Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Subaru CrossTrek Limited w/Tech
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before we get into the details, just going to note that, yes, I am okay.

I was on the highway driving home from work last week when a sheet of ice came lose from the bed or roof of a pick-up and hit my windshields upper-right region. Let me set the stage for you here:

The highway goes East/West across the city. It's consists of 3 driving lanes plus merging lanes that exist for certain stretch's of the highway where on and off-ramps join or depart the highway. Where I live the far left-hand lane is commonly 'accepted' as the "fast" lane; where traffic is typically travelling at up to 120KM/h (74-ish MPH). I was in the far right lane where traffic typically travels between 80KH/h (minimum allowed) to 100KM/h (official speed limit).

The freezing rain that had been coming down for several days was (due to the temperatures) creating hard packed snow/ice and was coating cars. One of these pieces broke off what I believe was the roof of a pick-up truck in the fast lane. It became airborne and flew from the far left (fast) lane, across the center lane and impacted/smashed across the top right quarter of my windshield! I only saw this sheet of ice for seconds but I would guess it was roughly 1 foot square and let me tell you it hit with scary force. I felt it! I don't know how it is that my windshield was NOT shattered or cracked but there is absolutely no damage to my windshield.

If you live in regions where there is snow and ice build-up on cars - PLEASE take the time to clean your car off properly before driving anywhere.

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
6,909 Posts
Wow, glad you're OK!

I wonder, if it had caused significant damage, if you would have a claim against the truck driver. Do you have a dash cam?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I don't have dash cam unfortunately but have considered getting one for some time.
If I had a cam and was able to get the plate number of the truck driver - he would likely be ticketed for the incident.

In more recent years the police in this city/province have pulled people over for not sufficiently clearing snow off their cars. I don't imagine it's a good time - (though they deserve it) you have to clear your car off at the road side while the officer writes you up and drivers/pedestrians (more than likely) judge you as they pass.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I had a bike almost go through my windshield from the roof of the car in front, a while ago. So much depends on the competence, diligence and consideration of the other drivers on the road...

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm glad to hear that your windshield held up.I just saw on the news that a piece of ice went right through the windshield of a car and killed the driver.The piece of ice must have been huge.It put a hole in the glass agout 1 1/2 to 2 feet long going across in front of the drivers face and about 6 inches wide.How big would it have to be to make a hole that big?

·
Registered
247 Posts
My previous Subaru, Impreza wagon, received a big chunk of 18-wheeler rubber at highway speed right in the middle of the windshield. No damage other than a black skid-mark. The cheap retreads the big rigs use should have a minimum code requirement. The highway is littered with disintegrated retreads. When my Impreza was only weeks old a long-handled shovel fell out of a landscaper's pickup at highway speed and fortunately had stopped bouncing by the time I went over it. No damage other than a chunk out of a newish tire. I followed and caught up to the pickup. He bought me a new tire. Only one as the wear on the others wasn't enough to require all four replaced. So far so good with the Crosstrek other than a couple of big chips from winter "sand" and one ding that is more of a gouge than a chip. I've heard Subaru uses softer glass so it will chip rather than crack. Knowing about the winter "sand" used around here, at purchase I had a clear-bra installed on the front half of the Crosstrek to deter rusty paint dings and chips.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Astrokats ,

pro : compact size , un-obstrusive , function well in all weather ( minus 35 celsius in the great north) , easy transfer either with native app or the sd card. , ODB readings on phone via app.
cons: customer service and support abroad . getting in touch by email .... so some delays

Feel free to get in touch with me if any of you ...have further questions

Michel

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Holst ,

if you want to go down the dashcam road....
here what i have been using for 2 years .
reliable...easy wifi transfer , ios and android client .... easy install

Let me know if you have question

Michel
Thanks frenemj888!
I have browsed amazon before looking at possible cams to buy. The problem is there is a metric-ton of options! I just got lost in trying to decide. Recommendations based on use is always appreciated!

Have a couple questions:
How's this one do at night?
Does it have a build in battery, if so how long would it last on its own?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My previous Subaru, Impreza wagon, received a big chunk of 18-wheeler rubber at highway speed right in the middle of the windshield. No damage other than a black skid-mark. The cheap retreads the big rigs use should have a minimum code requirement. The highway is littered with disintegrated retreads. When my Impreza was only weeks old a long-handled shovel fell out of a landscaper's pickup at highway speed and fortunately had stopped bouncing by the time I went over it. No damage other than a chunk out of a newish tire. I followed and caught up to the pickup. He bought me a new tire. Only one as the wear on the others wasn't enough to require all four replaced. So far so good with the Crosstrek other than a couple of big chips from winter "sand" and one ding that is more of a gouge than a chip. I've heard Subaru uses softer glass so it will chip rather than crack. Knowing about the winter "sand" used around here, at purchase I had a clear-bra installed on the front half of the Crosstrek to deter rusty paint dings and chips.
Yikes! You've had some 'excitement' while driving clearly.
There was a number of deaths here due to retread truck tires in the 90's or early 2000s, it think it was. If I remember correctly they also had some really incompetent trucking companies that had entire tires come off the trailers while on the move. They, no surprise, ended up killing a few people. The Province/Ministry of Transportation went off of them hardcore and regulations got -very- tough on maintenance and inspection. As I understand it, if you drive heavy equipment around here and they find you're not safe in any way - BIG fines. Biiiiig fines!

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Hello Astrokats ,

pro : compact size , un-obstrusive , function well in all weather ( minus 35 celsius in the great north) , easy transfer either with native app or the sd card. , ODB readings on phone via app.
cons: customer service and support abroad . getting in touch by email .... so some delays

Feel free to get in touch with me if any of you ...have further questions

Michel
We're on our third in just over two years - a Blackvue DR900S-2ch It's 4K but I can't say I notice the difference from the previous 1080p. I like that it has Wi-Fi so no need to fiddle with the tiny SD card. It also has parking mode but I'm having trouble powering it without draining the battery.

·
Registered
2013 Orange XV Crosstrek
10 Posts
I have had the windshield take a hit with good deflection. But the nose is too soft so watch those hits. Here in Northern Michigan, I go up a steep hill every morning to get to town. Bad drivers hug the road center, and as I crested the hill one snowy day, I let off and coasted as far right as needed to clear one of them. Right there was a drive to an odd lot, and that morning they left a plow pile in the road, that I just went through. First winter with my XV, no sounds, rumbles, or anything out of sorts, so I continued to work. Broke the nose, brackets, etc.. Repaired it out of pocket for $1300 with a body shop.

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
901 Posts
Here the state passed a law to require clearing snow and ice off the roofs of vehicles. For cars, not everyone does. But at least it's not that hard to do. For trucks, the taller it is, the harder it is to do. So the fewer people do it.

·
Registered
2013 Orange XV Crosstrek
10 Posts
Here the state passed a law to require clearing snow and ice off the roofs of vehicles. For cars, not everyone does. But at least it's not that hard to do. For trucks, the taller it is, the harder it is to do. So the fewer people do it.
Michigan has that law, making you responsible for damages, etc..

·
Registered
16 Crosstrek Premium Quartz Blue Pearl
901 Posts
Michigan has that law, making you responsible for damages, etc..

Assuming you get caught. A driver that just got a windshield full of ice probably won't be able to identify who was responsible for it.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Assuming you get caught. A driver that just got a windshield full of ice probably won't be able to identify who was responsible for it.
Another good reason to get a dash cam! 😸

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think Pa follow suit with that law, but without a dash cam to prove negligence it's hard to prove...Being attentive and alert and not texting will help possible upcoming hazards!!!

·
Registered
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
228 Posts
Wrecking yard truck dropped a bundle of drive shafts and half shafts in front of me on 580. I remember a drive shaft digging in and vaulting over the front window of my Corolla. Great relief until I ran a half shaft over and it shattered both driver's side aluminum rims. The car just dragged off to the shoulder. I ran out and collected the 8 pieces of scrap before anyone else hit them. Truck didn't stop. Insurance covered it. Perfect dent under the car shaped vaguely like a constant velocity joint. I think I was lucky, I guess, dunno.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts