Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have (or shortly will have) a 2018 premium crosstrek.
Consider me old fashion, I don't have data plan on my phone so all that APPS like AHA, Pandora don't concern me. Unfortunetly, the radio does not come with a CD player, HD radio and XM.
Does anybody know if there is an aftermarket radio that has CD, XM HD, Bluetooth, backup camera and capabilities to work with the steering wheel controls.
Thanks for your assistance. (I believe the radio is similar to the 2017 Impreza's

·
Registered
281 Posts
Even without a data plan, you can download music, podcasts, etc. to your phone and play that via Bluetooth. Alternatively, there is an audio input jack and USB ports, so you can play music from virtually any device. You can convert your CDs to MP3s and store a BUNCH on any cheap USB stick. It's not as perfect as an in-dash solution, but could help while you shop around.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Pretty much every major brand has a model that works with factory wheel control and backup cameras, unusually with an adapter.

+1 Jenfy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info
Jenfly, you are talking to someone who is ignorant of 20th century gizmo's, so you are talking a foreign tongue when it comes to me understanding, but thanks, I do have friends that talk that language.
I will searcdh around to find a compatable radio

·
Registered
281 Posts
It's all really easy. Your computer will probably just give you the option to save the songs as MP3s if you put a CD into the disc tray for it to read. You could even do some YouTube searches for videos where people will walk you through how to do that stuff. There are lots of easy tools you can get to do that for free. But I hear ya! Maybe ask a friend to help you out. Friends are great that way.
:smiley:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
iTunes is free and works well for ripping CDs to MP3s.

It's all really easy. Your computer will probably just give you the option to save the songs as MP3s if you put a CD into the disc tray for it to read. You could even do some YouTube searches for videos where people will walk you through how to do that stuff. There are lots of easy tools you can get to do that for free. But I hear ya! Maybe ask a friend to help you out. Friends are great that way.
:smiley:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I will explore the MP3 option, but that does not help me with XM. I know I can get one of those small XM units and plug it through the aux port and put an magnetic antenna, but I am spoiled with my 2016
I would like to have one unit and everything steering wheel control. With that XM unit the buttons are small, which may mean eyes off the road to change channel, and hiding the wires.
Why did Subaru skimp on the radio? There are a few of us old timers out there that are not tech savy

Enjoy the day, picking up the car this afternoon

·
Registered
281 Posts
The radio does include the ability to use Sirius/XM. Grabbed this from the Subaru site:

"An updated STARLINK Multimedia system with Apple CarPlay™, Android™ Auto, and Pandora® integration[5] comes standard on the 2018 Crosstrek. Wireless pairing and hands-free smartphone operation allow for safe and easy connection to your favorite apps and content. Access news, navigation, music, podcasts, and more through available STARLINK apps, such as iHeartRadio®, Yelp and Magellan, and SiriusXM® All Access Radio[6]. Plus, a built-in and voice-activated navigation system powered by TomTom is newly available, as well as an all-new 8-inch touch screen"

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just got off the phone with Subaru and they say only the 8" GPS screen has the ability to do satellite radio. And to put an extra kick in the pants, they CLAIM you can not swap from the 6.5" to the 8" at a later time either.

I just signed the paperwork on a Premium as I didn't want a number of the features on a limited. So I won't be having XM radio till I find an aftermarket head unit to replace the factory unit with. I'm a bit annoyed by this discovery. I originally thought as Jenfy did, based on a similar text I read on Subaru's website. The idea that XM is only available on the limited trim Subaru in the US is just absurd.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Man, that stinks! It really seemed like all the models were going to come standard with SirusXM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The idea that XM is only available on the limited trim Subaru in the US is just absurd.

I am right there with you on no Sirius! I sat there dumbfounded in the salesguy's office, in total disbelief. No Sirius available on the Premium model! So now I will get to stream it from my phone, I'm sure that won't lead to any distracted driving at all. Totally absurd.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is anyone having a problem with the media loading using a flash drive. I have 2018 premium. At first the unit would not read the folders on the flash drive.
The radio apparently is not equipped to do this. I reformatted 32GB stick with 155 folders that played wonderfully for 3 yeasr in my 2014 crv.
I had to transfer the music from each folder and name the playlist using a program.
Now it recognizes the playlist. Unfortunately every time I turn the car off the stick takes forever to load. Sometimes it doesn't load at all.
I have to literally pull the stick out of the usb port and put it back in for it to load. What the heck is this about?

·
Registered
26 Posts
you could get Sirius/XM on a smartphone and stream it using bluetooth ... I know you say you're not familiar with the latest tech, but it's easier and cheaper than trying to replace the headunit .... I'm not sure it can be replaced and still look good. You're paying a lot of money for this car, I'd keep it as original as possible. The headunit controls a lot of things like lighting levels for the car, mic levels, etc. An aftermarket unit might have some unintended consequences

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've owned my car for about two weeks now and I've taken to using Pandora as my Sirrus replacement. I've done so to the point where I'm looking at paying for Pandora Premium.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is anyone having a problem with the media loading using a flash drive. I have 2018 premium. At first the unit would not read the folders on the flash drive.
The radio apparently is not equipped to do this. I reformatted 32GB stick with 155 folders that played wonderfully for 3 yeasr in my 2014 crv.
I had to transfer the music from each folder and name the playlist using a program.
Now it recognizes the playlist. Unfortunately every time I turn the car off the stick takes forever to load. Sometimes it doesn't load at all.
I have to literally pull the stick out of the usb port and put it back in for it to load. What the heck is this about?
Please tell me you're kidding. I figured no CD player was cool because I have all my music on flash drives. I knew I'd only have one USB port with the 6.5 (which sucks), but at least that was something. Hopefully it's just a bad drive or the head unit has compatible issues with your specific drive. I don't want to run all my music off my phone via Bluetooth!!!

The more I read, the more likely I am going to lease my 2018 when it arrives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree

I just got off the phone with Subaru and they say only the 8" GPS screen has the ability to do satellite radio. And to put an extra kick in the pants, they CLAIM you can not swap from the 6.5" to the 8" at a later time either.

I just signed the paperwork on a Premium as I didn't want a number of the features on a limited. So I won't be having XM radio till I find an aftermarket head unit to replace the factory unit with. I'm a bit annoyed by this discovery. I originally thought as Jenfy did, based on a similar text I read on Subaru's website. The idea that XM is only available on the limited trim Subaru in the US is just absurd.
I purchased a 2018 Crosstrek Premium, and I am running into the same issues you are discussing. My wife has a CR-V with Sirius XM, and I love it (the radio not the car). Totally ridiculous that Subaru doesn't even offer it as an option. I don't want leather seats, but I do want Sirius!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, I have to pull the stick out and put back in each time I start the car for it to load. And the port isn't the easiest to find while sitting in the drivers seat.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
On MY 2016 Fujitsu Ten, I set up the USB 32GB using iTunes. I have over 1,000 folders (artists). I copy the files to the stick using Windows 7.
Music / iTunes / iTunes Media / Music

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got stuck with the Premium before I realized there was no XM. I didn't think they made radios without xm so it wasn't a issue. Subaru saved $10-12.00
I guess that's what counts. There should be a large notice on the window sticker NO XM RADIO. WE WANT YOU TO BUY THE LIMITED if you want a modern radio.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts