Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Crosstrek Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, old topic... new question:

I already have ceramic tint (20%) and a dash cover. My concern is, as others have stated, there are a few days in a row when I don't move my car and some extra sun protection would be ideal. Yes, I have a garage, but my Crosstrek is usually displayed prominently in the driveway. I'm also thinking to take the Subie camping and blackout might be nice. Alternately, screens might be nice since I already have the window trim (essential). I'm considering three options (or more if anyone has a good idea):

1. Buy the all window kit from WeatherTech for something like $150.
2. Buy fitted screens for considerably less.
3. Make my own inserts out of 1" foam (gym floor material)... and figure out how to make one side reflective... and how to keep them in the windows.

I'm currently leaning toward WeatherTech. Tear it up, team. :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
May want to consider HEATSHIELD. 2014-subaru-crosstrek-hatchback-5d Same price. Appears to be identical except side that goes against window has suction cups to hold shield in place. [except windshield where sunvisors do this]. Also company offers a rear hatch shield and a sunroof shield.

If the window screens don't keep the heat out as well as a heat shield, then the heat shield is better option.

I've had the HEATSHIELDS for windshield and front side windows for 4 years, very satisfied.

Reactions: ryanh

·
Registered
2014 Crosstrek Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went with WeatherTech... I might also get a set of HeatShield to see which fit better... my review:

Vehicle: 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Part Number: TS1003K2

Te Sales at WeatherTech - [[email protected]]

I have several friends asking me about these and I want to recommend them, because I have other WeatherTech products that are awesome. The shades, however, need some modifications.

Please see review - I am reaching out proactively:

"WeatherTech review (2014 Crosstrek) - 4 of 5 stars before mods - images attached - back window is perfect - front window is decent given my extra camera, etc - side windows appear to require shims - might be better once flattened and I won’t be storing rolled up - driver’s rear window seems smaller than required (hence the minus star) - two of the four the side windows partially fell immediately after closing the doors which is why I added some folded thick paper (shims) to keep them in place - I might recommend that WeatherTech either include shims or ship the shades flat or folded only once) - I specifically chose WeatherTech over HeatShield to avoid the suction cups - so maybe a dozen or so small plastic shims is the answer - probably keeping - possible returning - have not decided"

Please see the images of the driver's side and passenger side rear window covers. These should be identical (mirror images), but the passenger side fits while the driver's side does not.

- Plastic Shims for Leveling - 36 Piece Jar, Strong and Durable Table Wedges, DIY Levelers for Furniture, Table, Chair, Cabinet, Table Leg, Restaurant - Adjustable Multipurpose Furniture Levelers - Brand: SUPERUS - 4.6 out of 5 stars - 362 ratings - $12.59 ($0.35 / Count)

I have ordered the above shims and if they work I will probably keep the WeatherTech kit. I was looking for small smooth plastic shims, but could not find any. As there is at least one other complaint of the shades not fitting as expected, WeatherTech might include 12 or more small shims to aid in keeping the shades in place. Not rolling the shades is also advisable.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Lifted 6-speed Crosstrek
2,178 Posts
A friend of mine bought the same kit since he did a lot of car camping. He sold the car a couple weeks ago and just gave me the shades.
I actually just tested them out last Friday in the garage since they had been sitting at my house since he sold the car.

I can confirm the same minor issues you stated are the same I noticed as well.

·
Registered
2014 Crosstrek Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shims are in place. They seem to work well placed at an angle (probably better than suction cups). I'll try to rotate the tabbed areas so as not to wear down the window seals. I used 8 of 36, but having 12 might be ideal just in case. Would still be nice if the shades did not require these, but it's a workaround for now. Interior car temp remains below 110F mid-day in direct sunlight (78F outside). Images attached.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts