Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm planning to buy used Subaru XV 2012 model this year.
I was wondering whether current/previous owners of this model could share their feedback about possible downsides of this model or Subaru vehicles in general? I know there are many reviews on it, but I am interested to hear from the owners that had used this car for more than a year or two.
From what I've read - it's a solid and reliable choice in many aspects. I'm only not sure whether diesel engine option is a good choice (apart from the price difference) - I've heard that first-generation Subaru diesel engines had issues in some cases. Also, does CVT or manual transmission come into play when considering overall car reliability?
Depending on the availability I might also consider 2013 or 2014 year model.

I would appreciate all your feedback!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Consumer Reports gives a "much worse than average" reliability for the 2013. They don't provide a rating for the 2012.
See post #8 at the following thread to see the ratings for other years:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2013 gas, CVT. So far it's been a reliable car. I had the recall work done on the valves and brake lights. The CVTs have an extended warranty...10 year/10k miles. If I was buying an early model XV I would make sure all recall work has been done. MT is great but if you can only find a CVT make sure you know if it had any warranty work done. If it's over 100k miles and hasn't needed/had any tranny work I would expect that to be in your future.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
255 Posts
I strongly suggest you search for a 2014+ MY if you can find one for your budget.
^^^This. Not sure where you live, Thomas, but I assume you're in Europe since you mention a diesel option. In the US, 2013 was the first year for the Crosstrek.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys, thanks for all your comments!

Can you elaborate on why you recommend only 2014+ model? Are there some major downsides in 2012,2013 models?

Also yes, I'm from Europe.

·
Registered
2020 Premium 6MT
255 Posts
Guys, thanks for all your comments!

Can you elaborate on why you recommend only 2014+ model? Are there some major downsides in 2012,2013 models?

Also yes, I'm from Europe.
2013 model year here in the US wasn't very reliable according to Consumer Reports.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts