Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Hello and welcome.

Air bags don't always deploy. As the vehicle senses an impact, it decides whether or not to deploy them depending on the area and force of the impact. The reason for this is because air bags can cause injury.

The job of the air bag system is to sense the impact characteristics and, using a programmed threshold, to inflate the bags once the programmed threshold is reached. If the impact is sensed as being insufficient to cause the type of injuries air bags are for designed for, they do not deploy. If they did, every minor impact could result in eye injuries, cuts and open wounds. Air bags can also burn people, as a by-product of the of the aerosol chemical used to deploy them, a thermal-burn from the expanding gas, indirectly from something it melted (i.e., clothing, glasses, etc...), and/or friction. Not to mention a panic reaction when 60ish litres of nitrogen expands in .03 seconds, in front of a driver's face.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
There is almost no possibility that the air bags failed to do their job even if theyt did NOT deploy. Glad you are OK which if the air bags did not deploy you probably are.

·
Registered
2021 XV 1.6i-S Eyesight, Crystal Black Silica with Black Leather Seats. 17" wheels/Yokohama Globule
27 Posts
I was in an accident on 11/19/2021 and the air bags did not deploy and the car had never been in an accident before.
Hi Penny, Glad you're ok!

The airbags dont always deploy depending on a number of factors. See the attached extracts from the manual.
Rectangle Font Parallel Auto part Handwriting

Font Line Art Slope Parallel

Take care and stay safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts