Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went from a 2011 Forester which started to have major problems to a 2019 XV with 25,000 miles. Had the car about a week then it wouldn't start. The Subaru dealer sent a flatbed with a loaner and brought the XV back.

They had the car for a week and incidentally burned a half a tank of gas, probably a worker took home to verify repair. They sent it back to me and took the loaner away. Got in the car and it wouldn't start. The dealer sent the flatbed and repeated the above.

OK, so it's been towed twice, spending more time at the dealer than in my driveway. Quite alarmingly, My Subaru app shows the ECM recall has yet to be completed. They told me the module was replaced but did not go into further details. According to this Subaru Recalls they should have reprogrammed the coil and replaced it if damaged.

I am going up to the dealer today and if they cannot give me a 100% guarantee the problem is fixed, they said they would buy the car back, no questions asked. At this point, I am just about fed up with my dealer and consequentially Subaru. This recall affected 460,000 vehicles and I cannot believe all of those are on the road and not able to start. So again I will assume the recommended fix does work and that Subaru is not replacing the modules with defective units. I will also assume that plugging in the car to diagnostics did not find any other problems such as the starter and/or the entire ignition system.

I am curious to know if any of you have had the ECM recall fixed and if it subsequently went bad again. If so, then Subaru is in fact either using a defective component or their ignition engineering is horribly flawed. Google "Subaru ECM recall" and you will see tons of owners with this problem.

I had my heart set on this car but this current fiasco is pushing me back to Toyota or Honda, two companies with a time-tested proven track record. I will update later on today.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds like they are doing fine. Tow and a loaner and offer to buy it back if they can’t fix it?

Cars have issues, they are fixing it what is the problem?

All brands could have similar issues like this.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
And it could be a dealer thing, not Subaru.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Quitting Subaru sounds like you are old friends. Me? I've had 63 Subarus, so I could actually quit. lol

I've never heard of the problem you're having with your car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Done with Subaru
Bought a white Certified 2019 RAV4 Limited, loaded up the wazoo, pristine condition, 6-cylinder.
Subaru makes fun cars to drive but they have a LONG way to go to match Toyota as far as engineering, and critical parts lifespan, in my honest opinion
Enjoy your cars, I'll enjoy mine

·
Registered
2017 and 2021 CrossTrek Limited
141 Posts
Done with Subaru
Bought a white Certified 2019 RAV4 Limited, loaded up the wazoo, pristine condition, 6-cylinder.
Subaru makes fun cars to drive but they have a LONG way to go to match Toyota as far as engineering, and critical parts lifespan, in my honest opinion
Enjoy your cars, I'll enjoy mine
Once had a 2006 Rav4 Limited. It was a PoS, and noisy as all get out. I'm sure the 2019 is better. Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
242 Posts
Curious if your XV had a push button start... Left in accessory mode over night...

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
526 Posts
While this is a frustrating thing and I have my own problems with Subaru (at this point I don't see another in my future) I think offering to buy it back at full price shows good faith. I know that it is difficult when the car you bought is not trustworthy so I understand your anger. Personally I've had a clunker or two and never had a dealer pack up the problem car and bring me a new one while offering my money back. It would be understandable if you took the $ and left the company and I think that's about as much as a company can do when they screw up.

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
3,621 Posts
So you signed up to complain and somehow six hours later you're in a different car? Ok then see ya
Yeah, not criticizing this OP specifically, but threads that start like this are nearly always about using the Internet for revenge, rather than actually attempting to diagnose a problem. And though it's super-illogical to use a single experience to paint an entire brand with such a broad brush, it can definitely be human nature to do that ...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yeah, not criticizing this OP specifically, but threads that start like this are nearly always about using the Internet for revenge, rather than actually attempting to diagnose a problem. And though it's super-illogical to use a single experience to paint an entire brand with such a broad brush, it can definitely be human nature to do that ...
some people don't speak up unless it's to complain. like me on yelp :ROFLMAO:. I have almost 99k miles on my crosstrek. I have replaced one front axle because a boot was leaking, and that's it. I don't baby the car. that said I have more faith in the longevity of Toyota (I've had a few and now have a 2004 tundra and 2006 4runner).

but my next car will most likely be a Subaru because it has exceeded my expectations and I need the AWD which is excellent.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Could also be a paid troll....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Done with Subaru
Bought a white Certified 2019 RAV4 Limited, loaded up the wazoo
What's wrong with it's wazoo that they needed to load it up? Is that covered under the wazoo warranty?

·
Administrator
2021 Crosstrek Limited, Pure Red
3,621 Posts
What's wrong with it's wazoo that they needed to load it up? Is that covered under the wazoo warranty?
Yeah, that just sounds painful. :D

Anyhow, I'm not going to make any specific judgements about the OP ... after all, I'm the one who's always telling you guys not to do that sort of thing. ;) But I do think threads like this are unfortunate, because there's nothing constructive at all about them ...as I said, they're just about someone's idea of easy revenge. And the point of this forum is to be constructive.

As for Toyotas, I've owned a couple and they're nice-enough, very-generic vehicles ... though statistically, I think Subarus are just as long-lasting. And I have way more respect for Subaru's AWD implementation, which is the reason I went with the brand in the first place.

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
526 Posts
Yeah, that just sounds painful. :D

Anyhow, I'm not going to make any specific judgements about the OP ... after all, I'm the one who's always telling you guys not to do that sort of thing. ;) But I do think threads like this are unfortunate, because there's nothing constructive at all about them ...as I said, they're just about someone's idea of easy revenge. And the point of this forum is to be constructive.

As for Toyotas, I've owned a couple and they're nice-enough, very-generic vehicles ... though statistically, I think Subarus are just as long-lasting. And I have way more respect for Subaru's AWD implementation, which is the reason I went with the brand in the first place.
Honestly I took the thread as a positive statement about Subaru. My big problems with cars, especially with a new Ford Electric Focus make Subaru's offer to buy the OP out of the car seem fair and reasonable. I know that isn't OP's take, but I was impressed both with the treatment of the broken car and the offer for the buyer to walk away.

It is true that when we are talking reliability we are talking about statistical generalizations and we know that somewhere, someone, is finding a way to screw something up that just hasn't been prevented...or a boss just wants to push the line to get a bonus, whatever. My brand new 2007 Toyota Corolla went back to the dealer with two months on it with a problem installation of one of the computers...the car was still remarkably reliable, yes generically so, like a refrigerator it just hummed along after that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Honestly I took the thread as a positive statement about Subaru. My big problems with cars, especially with a new Ford Electric Focus make Subaru's offer to buy the OP out of the car seem fair and reasonable. I know that isn't OP's take, but I was impressed both with the treatment of the broken car and the offer for the buyer to walk away.

It is true that when we are talking reliability we are talking about statistical generalizations and we know that somewhere, someone, is finding a way to screw something up that just hasn't been prevented...or a boss just wants to push the line to get a bonus, whatever. My brand new 2007 Toyota Corolla went back to the dealer with two months on it with a problem installation of one of the computers...the car was still remarkably reliable, yes generically so, like a refrigerator it just hummed along after that.
I had a 2015 Lexis IS350 F-Sport (aka, rebranded Toyota), and sold that "appliance" in 2017 as it was a big (and expensive) "generic" disappointment. Got a 2017 Outback 3.6R Limited and was much happier...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL
No problem guys, knew I’d get blowback. Yes, the dealer gets props for taking the car back, and, yes the RAV is only FWD (my bad).
And yes again, all car companies will have fanboys and anti-fanboys.
If you go to Forester forums you’ll see my 2011 was costing me a fortune to keep running, with 140,000 miles. My personal experience with 5 Toyotas and one Honda was outstanding.
The main issue with this Crosstrek was that it was sold with the ECM recall not addressed. And when they did address it, it still refused to start. So I had a very bad feeling from start to finish including only having one master key and having the interior polluted with fragrance that we could not get rid of.
So pummel me if it makes you feel better. You’re in the car of your dreams and I am in a Toyota. The world has a slew of crises bigger than all of our car problems put together.
And so it goes.....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.