Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering trading in my Outback for the XV Hybrid, and am currently doing my research.

Is the A/C able to cool when the engine stops? If not, does the A/C automatically cycle off/on, or does the engine just never shut down when the A/C is on?

TIA!

·
Registered
119 Posts
The A/c compressor shuts down when the engine shuts down. After a bit the engine will cycle on and start cooling the car again. BUT if the A/C is on the FULL auto mode and "Recirc" the engine runs continuously . It's not as bad a sit sounds.

By all means,, GET THE HYBRID!!! You won't regret it AND you'll be happy knowing your Subaru gets better than 22 MPG in the city!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
With a hybrid you'll get allot more pep, accessories and better gas mileage. Their not selling well compare to the standard non hybrid model. Plus it's getting towards the end of the year. So you should be able haggle quite a bit on the price. I think I just talked myself into buying one! :cool:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have found that if I set the AC to 69degrees or higher when I come to a stop the engine will shutdown and the fan will continue to blow somewhat cool air. I have to sit for quite some time before the engine kicks back on. As the other post says if you are in full auto mode it seems to never shut down. Hope this helps.
Certainly haggle on the price, do your homework and you can get a nice deal on the hybrid.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah, the warmer it is outside, the less the engine will sit in EV mode at stops. So it won't blow hot air at you if that's what you're worried about... But obviously gas mileage suffers more than usual with the hybrid as a result since the stop-start is kind of part of its thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the responses. However, I ended up getting a Prius plug-in. I already have a Prius, as well as on Outback for bad weather. After this past winter where the Prius spent more time in the garage than not, I thought maybe I could get the best of both worlds with the XV Hybrid. But it was starting to seem like too many trade-offs, so I'll hang on to the Outback, upgrade the Prius to the plug-in, and let my SO use the older Prius (her V6 Passat is costing $$$$ in gas for her commute.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The A/C does turn off and I find it to be very annoying. The car gets too hot at stoplights before the engine turns back on.

I have not been happy with my XV hybrid and wish I had gone with a different vehicle for a variety of reasons.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The A/C does turn off and I find it to be very annoying. The car gets too hot at stoplights before the engine turns back on.

I have not been happy with my XV hybrid and wish I had gone with a different vehicle for a variety of reasons.
I'm curious to hear those reasons.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Me too....I'll make popcorn while we wait for the "reasons"
Naw, I'm not looking to start a fight-- at all. I'm honestly interested in hearing why he's not happy. It's not a perfect vehicle, but it's probably the best I've ever had for my income level (so yeah, no BMWs for me). I'd like to know why/how his experience has been different.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
As with many things in life, some people will get into something with false or misguided expectations then realize what a foolish or dumb mistake they made. And of course there are those who will justify it by whinning or complaining like it's not their fault at all for putting themselves into that situation. Like Chaos Theory, not trying to start a fight, just being honest.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Naw, I'm not looking to start a fight-- at all. I'm honestly interested in hearing why he's not happy. It's not a perfect vehicle, but it's probably the best I've ever had for my income level (so yeah, no BMWs for me). I'd like to know why/how his experience has been different.
I've owned 3 bmws and the crosstrek has been the most expensive car I've ever owned.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts