Subaru XV Crosstrek Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
The range of OEM accessories offered or endorsed by Subaru in Australia is very limited compared to other markets. Just wondering which OEM and/or aftermarket the Aussie contingent has been finding, purchasing and installing and how well it is working. 馃惃

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
BODY SIDE MOLDINGS
Living in a busy tourism region with side by side parking, our Honda copped a lot of car door dings along both sides. Our first purchase for the XV was the OEM body side moldings from an Australian Subaru dealership via eBay.
The quality of course is great and it's already evident the paintwork has been saved a few times from the dreaded dings.
Installation was easy with peel and stick but challenging without any instructions or templates to follow for placement so a little fiddling around with measuring and painter's tapes. We were disappointed only black mouldings (not the colour coded ones) were available at the time. Overall, very happy. 馃惃

Registered
The range of OEM accessories offered or endorsed by Subaru in Australia is very limited compared to other markets. Just wondering which OEM and/or aftermarket the Aussie contingent has been finding, purchasing and installing and how well it is working. 馃惃
Available in Australia but not in North America are the clear headlight protectors. I had them on my previous Impreza but they're not available here for the Crosstrek. They saved my Impreza headlights time and again so I asked my Oz cousin to send me some. I have a 18MY and he sent the ones for the 17MY. There was a slight body change and they don't fit. Pity.

Prefers non-orange cars
'18 and '19 Crosstrek Limiteds
BODY SIDE MOLDINGS
Living in a busy tourism region with side by side parking, our Honda copped a lot of car door dings along both sides. Our first purchase for the XV was the OEM body side moldings from an Australian Subaru dealership via eBay.
The quality of course is great and it's already evident the paintwork has been saved a few times from the dreaded dings.
Installation was easy with peel and stick but challenging without any instructions or templates to follow for placement so a little fiddling around with measuring and painter's tapes. We were disappointed only black mouldings (not the colour coded ones) were available at the time. Overall, very happy. 馃惃
This!! ^^

I have posted pics in other threads here about them and how they have saved our paint many times. We were able to get the color-coded ones, at a discount.

No instructions or templates until I figured out that we needed to use the Impreza template (99% same car)... 馃樃

Reactions: SubieSubieDo

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Available in Australia but not in North America are the clear headlight protectors. I had them on my previous Impreza but they're not available here for the Crosstrek. They saved my Impreza headlights time and again so I asked my Oz cousin to send me some. I have a 18MY and he sent the ones for the 17MY. There was a slight body change and they don't fit. Pity.
Yes. I was surprised the new global platform vehicles were released here before North America.
I know it's been noted before and it is funny we often want what we can't have. Which provence do you live in? We visited BC and Alberta. Beautiful part of the world. 馃惃

Registered
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
REAR SEAT BACK CARGO NET (FORESTER)
Using my XV for work means keeping it as clean, tidy and safe as possible for transporting and providing services to senior citizens. I need to safely stow some long flat items in the car at all times and out of the way of work items. The rear seat back cargo net is perfect but not available here. I took a punt and ordered the OEM net for the Forester from the USA. I figured it may work because "Hey, Global Platform". Finally got around to installing the mushroom hooks for the net today.
Another OEM product without instructions.
TOOLS NEEDED: a drill, 1 x 3.5 mm drill bit for pilot hole, 1 x 12mm drill bit for anchor plug hole
ORDER OF ASSEMBLY: (Left to Right)
IMG_20200805_105742.jpg
STEP 1: Locate "dimple" for drill point
IMG_20200805_105941.jpg
STEP 2: Drill pilot hole (3.5mm)
Pilot hole.jpg
STEP 3: Drill anchor plug hole (12mm)
Anchor plug hole.jpg
(some of the white insulation material grabbed on to the bit at this point, just put the drill into reverse and slowly extract the drill)
STEP 4: Insert anchor plug
Insert Anchor Plug.jpg
STEP 5: Screw the mushroom fitting clockwise into the anchor plug until snug (I held the washers level as the mushroom began to tighten into the anchor plug)
Keeping the washers even.jpg
STEP 6: There is no anchor point for the bottom clips and the cargo tray is in the way so I simply hooked the clips to the adjacent baby seat anchor points
Bottom hooks to baby seat anchor point.jpg
Then slipped the elastic loops at the top of the net over the mushrooms. There are little notches to keep the elastic in place
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Mushroom installed.jpg
Very straightforward installation and really happy with the finished result.

Attachments

Registered
I鈥檓 curious at to how difficult and economic ordering OEM accessories from Japan would be, especially for Aussies. Subaru Canada also has a pile of uninteresting at their disposal, less than the US and most of them more expensive; except for the Thule wheel step which is, oddly enough, cheaper.

As expected, Japan have a pile of offerings unavailable elsewhere. Granted, many of the offerings hold little value, to me anyway, but I鈥檝e been tempted a few times. Who doesn鈥檛 want a retractable parking guide antenna? Lol, kidding but there are some more useful items. Germany had something I wanted as well but I couldn鈥檛 find it the last time I went.

The body side mountings have saved my doors from a number of dings. The parts themselves are now chunked and scratched in many places but they only seem to work well when parked beside a car with similar characteristics. I also have dings and scratches higher then the mounding thanks to trucks and lower than the molding thanks to saloons and coupes. I鈥檓 still trying to figure out a long low scratch and my best guess is a shopping cart.

Available in Australia but not in North America are the clear headlight protectors ... There was a slight body change and they don't fit. Pity.
I went straight for the Xpel film on the front end, including lights. They鈥榬e much cheaper than the clip-on protectors.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I鈥檓 curious at to how difficult and economic ordering OEM accessories from Japan would be, especially for Aussies.

The body side mountings have saved my doors from a number of dings. The parts themselves are now chunked and scratched in many places but they only seem to work well when parked beside a car with similar characteristics. I also have dings and scratches higher then the mounding thanks to trucks and lower than the molding thanks to saloons and coupes. I鈥檓 still trying to figure out a long low scratch and my best guess is a shopping cart.
Sadly the Australian dollar and the cost of freight/postage makes most purchases from overseas too expensive. The cargo net being small and lightweight as well as a rarity was worthwhile. I just realised I ordered the net from the Canadian site and it came in at $60 AUD including postage which is the same price the Outback one sells for here. Outback is the only Australian rear seat cargo net available here and not the same size/shape.
Poor Stamford. It's disheartening the side body moldings don't prevent all parking dings and the etiquette of holding the door by the edge when alighting to prevent said dings has died out. Plus cars seem to be getting bigger while the marked parking spaces remain the original size leading to being more selective about where and which vehicles to park next to. SIGH.

Registered
There isnt a lot available direct for the XV market in Australia. There are suppliers who will import items from overseas though but at a heavily inflated price.

I noticed this with the LP aventure bar guard, deflector plate and skid plate I bought. Took 4-6weeks to get here thru AWD enhancements in NSW. Bloody expensive but it was the best looking kit available and I didnt want to cheap out with a rubbish ebay item. Overall, I am very happy with the product. its robust and no one in South Australia has one like it that I have seen.

As for other items. Light bars are a plentiful and lots of places supply them depending on your budget and size. Again, I went with a Stedi ST4K light bar. Got from Stedi themselves in Australia and spoke to an Aussie rep who helped me choose. Had the best mounting system on offer that would be easy to mount to the LP bar without modifications. So I paid a bit more than the average unit you would get from Supacheap auto but been very happy with how well the product is made, how much throw it has and how easy it was to mount.

Roof racks are beginning to be more available now as its a straight forward addition to any CUV. So the likes of Rola Rack, Thule, Yakima, Rhino Rack and other brands including Aldi have an option available. Pretty reasonable prices depending on where you buy them. I went with the Yakima Whispbar for a more stealth look. Got them for what I consider to be the cheapest price online and they were delivered within a week.

side awnings, well price wise its hard to beat 4wd supacenter for those. They also have a lot of other camping and off road parts available that are for universal vehicles. They also have a destribution center in each major city I believe so you can go in and check out the demo models for yourself before you buy. It all depends on what you want.

One thing I found a bit harder to find was unique wheels for the XV. I know you can get some generic ones from Bob Jane or Beaurepaires but the are designed for the street and who knows what they will be like off road. I went the Motegi MR118's mainly because there arent many XV's out there which have that model. Plus I wanted to keep a 17" wheel to keep it legal. being an XV-S, the smallest on the placard I could legally go was a 17" wheel. But I also wanted a little more side wall for off road use. I came in handy on the weekend just gone. Tyre sizes for all terrains was harder to find without it affecting the speedo too much.

Thats all I can think of for now. I will be getting a HD tow bar fitted with an electronic brake control unit and anderson plug arrangement soon. Not a cheap exercise but I plan on buying one of those pop up A frame campers from Avan. Lightweight and is like a little home.

Registered
The lack of switches on the market here is a bit sad. I added spotlight to my Toyota truck and had multiple local option for OEM look switches that plug straight in. Added a light bar to my wifes XV (we are regional) and nada. After looking at various ways to mount a switch in the existing blanks, I went with one of the SMK ones from the US. With shipping it ends up being triple what the truck switch was but it looks decent in a relatively new car and supports someone who bothers to support us Subaru Dash Switch Type IV 3D Printed | Etsy

Registered
To add on to the list, I have nudge bar from ecb, towbar from hayman reese, plastic floor mats from 3d mats, rear seat back protector imported from US (for Crosstrek but fits XV perfectly).

Registered
I鈥檝e just done cosmetic stuff: Rolas, Thule wind deflector, and some stick-on plastic chrome: headlight surrounds, fog light surrounds, lower door strips, tailgate strip, rear logo panel, rear fog light surrounds, chrome strips on external mirrors, vent and door handle surrounds; rear lower reflectors are now lit, plus L-shape DRLs at the front replaces the standard plastic chrome trim. Dealer had to agree that my 4 nets in the back are 60% cheaper from AliExpress than from Subaru everything fitted perfectly, all peel & stock other than the roof hardware & front & rear light wiring

Registered
14 XV 09 Prez 10 IOS
Another user is from Australia (ScoobyXV-L) and is the reason I started posting here because I liked their mods. Granted theirs may be older than yours but they seemed to have a good grasp on parts for the crosstrek. I ordered several things from there and I am in the US which seems is the land of plenty (from what has been written) but I have yet to find that cornucopia.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
To add on to the list, I have nudge bar from ecb, towbar from hayman reese, plastic floor mats from 3d mats, rear seat back protector imported from US (for Crosstrek but fits XV perfectly).
My 3D Maxpider mats arrived in the post today while I was at work. Going to fit them in the morning if not still pouring with rain. Quality seems nice.

Registered
My 3D Maxpider mats arrived in the post today while I was at work. Going to fit them in the morning if not still pouring with rain. Quality seems nice.
Congrats on the mats!
Mine fit surprisingly well to the floor contours and have saved my floor many times from needing a deep clean.
For some reason our cat enjoys using them as a toilet...

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
Thoughts on the mats? Also, do you have a link?
Hey @SBXVaus this is the link Tru-Fit Carpets & Vinyls by Vision Auto Pty/Ltd
They seem to be out of stock at the moment but keep checking because they come in and out of stock. It's been pouring with rain and I've been working so I've only had a change to throw in the driver's mat so far. What I like: they cover the metal footrest/dead pedal (not slippery now) and the little hump under the accelerator pedal where I notice the carpet is already wearing a little. This is more coverage than the OEMs. The fit to the floor contour is really good except for the area around the petrol cap release. There is a gap at one at one edge of about 1cm where the dirt and water can still get in. They seem to have tweaked the design so if you had factory fitted mats you can still use the little twist locks. Not really needed though because the grip from the maxpider side is really strong. The quality seems really good. I'll take some photos later today when I've fitted them all. Along with the driver's mat I got wet and dirty yesterday while working so you can see how the coverage is and the spread of the dirt. Pretty happy so far (y)(y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats on the mats!
Mine fit surprisingly well to the floor contours and have saved my floor many times from needing a deep clean.
For some reason our cat enjoys using them as a toilet...
Thanks @wwwsam Looking forward to fitting all of them and seeing how they wear. Really like the driver's one so far.
Every cat's a critic eh?

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
I鈥檝e just done cosmetic stuff: Rolas, Thule wind deflector, and some stick-on plastic chrome: headlight surrounds, fog light surrounds,
Nothing wrong with a bit of cosmetic surgery ;) My car is very dark (black and dark blue) and I've been thinking of adding the chrome for highlights. Are you happy with the fog light surrounds?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts