Subaru Crosstrek and XV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added a spoiler. Finally found one worth adding. I saw it in Japan on a recent trip and finally got my hands on one.

I technically did the serious test fitting yesterday and the actual installation today. Gloss black vinyl is coming tomorrow. Once I'm sick of that then I'll paint it CGK.

The spoiler is now leveled due to actually being screwed down.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea but I like it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. Please return your tray tables to their upright and locked positions in preparation for takeoff"

Seriously though, it doesn't look bad and kind of flows with the body shape.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks good from the side.

I would personally prefer something that replaces the OEM spoiler. Not a big fan of the doubled up look.
I appreciate your take on it and I agreed. If I had a choice I would do a straight replacement duckbill myself. This was the least intensive in terms of modifications needed for fitting.

I don't have the time to make a mold and go full stupid with this car. Someday I will. If it's still in one piece.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Yup, not my cup-o-tea but I like it. Even more if it could serve as a straight replacement.

Thought I saw it on another thread but I never commented; nice exhaust mod. Looks like the heat hasn't done any damage yet.

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,163 Posts
Yup, not my cup-o-tea but I like it. Even more if it could serve as a straight replacement.

Thought I saw it on another thread but I never commented; nice exhaust mod. Looks like the heat hasn't done any damage yet.
LOL, not my cup of tea, either! Plus, the mods don't meet the regulations here, and the OP is advertising the California plate...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The problem with this car is that there aren’t a lot of variety especially with direct replacement one-piece spoiler.

It would take a miracle to get that exhaust to melt the bumper. Unless there’s a turbo hanging off of the engine somehow.

·
Registered
2015 XV Premium, Desert Khaki
91 Posts
California can suck it as far as I'm concerned with all their BS laws that the rest of the country need to follow for some reason. Fix Skid Row for starters and then tell the rest of the US how to live. But anyway, it doesn't look bad and I've definitely seen worse lol

·
Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
10,163 Posts
California can suck it as far as I'm concerned with all their BS laws that the rest of the country need to follow for some reason. Fix Skid Row for starters and then tell the rest of the US how to live. But anyway, it doesn't look bad and I've definitely seen worse lol
Yeah, it sucks to live in a trailblazing state. And the weather sucks too. It's only 67F today - I may need to put on a long-sleeve shirt when I go out later... ?

·
Registered
34 Posts
California aside, its a DOT requirement to have some minimum surface area for reflectors. Granted, the new XVs have gone way overboard on their rear reflectors but none could get you pulled over. I don't think there are any reflectors integrated into the tail lights themselves but I could be wrong. The exhaust is pretty cool but I prefer function over form and since I can't do anything note worthy to increase engine horse power, I wouldn't bother with a performance exhaust. They're just not very hack-able like the WRX. You would think that with as many as there are on the road, somebody would have come up with some decent upgrades. I'd love to do a 2.5 conversion on my '15 or something like that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
California aside, its a DOT requirement to have some minimum surface area for reflectors. Granted, the new XVs have gone way overboard on their rear reflectors but none could get you pulled over. I don't think there are any reflectors integrated into the tail lights themselves but I could be wrong. The exhaust is pretty cool but I prefer function over form and since I can't do anything note worthy to increase engine horse power, I wouldn't bother with a performance exhaust. They're just not very hack-able like the WRX. You would think that with as many as there are on the road, somebody would have come up with some decent upgrades. I'd love to do a 2.5 conversion on my '15 or something like that.
You're absolutely right on the reflectors. Integrating the reflectors into the tail lights is not cost effective. Throwing the reflectors onto the rear bumbler to satisfy DOT is. I've had my experiences with the California Air Resource Board as well. The car is absolutely hopeless in terms of power mods. That's why I'm not touching the engine until i can find a wrecked STI.

The reflectors are an easy fix to be honest. Since I'm opening the tail lights for a tail-as-turn conversion anyway. Even if I'm not going that route it would be easy to implement the reflectors to the rear end.

The exhaust and spoiler are as useless as can be. These are things that I did to just make up for the shortcomings of the aesthetics of the car itself. I had a few parts laying around and I have access to the Japanese market so it was simply a blank canvas. If I wanted to go crazy then I would do an RPM actuated 3" exhaust with an UEL header but that's just a waste of money for the negative gains.

Swapping an engine on these should not be hard. How much you want to spend to do it correctly with full OBD2 functionality is a whole different matter of its own.

Glad you chimed in. Happy motoring!

Edit: Once i have my Bilsteins and RS-R on I'm done with this thing. Funnest slow car I've ever taken ownership of. Back to my weekend toy.

·
Registered
273 Posts
California aside, its a DOT requirement to have some minimum surface area for reflectors. Granted, the new XVs have gone way overboard on their rear reflectors ...
The giant rear reflectors are not a US DOT requirement per se. In Euro cars, and for the Crosstrek/XV, those are actually the housings for the required rear fog lamps. US does not require fog lights/lamps on vehicles. The Crosstrek/XV is a world platform, pretty much the same car sold everywhere on the planet with small differences, such as of engine offered (Euros get the 1.6 liter). Euros have the reflectors with fog lamps as required for all vehicles. US gets just the giant reflectors to fill the hole that would otherwise be there. In Europe, nobody would be removing/would be allowed to remove the fog lamps/reflectors just to poke though some bling exhaust tips.

I had a 2003 Impreza TS wagon, which was the low trim end of the Imprezas. Did not have driving lights. Instead, these big plastic color matched covers were installed to cover the holes in the bumper. Had a buddy who joked they looked weird and I should install front facing speakers. Looking back, I suppose I could have poked exhaust tips through the covers. : ' )

·
Has Butch tires
2018 Orange Subaru Crosstrek Limited
747 Posts
The giant rear reflectors are not a US DOT requirement per se. In Euro cars, and for the Crosstrek/XV, those are actually the housings for the required rear fog lamps. US does not require fog lights/lamps on vehicles. The Crosstrek/XV is a world platform, pretty much the same car sold everywhere on the planet with small differences, such as of engine offered (Euros get the 1.6 liter). Euros have the reflectors with fog lamps as required for all vehicles. US gets just the giant reflectors to fill the hole that would otherwise be there. In Europe, nobody would be removing/would be allowed to remove the fog lamps/reflectors just to poke though some bling exhaust tips.

I had a 2003 Impreza TS wagon, which was the low trim end of the Imprezas. Did not have driving lights. Instead, these big plastic color matched covers were installed to cover the holes in the bumper. Had a buddy who joked they looked weird and I should install front facing speakers. Looking back, I suppose I could have poked exhaust tips through the covers. : ' )
Wow, that's brilliant. I had no idea about European fog lights. Went on line and it seems to me that these lights would make American cars quite a bit easier to see in really bad weather. I wonder if they can be easily added?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Im digging the spoiler...Looks killer.

Reactions: Agent0024
1 - 20 of 42 Posts