sure they come with associated bolt kit

Any help greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is perfect! Looking at doing this exact lift on mine! The write up was great, and the before are after pics were helpful. Can't wait to get it installed on mine!

·
Registered
2 Posts
FRONT NOW:

After much trial and error I have come to realize it is not necessary to remove the front sway bar for this install. While some may think it would be helpful it proved to waste about an hour of my time trying to remove it. So save yourselves the trouble and dont worry about it.

Start by removing the Alignment bolt, and actual strut bolt on the bottom first.
LEAVE THE TOP STRUT BOLTS ATTACHED TO HOLD THE STRUT IN PLACE WHILE YOU REMOVE EVERYTHING ON THE BOTTOM

View attachment 185121

After removing these bolts its pretty straight forward as with the rear. Pull the control are down until there is enough room for the strut to pull out.
**CAREFUL PULLING THE CONTROL ARM DOWN. YOU RUN THE RISK OF SEPARATING THE CONTROL ARE FROM THE BUSHING
I USED A JACK UNDER THE CONTROL ARM SO IT DIDN'T DROP DOWN TOO FAR.

Final step as with the rear, when you get the shock out hammer the bolts out, replace them with the longer ADF bolts and the spacer top then put it back in the way you removed it.

Please let it be of note you WILL need an alignment when everything is in its place

If you do not get an alignment you run the risk of unequal tread wear and also with probably pull all over the road because you have completely removed the alignment bolts and re-installed them.

One Final before and after picture for comparison.

View attachment 185129

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help! So got the ADF 1” for my Trek and got car all sorts of apart and spacers on and ready. Now struggling to get strut back into rear pocket and bolted back in at the bottom?! May have to resort to using spring compressor but I know they’re sketch. Any suggestions?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts