Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The posted image from the user manual describes an experience I had. The Adaptive Cruise Control was slowing the car, but the warning came on. My question is.....if the car can sense that I need to apply the brake, shouldn't the car do that automatically, instead of hoping I do so.

That incident sort of....makes me leery of the Adaptive Cruise Control braking working all the time. Such that, as my car slows, but if it seems not slowing enough, I want to use the brakes myself, even if that would not be needed if I waited a bit longer.

Make sense? Comments? Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 Crosstrek Limited
1,266 Posts
The system is constantly detecting and analyzing a lot of data and situations. It may have been slowing down on the anticipated braking of the vehicle ahead of you but then from the distance calculated that the vehicle had come to a sudden slowdown or complete stop faster than the speed you're traveling anticipated. In that case the warning is that you should brake to avoid an abnormal situation. Yes, the car itself would brake but in emergency mode. ACC is for the norm. On top of that you have emergency detection and features that kick in for you. In either case, this is one helluva safe car to drive.

Reactions: Dezlboy

·
Registered
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
8,724 Posts
I've had that happen with the ACC set to follow too closely and the guy in front brakes hard. Try increasing the space.

Reactions: Dezlboy

·
Registered
'19 Limited
42 Posts
My $.02.

I am ultimately responsible for the operation of a vehicle I drive.

While I enjoy the assistance of the ACC, it is my judgment that rules.

It is my intention to never rely on a algorithm to replace my judgment and as such if the ACC is not managing the closure to my comfort, I brake. If I see the "Obstacle Detected", I have failed.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think the issue is that too many people hear "adaptive cruise control" and think "autopilot" and that could be a fatal mistake. Our eyesight systems are cool, but they are rudimentary technology compared to actual autopilot systems. They're primary purpose is safety, to keep you from rear-ending the car in front you, not providing the smoothest most enjoyable ride (I can only assume Subaru's inevitable autopilot will be named Eyedrive ?). Eyesight should not be relied on or trusted to bring the car to a complete on its own above 25ish mph. Yes in certain situations it certainly can bring the car to a comfortable stop from that speed but in the majority of those cases Eyesight is slowing the car in relation to the car in front, who is actually the one controlling the rate of deceleration, not Eyesight. Its just playing follow the leader.

The Eyesight system does not have that much range. I have found maybe 100-150yds at best in good conditions. Often it is less than that when the system finally recognizes the car in front. If you come up on a stopped or slow moving vehicle it really only has enough range to recognize a car in front is stopped and bring the Subaru to a.. hasty stop, preventing collision but not very gracefully. Plus, you will likely scare the heck out of your passengers as the system will cut it very close.

The point I am trying to make is that Eyesight and ACC are collision prevention systems but not completely autonomous systems. Sure the ACC handles throttle fluctuations and the occasion light braking but as soon as you notice hard braking ahead of you, you should prepare yourself to take over immediately. Then once traffic is moving again, reactivate. Eyesight even works like a champ in slow speed stop and go but it should never be solely relied on for sudden, aggressive high speed deceleration.

·
Registered
2018 CGK Limited CVT
27 Posts
I agree with what others have said, but another thing to note is that if you don't respond to the warning and you get closer to the object without slowing to a safe speed, the ACC will SLAM on the brakes. This is great to avoid accidents when you need braking to happen faster than you can react, but it has happened to me when I was cut off in traffic and it is quite jarring.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The driver drives the car, not EyeSight. That said, EyeSight has intervened a couple of times for me when things could have gotten all crunchy real fast. No fault with the wetware behind the wheel, EyeSight simply reacted faster when knucklehead opted to do a lane change 2-feet off my starboard bow at 65 mph, or knucklehead did a right turn into my lane though I had the green light. I was already on the brake and reacting, but EyeSight was quicker.

·
Registered
60 Posts
While in adaptive cruise, a sheet of bubble wrap blew up in front of car. It momentarily braked, the sheet blew under the car. It was just a momentary brake. Don't know if the obstacle warning came on, it was too quick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts