Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ok, you nailed the wing design that can actually help clear that rear window of dust. Butt that wing up along the roof line. The cutouts need just a slight bit of deflection to force some air downward. Overall, your ride is looking sweet. It’s a shame you live in that god forsaken nanny state known as California. Don’t get me wrong. California is great, it’s the politics I hate.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok, you nailed the wing design that can actually help clear that rear window of dust. Butt that wing up along the roof line. The cutouts need just a slight bit of deflection to force some air downward. Overall, your ride is looking sweet. It’s a shame you live in that god forsaken nanny state known as California. Don’t get me wrong. California is great, it’s the politics I hate.
I still need to do some adjustments to the wing and will probably go all in on the newer design of the exhaust system eventually.

Thank you for the kind words. I'll let you know if it does keep the dust away.

Wow now it looks factory ?

I could really see that with some mild side skirts and front & rear bumper lips.
You don't know how tempted I am to swap an OEM STi front end on this thing including side skirts and all.

Cheers!

Trying to create my version of the Crosstrek STi eventually.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wow, that's brilliant. I had no idea about European fog lights. Went on line and it seems to me that these lights would make American cars quite a bit easier to see in really bad weather. I wonder if they can be easily added?
So I believe the law state that an imported car can have at most one rear fog light. My 05 Mini Cooper S has this, centered in the lower end of the bumper. I'll flick it on if there's heavy fog, but really it's not often enough. European climates are more demanding of this feature. I would check your states traffic laws on whether you can add two yourself.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Painted fits the bill....looks killer again!!

Reactions: Agent0024

·
Banned
170 Posts
The giant rear reflectors are not a US DOT requirement per se. In Euro cars, and for the Crosstrek/XV, those are actually the housings for the required rear fog lamps. US does not require fog lights/lamps on vehicles. The Crosstrek/XV is a world platform, pretty much the same car sold everywhere on the planet with small differences, such as of engine offered (Euros get the 1.6 liter). Euros have the reflectors with fog lamps as required for all vehicles. US gets just the giant reflectors to fill the hole that would otherwise be there. In Europe, nobody would be removing/would be allowed to remove the fog lamps/reflectors just to poke though some bling exhaust tips.
That is absolutly false. Rear red reflectors are a requirement in the US.
That's entirely why they exist on the vehicle. :rolleyes:

It's in order to meet FMVSS 108, as specified by the NHTSA.

Tail lamps can be from 15-72" off the ground, rear reflectors can be from 15-60" off the ground. Some cars, they integrate the rear reflectors into the tail lamps, but if the tail lamps are between 60" and 72" high, this can't be done legally, and therefore they're required to include reflectors that are lower.

·
Registered
2020 Crosstrek Limited
415 Posts
That is absolutly false. Rear red reflectors are a requirement in the US.
That's entirely why they exist on the vehicle. :rolleyes:

It's in order to meet FMVSS 108, as specified by the NHTSA.

Tail lamps can be from 15-72" off the ground, rear reflectors can be from 15-60" off the ground. Some cars, they integrate the rear reflectors into the tail lamps, but if the tail lamps are between 60" and 72" high, this can't be done legally, and therefore they're required to include reflectors that are lower.
RH:
Not to be argumentative, but this would not seem to be Subaru's reasoning because our tail lamps are well below 60-72" off the ground.
-steve

·
Banned
170 Posts
RH:
Not to be argumentative, but this would not seem to be Subaru's reasoning because our tail lamps are well below 60-72" off the ground.
-steve
Tail lamps can be from 15-72" off the ground, rear reflectors can be from 15-60" off the ground.
Nowhere did I state Subaru's reasoning for placement. I stated the law for which the red rear reflectors exist on all vehicles.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
This is wack.

Please go argue elsewhere. I honestly don’t give a flying **** about the legality of the rear reflectors.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,158 Posts
Here's the California vehicle code: Law section

You need two red reflectors, one on each side, between 15-60" high, plainly visible from 350ft.

FYI, this isn't directed at @Agent0024 - you've made your position very clear, LOL! It's for anyone else who comes along and thinks it's a good idea to replace reflectors or do other mods like tinting or whatever that they may not be aware is illegal and could lead to an expensive ticket, or worse...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Added a spoiler. Finally found one worth adding. I saw it in Japan on a recent trip and finally got my hands on one.

I technically did the serious test fitting yesterday and the actual installation today. Gloss black vinyl is coming tomorrow. Once I'm sick of that then I'll paint it CGK.

The spoiler is now leveled due to actually being screwed down.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea but I like it.
View attachment 298864
View attachment 298867 View attachment 298868 View attachment 298869 View attachment 298865 View attachment 298866
Can’t believe nobody asked this, hopefully you can answer this, but what spoiler is this? I’ve been looking for one for my 19 Impreza

·
Registered
230 Posts
Now that you've got it painted and fitted, I'd love a post-several-miles of dirt road report on whether the rear window/rear of the car stayed cleaner or not. I'm guessing...not really if at all. But the color-matching paint looks really nice!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Now that you've got it painted and fitted, I'd love a post-several-miles of dirt road report on whether the rear window/rear of the car stayed cleaner or not. I'm guessing...not really if at all. But the color-matching paint looks really nice!
I honestly haven't had a chance to drive the car that much due to the COVID lock down. I haven't forgot about your inquiry so I will make sure to snap a pic for you as soon as I get a chance to drive it again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
It doesn't really help much with the dust and dirt. The only real visible different is when driving in the rain where the longer spoiler prevents the upper portion of the windshield from getting wet. Picture below for your reference.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts